2017 Class AAA West Regional Boys' BB Tourney Breakdown (Regions 7 & 8)

kwc

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was setting there thinking is this really about to happen Crutcher shot the cover off the ball the first half but East made adjustments at the and came out and stop him the Second half

Do you think they made adjustments or do you think coach Henning took his foot off the gas? In the third quarter i remember a few possessions of them stalling for a good look and beans got called for 5 seconds on one of those possessions and they looked up and East had the lead. Nothing really changed in the second half to me except for the bigs got it going and Crutcher didn't take a shot in the 3rd. And the charge he was called for down 5 with under two left was a killer. The right call, but it killed the momentum. I dont think they stopped Crutcher or Beans, noone on that team could stay in front of them. Moss was lost, and Lomax's bullying got him a few fouls trying to keep up with beans with the handchecking. 

Edited by TonyG

Do you think they made adjustments or do you think coach Henning took his foot off the gas? In the third quarter i remember a few possessions of them stalling for a good look and beans got called for 5 seconds on one of those possessions and they looked up and East had the lead. Nothing really changed in the second half to me except for the bigs got it going and Crutcher didn't take a shot in the 3rd. And the charge he was called for down 5 with under two left was a killer. The right call, but it killed the momentum. I dont think they stopped Crutcher or Beans, noone on that team could stay in front of them. Moss was lost, and Lomax's bullying got him a few fouls trying to keep up with beans with the handchecking.

A little bit of both and you are East does not have the good perimeter defenders they had last year in Carter and McGhee both T.j and Jayden Hardaway are kind of slow footed and i think they did play kind of tight with the lead but by adjustments i ment East especially Chandler who i still think is their best player was more aggressive the Second Half with A Team like East you have to land that knock out blow when you have a chance and Ridgeway did not Edited by mcon6983

East survives upset bid

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 10:10 p.m. CT Feb. 28, 2017 | Updated 11 hours ago

Anything can happen in Memphis high school basketball. And for one half at least, it looked like anything might.

Behind a terrific display of long-range shooting from Jalen Crutcher, Ridgeway built a 10-point halftime lead over defending AAA state champion and nationally-ranked East before the Mustangs got it going after the break and eliminated the Roadrunners, 74-64 at the Region 8 tournament Tuesday at Southwind.

Chandler Lawson scored 21 to lead the Mustangs (28-3). Alex Lomax finished with 18 and T.J. Moss added 14. Crutcher ended his high school career with a 21-point effort.

Southwind (30-5) also found itself in trouble as it trailed Whitehaven by eight early in the fourth quarter. But the Jaguars survived 57-52 behind 15 points from Carlos Marshall, 14 from Mark Freeman and 10 from Robert Boyd. Cameron Jones scored a game-high 18 to pace the Tigers.

REGION 7-AAA

Zachary Lewis scored 27 as tournament host Brighton made history by advancing to its first region final in school history, 64-63 over Bolton.

Ethan Bell added 13 for the Cardinals, who improve to 20-11. Decorrian Kelly led the Wildcats with 18 while Demico Young chipped in with 15.

Brighton will take on Cordova after last year's state runners-up used a big second half to run away from Arlington, 80-65. The Wolves got a huge effort from junior guard Tyler Harris, who poured in a season-high 45.

The winner of Brighton-Arlington will host the Southwind-East loser in the sub-state round while the Southwind-East winner will host the Brighton-Arlington loser.

REGION 8-AA

Sheffield advanced to the championship, pulling away in the second half to defeat Craigmont, 69-47.

Brownsville Haywood eliminated Douglass, 66-61, and will play the Knights for the title Thursday at 7 at Jackson Liberty Tech.

REGION 8-A

Mitchell stayed on track for a possible fourth straight state championship, defeating City University 66-57 in the semifinals at Jackson Christian.

Tomonique Marion scored 14 to lead the Tigers, while Mike Rice and Tyran Davis each had 10. Nikkia Jones scored 18 to lead City, which ends the season 20-9 under former Arkansas and Whitehaven star Ron Huery.

Mitchell's opponent Thursday at 7 will be Middleton, which got 17 points and 7 rebounds from Lequon Perry in a 66-57 victory over Memphis Academy of Science and Engineering. Arecko Gipson and Martez Cathey each scored 11 to lead the Phoenix, who are coached by former Memphis Tigers standout Marcus Moody and finish 20-8 after winning just six times in 2015-2016.

