2017 Class AAA West Regional Boys' BB Tourney Breakdown (Regions 7 & 8)

kwc

East has won by 21,and 28 against Whitehaven. No one in their district has been close. L

No one from 15AAA can get close either.

Most teams left have good guard play and guards win games. East's guards are better than any guards in 15AAA and their bigs are far better than any team. They are pressing everyone all the time. No one else in Memphis is talented enough to handle that size and pressure for 32 min.

you dont think Southwind has a chance against them Edited by mcon6983

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont think Southwind has a chance against them

East has played in three (3) December tournaments that were heralded with top notched, nationally ranked prep school basketball teams. City school teams or private school teams usually get blown out by these nationally ranked prep school teams because those teams are comprised of players that are nationally ranked prep players. The sole purpose of those guys going to the prep school in the first place is to play against college level basketball players while in high school. East played in the championship game in all three of those tournaments. Winning one and losing two. A city school basketball team is usually put out in the first round of these types of tournaments. They don't consistently make it to the championship game of these types of tournaments.

East is just better then Southwind. I agree with TonyG ... East is better then anyone in AAA. Period.

Edited by kwc

East has played in three (3) December tournaments that were heralded with top notched, nationally ranked prep school basketball teams. City school teams or private school teams usually get blown out by these nationally ranked prep school teams because those teams are comprised of players that are nationally ranked prep players. The sole purpose of those guys going to the prep school in the first place is to play against college level basketball players while in high school. East played in the championship game in all three of those tournaments. Winning one and losing two. A city school basketball team is usually put out in the first round of these types of tournaments. They don't consistently make it to the championship game of these types of tournaments.

East is just better then Southwind. I agree with TonyG ... East is better then anyone in AAA. Period.

I'm not saying their not I know East is a beast and i know there are better than everyone I mean i think the closest game they have played against another city team was like 20 points but for the sake of conversation Southwind has guards and to compete with them not beat but not get blown out

I'm not saying their not I know East is a beast and i know there are better than everyone I mean i think the closest game they have played against another city team was like 20 points but for the sake of conversation Southwind has guards and to compete with them not beat but not get blown out

It could be a close game for sure. That game to me depends on which CJ will show up, sometimes he looks like the best kept secret of the city and sometimes he's a shell of him self so much that I dont know which player he truly is. If he can stretch the floor and knock down a few 3s I think they will have a fighter's chance bc Freeman shows up when the lights are bright regardless and I think he would have more success against Alo than Harris did. If the game happens, I'll tune in bc they are the only team in AAA that will keep it under 10 pts unless someone from outside of memphis holds the ball most of the game. 

I understand where you are coming from. Southwind's schedule is impressive in and of itself. I think East has to be aware that this is the one team that has a schedule that is close in comparison to East's. The Southwind vs East game is what everybody wants to see. If that game manifests ... it might be a pre cursor to the title game.

That being stated. East has to get past Ridgeway, and Southwind will have to beat Whitehaven. Neither of those games will be cake walks. We are in store for some very good competitive games.

Edited by kwc

2017 Class AAA West Regional Boys' BB Tourney Breakdown (Regions 7 & 8)

Ok ... I've given this some thought because it's that time of year. Trying to figure out who will represent the Memphis Area in the state tournament. I think it is a general consensus that East will be there. The million dollar questions is ... who will be the other team?

The State playoffs pair up neighboring Regions to play against each other in order to determine what teams will be able to compete for the state championship in their particular classification. There are eight (8) regions throughout the state with the eastern most region being number one (1) and the western most region being number eight (8). Each region is comprised of two (2) districts. Therefore, Region 7 is made up of Districts 13 & 14. Region 8 is comprised of Districts 15 & 16. The schools that come from the City of Memphis mostly belong to Districts 15, & 16. The one school that resides in the City of Memphis that is not in either of those two districts is Cordova, which is in District 14. I know most who frequent this forum and read the posts that pertain to Memphis area schools already know what I just stated above. This explanation is given for those who may read this and don't know.

Since I like braketology I've done the following:

I printed off the 2017 Class AAA West Regional Boys' Basketball Tournament bracket from the TSSAA website. Then I went to the CoachT rankings pages to see the standings in each district. The links are below.

Region 7:

District 13 : 1) Brighton [14-10], 2) Hardin Co. [15-5], 3) Dyer Co. [14-8], 4) Munford [6-16]

District 14: 1) Cordova [19-5], 2) Arlington, 3) Bartlett [14-13], 4) Bolton [5-14]

Region 8:

District 15: 1) Southwind [24-5], 2) Ridgeway [22-6], 3) Collierville [14-8], 4) Houston [15-10]

District 16: 1) East [23-3], 2) Whitehaven [18-6], 3) Central [16-8], 4) Melrose [12-14]

Using this information I filled out my brackets. The brackets will eventually get filled out at the TSSAA website when we get closer to those dates and after all of the preceding games have been playedI came away with the following:

1st Round (Regional Quarterfinals)

Region 7 (between Districts 13 & 14):

4) Bolton at 1) Brighton / 3) Dyer Co. at 2) Arlington

4) Munford at 1) Cordova / 3) Bartlett at 2) Hardin Co.

