LEWIS CO VS SUMMERTOWN ANOTHER BARN BURNER

selectedgrain

• 2 weeks later...

yea, not so much.  Faceguarding your transfer when she's not worthy of being faceguarded is just cheap.  She had the crowd completely against her (her supposed friends) and any coach watching film of the Summertown team knows that all you have to do is play defense on her and she's not any more a threat than the other 4 on the floor.  What I saw was a game plan to not let 'her' beat them.  Granted, The Summertown team didn't show up or even attempt to shoot anything like the few games I've seen of them previous to this, so I wish it had been a better game than it was.  I even sat on the Lewis Co side and wish I hadn't.  Cheap is what it was.

The one guarding her was my daughter she was just doing what she was told to do both games and when she was on her in both games zero pts. as far as against her not me her parents did what they thought was in the best faith for lauren

and as a parent i respect that. She is a good player. As a Coach i guess he did what he thought he need to do to try a win a game. No hard feelings from me as a parent if you have a chance to better your own by all means go for it and with what i see keeping up with Stown she is doing well as the team is best of luck during tourney

yea, not so much. Faceguarding your transfer when she's not worthy of being faceguarded is just cheap. She had the crowd completely against her (her supposed friends) and any coach watching film of the Summertown team knows that all you have to do is play defense on her and she's not any more a threat than the other 4 on the floor. What I saw was a game plan to not let 'her' beat them. Granted, The Summertown team didn't show up or even attempt to shoot anything like the few games I've seen of them previous to this, so I wish it had been a better game than it was. I even sat on the Lewis Co side and wish I hadn't. Cheap is what it was.

No offense. But it sounds to me you are speaking from ignorance of the whole thing. She was face guarded because if you leave her out there she will hit 11 three pointers and break a school record. Good thing Lewis Co knows this and knew how to shut that part down. Also it's not smart of S'town to run some of the same plays Lewis runs. Surely he knows we practice defense on those plays. And yes everyone who knows basketball can look at "our transfer" and tell that you can put defense on her and she quits. She shuts down. However, she is a good ball player when she is left open. Our crowd wasn't against "her". Our crowd was against someone spreading lies and making their selves look like a "bully victim". Heck, at the beginning of the season when we played them first our team walks in and sees S'Town boys chest painted saying "she's ours now". Ok? Well guess what? You want rub it in our faces she left because she felt she couldn't be a star on the LC team? Ok. Now when we reply to those skinny Chest being painted we are called bully's. LoL @ that. My heart actually goes out to her. She would have made the 1000 point club at LC. She can't now. However she did break S'Town 3 point record. But her name can and I am sure will be knocked off of that soon. But 1000pt no one can take that away from you. But oh well. Just know there is always another side. Not cheap play but smart.

No offense. But it sounds to me you are speaking from ignorance of the whole thing. She was face guarded because if you leave her out there she will hit 11 three pointers and break a school record. Good thing Lewis Co knows this and knew how to shut that part down. Also it's not smart of S'town to run some of the same plays Lewis runs. Surely he knows we practice defense on those plays. And yes everyone who knows basketball can look at "our transfer" and tell that you can put defense on her and she quits. She shuts down. However, she is a good ball player when she is left open. Our crowd wasn't against "her". Our crowd was against someone spreading lies and making their selves look like a "bully victim". Heck, at the beginning of the season when we played them first our team walks in and sees S'Town boys chest painted saying "she's ours now". Ok? Well guess what? You want rub it in our faces she left because she felt she couldn't be a star on the LC team? Ok. Now when we reply to those skinny Chest being painted we are called bully's. LoL @ that. My heart actually goes out to her. She would have made the 1000 point club at LC. She can't now. However she did break S'Town 3 point record. But her name can and I am sure will be knocked off of that soon. But 1000pt no one can take that away from you. But oh well. Just know there is always another side. Not cheap play but smart.

