6AAA 2017

PIONEERS12

You're right - I agree with the fact that they do have other kids that play defense. That particular night I commented, I was just a spectator and was frustrated for the poor kid because their shortstop and outfielders just had lazy attempts and drops and it was crazy because she was working her butt off. They do have a good catcher, but to say she is the best in the district is a stretch. I've seen them play probably 4 or 5 games and haven't seen her get on base yet, nor have I seen her throw anybody out. Now she can block the ball up and keep it from getting by her but their number one pitcher doesn't throw a lot that miss spots, so that doesn't really come into play unless one of their other pitchers is pitching. Their shortstop is hurting them somewhat because of her lack of effort. I also hugely agree that they have come leaps and bounds from last year and I too think it's largely in part to their coaches.

Warren has a good catcher, but you're definitely right about White County's catcher. Whew! Haven't gotten to see Stone or Rhea County so I cant really comment on them.

All in all, it's been fun to watch the competition and the shake up this year. Still think Cumberland's first baseman is definitely an all district kid!

Absolutely agree with you, momofoneplayer, so many levels!

I may be incorrect on the Cumberland catcher, but the games I have seen her play, she has done amazing, but have not seen her play every game, only half of their games.

And, I completely agee on the first baseman being an ALL DISTRICT player, she certainly fits the bill on that.  She is a VERY GOOD player who deserved that honor!!!!!

I also have seen Cookevilles catcher and she is one of the best as well in the district, based on watching her team play DeKalb, Warren, and Cumberland.

Now, I drove almost two hours yesterday to watch Rhea play White, not sure why I put myself into the position to be completely disgusted, but I love to watch kids from the travel ball team my kid plays on.  

I love to watch Rhea County Leah Price coach - She is one of the BEST at having her kids prepared for their games.  She got off to a slow start, and they are lacking in a power pitcher, but her players know how to run bases, know how to play fundamental softball in the infield and outfield. 

Rhea County, of course, beat White Co in a double header and one of the reasons for the losses were, White County had a couple of kids who DO NOT LISTEN to their HEAD COACH while running the bases.  And, now, mind you White County Head Coach is Michael Dodgen and he is smart, quick thinking, will fight for his kids, as shown with a HORRIFIC CALL by the field umpire who was pathetic, by the way. 

I am totally DISGUSTED seeing one of our kids for White County pitch her heart out and lose the games to STUPID ERRORS or players who can not move two steps to get to a ball.  I am totally disgusted seeing this kid be subjected to only throwing FASTBALL after FASTBALL after  FASTBALL - the kid has four moving pitches for goodness sake and who ever it is calling her pitches is as stupid as they come.  He needs to see her play in a tournament where she throws drops, curves, rises and change ups because she is a great pitcher brought down by total ignorance of the game.  Yes, I call it like I see it and my opinion is:  if you don't know the game, DON'T COACH and DON'T TRY TO CALL PITCHES, because every coach I talked to is laughing, knowing they will be inside or outside fastballs and they are licking their chops.  ANYBODY CAN HIT A FASTBALL!!!!!!   Believe me this man does not know the game.

Oh, he did call five or six change ups, but fastball inside and fastball outside.  

I know, I read his pitches all night, sitting across from him and by the second inning of the first game, I was calling what he was going to call for the rest of the game, missing only on five pitches through out the night. 

White County is FAR BETTER with Michael Dodgen, SO MUCH BETTER ON DEFENSE, Better Hitting the Ball, Better Hustle, Better ATTITUDE, BETTER OVERALL than they have been in the last four years.  But still they have three players with HORRIBLE ATTITUDES who would not ever play on our teams.  The CATCHER, just like you said, "WHEW" does not deserve to play that position - she dropped 11 pitches last night, she left home open with no one to cover, for no reason, can not FRAME A PITCH and I checked her laziness - it took her 33 seconds to walk from the pitchers circle to finally getting in her position at catcher before getting the pitches to get to the pitcher.  YES, 33 seconds.  SHE WALKED THAT SLOW TO HER POSITION.  She can hit but a catcher, she isn't.  I have watched their first baseman catch and she is by far the BEST CATCHER on the TEAM and possibly in the DISTRICT, but she doesn't even get to catch.  GO FIGURE!  

I AGREE 100% howdydoall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have watched White play as well and totally agree!