Edited by kwc

Region 8-AAA tournament schedules, results

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 6:13 p.m. CT Feb. 23, 2017 | Updated 11 hours ago

Here is the schedule for the boys Region 8-AAA basketball tournament. Quarterfinal games will be played at the home of the higher-seeded team while Southwind will host the semifinals and final. The region champion and runner-up advance to play in the sub-state round.

Boys

Feb. 25

(1) Southwind 76, (4) Melrose 57

(2) Whitehaven 58, (3) Collierville 47

(1) East 97, (4) Germantown 48

(2) Ridgeway 78, (3) Central 75

Tuesday

Southwind 57, Whitehaven 52

East 74, Ridgeway 64

Thursday at Southwind

Championship: Southwind (30-5) vs. East (28-3), 7 p.

Edited by kwc

A little bit of both and you are East does not have the good perimeter defenders they had last year in Carter and McGhee both T.j and Jayden Hardaway are kind of slow footed and i think they did play kind of tight with the lead but by adjustments i ment East especially Chandler who i still think is their best player was more aggressive the Second Half with A Team like East you have to land that knock out blow when you have a chance and Ridgeway did not

Ted and Courtney were stalwarts last year. Pig too, but he's the help 15 feet and in. Chandler did get it going second half and you saw East run some of their bread and butter plays for easy lobs when Ridgeway came back down to earth. You can't honestly expect a team to play like that two halves, but the shooting is what got them the 10 point lead and it should've been what lost them the game too.

Edited by TonyG

There are a few players in Memphis, and the state, that you can't keep in front of you:

Beans and Crutcher at Ridgeway

Freeman at Southwind

Johnson at Kirby

Taylor at Germantown

There are others but these guys are all in 15AAA

Ted and Courtney were stalwarts last year. Pig too, but he's the help 15 feet and in. Chandler did get it going second half and you saw East run some of their bread and butter plays for easy lobs when Ridgeway came back down to earth. You can't honestly expect a team to play like that two halves, but the shooting is what got them the 10 point lead and it should've been what lost them the game too.

I've said it before. 

There is no team in this state, maybe the Southeast region, that can withstand East for 32 mins.

If there was just Lomax/Moss, Lomax/Lawson, or Moss/Lawson and a few their bench then yea they could be beat. But... think about what they have.

Lomax, Moss, Lawson, Dandridge, Hardaway, Washington, Collum (their main 7)

The others on the bench could start at a lot of the schools in the city.

They're too big, too strong, and too skilled to be beat by the average school in a 32 min game.

I've said it before. 

There is no team in this state, maybe the Southeast region, that can withstand East for 32 mins.

If there was just Lomax/Moss, Lomax/Lawson, or Moss/Lawson and a few their bench then yea they could be beat. But... think about what they have.

They're too big, too strong, and too skilled to be beat by the average school in a 32 min game.

Just think. We are talking about Juniors and Sophomores with East; for the most part.

Edited by kwc

I've said it before. 

Their size is everything. Theirs alot of talent in midsouth period, but what sets them apart is the college roster size they have and having a PG that can manage all of that. I'll have to honestly say, after watching him going on 3 years now Lomax has truly come into his own role and expanded it even more. Lawson will get the tag of being the best player bc the length and skill for his classification, but without Lomax how well would this team honestly gel. I think you could win without Lawson(which they will do next year) before you win without Lomax.

Edited by TonyG

Side note: I dont have Cordova getting past thursday's loser at all, and i'm sure many people agree. But I could really see Harris at Ridgeway next year if he could clear TSSAA regulations. Cordova's roster will be depleted next year and Harris did play at Ridgeway with Crutcher in their younger days. 

Side note: I dont have Cordova getting past thursday's loser at all, and i'm sure many people agree. But I could really see Harris at Ridgeway next year if he could clear TSSAA regulations. Cordova's roster will be depleted next year and Harris did play at Ridgeway with Crutcher in their younger days. 

The age limit is: 

Section 9. No student shall be eligible to participate in any athletic contest during any school year if he/she becomes 19 years of age on or before August 1. The age rule may be waived for the Tennessee School for the Blind when this school is competing with other schools for the blind provided such schools are permitted by their state associations to waive the age rule in competing with other schools for the blind. 

https://tssaa.org/wp-content/uploads/handbook.pdf