Region 8 (between Districts 15 & 16):

4) Melrose at Southwind / 3) Collierville at 2) Whitehaven

4) Houston at 1) East / 3) Central at 2) Ridgeway

My 1st round predictions based upon these pairings are as follows:

Region 7: 1) Brighton / 2) Arlington

1) Cordova / 3) Bartlett

Region 8: 1) Southwind / 2) Whitehaven

1) East / 2) Ridgeway

2nd Round (Regional Semifinals)

My 2nd Round predictions based upon the pairings are as follows:

Region 7: 2) Arlington / 1) Cordova

Region 8: 1) Southwind / 1) East

3rd Round (Regional Finals)

My 3rd Round predictions based upon the pairings are as follows:

Region 7: Winner - Cordova, Runner-up - Arlington

Region 8: Winner - East, Runner-up - Southwind

Sectionals ... The Sectionals are played to see who qualifies to play in the state. The pairings are comprised of the Winner of Region 7 plays the Runner-up of Region 8, and Vice Versa ... as follows:

4th Round (Sectionals)

R8RU) Southwind at R7W) Cordova

R7RU) Arlington at R8RU) East

My state qualifiers based upon the pairings are as follows:

Southwind and East

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's my stab at it. If I do it again tomorrow I might have Cordova beating Southwind in the Sectionals (That IS a homegame for Cordova). I might have Whitehaven beat Southwind in the Regional Semifinals. Who knows.

Comments are more then welcomed. They are essential to this thread being effective. So please, get in where you fit in!

Well ... my Region 8 bracket fell as I called it. The only mistake is Germantown is the R15#4 seed instead of  Houston. However ... The only two seeds I got right in Region 7 are Cordova and Brighton. However, I think everyone would agree that Region 7 is Cordova's to lose.

Let the games begin!

Edited by kwc

It could be a close game for sure. That game to me depends on which CJ will show up, sometimes he looks like the best kept secret of the city and sometimes he's a shell of him self so much that I dont know which player he truly is. If he can stretch the floor and knock down a few 3s I think they will have a fighter's chance bc Freeman shows up when the lights are bright regardless and I think he would have more success against Alo than Harris did. If the game happens, I'll tune in bc they are the only team in AAA that will keep it under 10 pts unless someone from outside of memphis holds the ball most of the game.

Cj hasn't been the same since he came back from injury but i do believe he is the key i just think they matchup as good as any team in the state they have size Kameron Jones has played very well this season and Robert Boyd even though he does not score a lot he rebounds and defends and the guards are not bad Mark has something you can't teach that dog in him even though i do believe East would find away to win i just think this would be a way better Game then East vs Cordova

Cj hasn't been the same since he came back from injury but i do believe he is the key i just think they matchup as good as any team in the state they have size Kameron Jones has played very well this season and Robert Boyd even though he does not score a lot he rebounds and defends and the guards are not bad Mark has something you can't teach that dog in him even though i do believe East would find away to win i just think this would be a way better Game then East vs Cordova

Cordova of this year or the matchup from last year? If last year's championship game, yeah i agree. Southwind has more than one person that can get a bucket unlike cordova.

I understand where you are coming from. Southwind's schedule is impressive in and of itself. I think East has to be aware that this is the one team that has a schedule that is close in comparison to East's. The Southwind vs East game is what everybody wants to see. If that game manifests ... it might be a pre cursor to the title game.

That being stated. East has to get past Ridgeway, and Southwind will have to beat Whitehaven. Neither of those games will be cake walks. We are in store for some very good competitive games.

yes we are it's just something missing with Whitehaven to me don't really know what is but they haven't really turned that corner yet

yes we are it's just something missing with Whitehaven to me don't really know what is but they haven't really turned that corner yet

Unfortunately the dog that the coach has in him can't be transferred to the players. Plus whitehaven doesn't shoot the 3 well enough to beat East. Outside of East and a few early season hiccups they have had a successful season. Turning the corner which lies East on the other side is a tough move ya know. 

Cordova of this year or the matchup from last year? If last year's championship game, yeah i agree. Southwind has more than one person that can get a bucket unlike cordova.

I think Rod is Cordova best player Tyler is probably the best shooter in the city but he doesn't do much else to me. And i was speaking as in terms of this season I think Southwind is vey dangerous this season and you are right they do have more than one player who can get a bucket.