I have also seen Cumberland and agree on first and catcher. Two good ones there!

Gettin down to the wire and Warren has this district wrapped up - Cookeville will be second and Rhea should be third. From there, Cumberland, White and Stone. Really won't matter in the tournament, don't think any will get by the region teams.

Ok... I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak. I only have limited knowledge the teams in District 6AAA and I don't know but a very small handful of 6AAA players, none of which I can identify as those being discussed. My youngest daughter is in college and neither her older sister nor my two step-daughters came out of this district. So, no dog...

But I do follow fastpitch softball, mostly because fastpitch and youth athletics have been both my hobby and profession for a very, very long time as a player, coach, and instructor at literally every level... travel, high school, and college. 38 years actually.

Reading some of the posts in this thread has exhausted my normally excessive supply of duct tape... from taping my head tightly so my brain doesn't explode. 

I understand the typical complaints about bad calls, lackluster umpiring, questionable coaching, inadequate funding, poor support, etc. in softball. While I don't involve myself in those activities, I don't typically have problems when people post those criticisms on a public forum. Those complaints are aimed at adults, most or all of whom are being paid. 

What I cannot fathom is adults taking nasty, critical, open shots at teenagers participating in an extracurricular activity at their high school. 

I've attended literally hundreds of games over the years where one player stood out because she made too many errors or put forth too little effort, or showed too much attitude. I might, maybe, make mention of those things it to my wife, privately, after the game when we were alone in the car. Most of the time, she mentions it first, and my response is normally "I noticed that too," or "I agree." On a few occasions, when my teams were getting ready to play against that player on an opposing team who has demonstrated those tendencies, I might say to my players in the privacy of a pregame, players only meeting "the catcher tends to miss a lot of pitches." or "she is prone to dropping 3rd strikes," or "she doesn't always hustle after balls" to make sure we are prepared and ready to take advantage of those flaws and mistakes. But even with typical teenage immaturity, they fully understand that information is intended exclusively for our huddle as a game strategy to assist our team. I haven't had a single incident in all these years where a player tweeted or posted on a public forum how awful another player was or how we knew a particular player wasn't a very good player. Even immature teenagers understand the difference between a beneficial, private scouting report and an an effort to disparage young ladies. Of course we stress that, but I think their behavior would be the same even if we didn't.

Yet I read posts on this public forum which excoriate teenage athletes without a filter or tact. It is apparently not sufficient for some posters to say that a team has one or more players who make too many mistakes or too many errors, or appear to have poor attitudes. They seem hellbent upon pointing out particular teenage athletes in a way that those players are easily recognizable to others who are reading their posts.

I don't know Michael Dodgen. Never met him. Never seen him coach. Other than knowing he was the head coach, I've never heard anything about him outside of this thread. He might be the best softball coach in the state, but I have never observed him coach, so I cannot possibly have a legitimate opinion on him as a coach. But I have read in multiple posts that "he is smart, quick thinking, and will fight for his kids," his teams are known for "a lot of grit," and that "he has brought so much to his team in the area of good coaching, smart coaching, good base running, good fundamentals." I also read that "White County is FAR BETTER with Michael Dodgen, SO MUCH BETTER ON DEFENSE, Better Hitting the Ball, Better Hustle, Better ATTITUDE, Better ATTITUDE, BETTER OVERALL than they have been in the last four years." I have no reason to doubt that all those things are accurate and true, and I'm willing to embrace his excellence in coaching. I'm thrilled to see excellence in high school softball coaching. This has nothing to do with him or his abilities.

But the very same poster who wrote those things also said (capitalization was from the poster, not me):

White County lost a game to "STUPID ERRORS or players who cannot move two steps to get to a ball."

"White County had a couple of players who DO NOT LISTEN to their HEAD COACH while running the bases."

The coach calling pitches "is as stupid as they come" and "believe me this man does not know the game." (OK, this one was aimed at an adult, and I have to admit that I believe that the vast majority of coaches calling pitches in high school... and even perhaps travel and college... don't have a clue.)

The catcher "does not deserve to play that position."

"She dropped 11 pitches last night."

"she left home open with no one to cover, with no reason"

"she cannot FRAME A PITCH"

"I checked her laziness..."

To these things I can say after years of training and successful experience...