I will never blame a kid for transferring if they feel like they are not part of a "team". To your point of her not making the LC 1000 point club, maybe she is a team player and not an "I" player. Getting 1000 points in your career is an excellent accomplishment, but if you start or continue your high school basketball career thinking about scoring 1,000 pts. your selfish. And to the remark of "not smart of Summertown running those play". They had 3 games that week when they played last, I am sure his focus was winning those 2 district games and winning the district title with those wins. Not saying the outcome would have been any different, but I doubt changing what they do for 1 game would have been best for the team. Congrats Lewis County, y'all ar a AA team that beat a A team, and that was the only ranked team y'all played, thus the #100 ranked strength of schedule. Summertown played in 13 games against ranked teams, contributing to their #3 strength of schedule ranking. Lewis County did win both matchups, Summertown was 3-2 against AA teams, 1 of those wins was against yalls district champion Creek Wood. You also showed your class, or lack of, when you make comments like "she quit", "not very smart by the coach", "speaking from ignorance" and skinny chested kids. I am sure her record will fall, records are meant to be broken. The real world doesn't judge people by what "club" your were in, but the kind of person you are. I don't even know who you are or who your kid is, I can only go by your post. Hopefully your kid joins or already has joined the team 1000 point club, but apparently she wasn't worthy of a face guard, Summertown has face guarded people when it was warranted. Good Luck with the rest of the season.

I will never blame a kid for transferring if they feel like they are not part of a "team". To your point of her not making the LC 1000 point club, maybe she is a team player and not an "I" player. Getting 1000 points in your career is an excellent accomplishment, but if you start or continue your high school basketball career thinking about scoring 1,000 pts. your selfish. And to the remark of "not smart of Summertown running those play". They had 3 games that week when they played last, I am sure his focus was winning those 2 district games and winning the district title with those wins. Not saying the outcome would have been any different, but I doubt changing what they do for 1 game would have been best for the team. Congrats Lewis County, y'all ar a AA team that beat a A team, and that was the only ranked team y'all played, thus the #100 ranked strength of schedule. Summertown played in 13 games against ranked teams, contributing to their #3 strength of schedule ranking. Lewis County did win both matchups, Summertown was 3-2 against AA teams, 1 of those wins was against yalls district champion Creek Wood. You also showed your class, or lack of, when you make comments like "she quit", "not very smart by the coach", "speaking from ignorance" and skinny chested kids. I am sure her record will fall, records are meant to be broken. The real world doesn't judge people by what "club" your were in, but the kind of person you are. I don't even know who you are or who your kid is, I can only go by your post. Hopefully your kid joins or already has joined the team 1000 point club, but apparently she wasn't worthy of a face guard, Summertown has face guarded people when it was warranted. Good Luck with the rest of the season.

A very nicely worded retort...bravo !!

I don't know any of the politics behind the move. Don't care, really. But I did see the Clifton game where she hit 11 3's. she was 'on' and Clifton did nothing to get on her to stop the run. My observation was that there was no reason to faceguard her in the LC game or now, until she shows that she's having 'a night'. Her track record this year hasn't been dominant and in the games I've caught, she's only as much as a threat as any of the other top 7 on that team. The game plan looked to be to keep the transfer from looking good at her new home. Plain and simple. the Coach wasted a defensive player on a shooting guard that wasn't going to handle the ball and very rarely is any more of a problem than the other 4. Your mileage may vary, but I can name many other players in this area that I'd faceguard before her (until she got on a roll). I'll stick with keeping this in the category of 'cheap move' as if my opinion matters.

This thread is turning into a trainwreck. I was not in attendance at either game between Summertown/Lewis County, but I do have friends on both sides of this.

I would normally agree with posters that say "let transfers transfer" or whatever. I would have an issue with the transfer as a parent or coach, or even player, if the "transfer" went to camp with one team one week and go with another the following week. And from what I have been told we are not talking about a transfer that only got on the court in blowouts, we are talking about a transfer that started as a 10th grader. 

As far as student sections, I see that as a push. Both sides got their say in it, and it sound like it was quite mild. "She's ours now" vs. "You can keep her". I am quite sure the transfer's parents didn't go down and ask the Summertown students to take the paint off or cover up. Heck, they probably encouraged it and blew it up on social media or whatever. So, don't get all up in your feelings when you go to the other school and get what you get. Unless the student section painted that on their chest for Collinwood or Perry County or any other opponent, then it was directed at LC.

Coaches design game plans in order to win, and LC did that. If they allowed the transfer to get hot, by that time it would be too late. No dog in the hunt, but the plan seemed to work. 

The telling stat, not 1,000 points or 3-pt record, will be which team plays longer into the post season. "I am a 1,000 point scorer" that didn't make it out of regionals in high school, or "I broke the school record for 3's in a game" but didn't advance to sub state, both make the season a little less memorable. At least the transfer is just a junior, right?

Saw LC play 3 times this year, probably will see one more, and there is alot of truth in this post.

I dont see how you can fault a coach for scheming a game to limit opportunities for a good shooter to shoot. If they won the game, the scheme worked.