Success.

MDLTNHPZ

When do you consider a kid to be successful in regards to athletics? More so a kid that receives a scholarship or walk on status to college. Is it just receiving the opportunity? Is it taking advantage of the opportunity by getting an education while there? Very few will move on and play past college. What if they don't make it for whatever reason and come home? I had this conversation recently and wanted to bring it here for discussion. I realize success of any kid other than your own is not ours to judge. It's just a question. 

"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming."  ~ Coach John Wooden, UCLA Emeritus

Therefore, the success will depend upon the student-athlete and if they have reached their full potential. The question should not be focused on the outcome or the opportunity, but the process of becoming the best that individual is capable of becoming. 

With that being said, more often times than not, the recognition and "status" of the scholarship or opportunity is what many feel is more important.  I personally feel, the student-athlete should take full advantage of the opportunity and earn their education.  This will help them later in their life...much more than a playing career (for most all collegiate athletes). 

Collegiate athletics are more of a job than sport.  Some athletes who want the status aren't dedicated enough to endure the struggles and discipline it takes to fully take advantage of the opportunity.  

To answer you question... it's up to the individual. What is their thought and belief of success?