"Stupid errors" happen all the time. They even happen in the Women's College World Series with the best D1 players in the country on the best eight collegiate D1 teams in the country. They even happen in Major League Baseball with players making 5, 10, 15, 20 million dollars a year. And it happens i the MLB playoffs and World Series. It's part of the game. Players without the ability to move laterally or judge a fly ball are also commonplace in high school softball.

If, as a head coach, I have players who run bases poorly, hesitate when I send them, or run through stop signs in game 1 of a season or game 3 or perhaps even game 10, I spend entire practices (plural) working with them to improve their skills. Those are mistakes which come from poor coaching or a lack of coaching in previous years. We correct it quickly because good base running is a key to winning games and poor base running results in losses. If it's happening in game 15 or 20 or later, I've either failed to teach properly or the player is reluctant to coaching and should not be in the game. If players are making still making base running mistakes in late April, it can only be a result of poor coaching, players who consistently choose not to listen to the coach, or a "one off" mistake. The first falls squarely on the coach. The second also falls squarely on the coach as those players should no longer be allowed to be in the position to ignore the coach's direction. The third is just part of the game. It happens... travel, collegiate, professional. It's a learning experience. 

i wonder, with all the glowing and supportive things said about the coach, how a casual observer can conclude how a player "does not deserve" to play any position. Why is she playing catcher? Is it for political reasons? Is it because of favoritism? Is it because of seniority? If so, that is completely on the coach and he's not very "smart." Is it because playing her at catcher with a stronger catcher playing first a better option than the stronger catcher catching and another player playing first? That is a coach who is intelligently trying to make his/her team stronger. My oldest daughter was a fireballler with some pretty wicked movement. Her high school catcher really struggled with her. My travel catchers (and her college catchers at a ranked D1 program) handled her well. 41 dropped 3rd strikes in a single high school season. She was a pretty solid travel ball player with a strong bat who played RF on her travel team but caught for her high school team. She was in over her head. As frustrating as 41 dropped strikes (and a gazillion passed balls) were, that was a far better option than catcher #2 with her in the outfield. That's just part of high school ball... or any level of ball actually.

If the statement was "she dropped a lot of balls last night" I probably wouldn't have noticed this comment, although criticism being aimed specifically at a teenage, high school player would have still raised a red flag. Who counts dropped pitches? I do, with my OWN players, so I can work with them individually or at practice to help her be more successful. If I'm casually watching a game, I can't imagine actually keeping an accurate count. If not, I'm either making an estimate that is probably exaggerated or incorrect or I'm targeting one player for some reason that has nothing to do with improving her play. If I'm keeping an actual tally mark total, I really, really have some sort of warped agenda. 

I doesn't matter who the catcher was, she did NOT leave home open "with no reason." There was a reason. Maybe not a good reason, or maybe a mistake, but there was a reason. Did she just mindlessly wander over to the on deck circle and look at the clouds/stars? I'm thinking no. I've never seen that happen in 38 years. Not even once  I notice that there is no description as to what happened on the play? Did a run score while she was "wandering off"? Did multiple runs score? Where was the ball? Where exactly did she go when she was leaving the plate open? Was the pitcher behind the plate backing up the play as she should have been on a well coached team and the pitcher doing her job? Was she chasing a poorly thrown ball or a ball that got away? Yes, catchers will "occasionally" go to retrieve their mask or walk to toward the bench to hear instruction from the coach and forget to ask for time but that is a very, very rare mental mistake which normally only happens once at the beginning of their career as a catcher. But if she left the plate for any other reason, there should have been someone else there to cover... probably the pitcher. 

Who knows what "framing a pitch" means. If you are talking about pulling a pitch out of the left hand batter's box or a ball off the plate back over to the corner, there are only a very small handful of really crappy umpires who are actually fooled by that. You'll get maybe 3-5 extra strikes a season. And since those strikes only come from really crappy umpires, they are already calling mid shin pitches strikes and waist high outside corner pitches balls anyway (or who knows what they are calling), so "framing" doesn't even amount to a net gain or anything close to it. If you are talking about riding corner pitches or lower/upper strike zone pitches so that the glove ends up outside the zone to make them look like balls because of poor receiving skills, that is a skill that's taught by instruction and coaching.  

Laziness... Why would a coach allow a "lazy" catcher to remain their catcher? Favoritism maybe. Perhaps because the other options at catcher or less skilled or even more lazy. Perhaps because the player the coach would insert into the lineup due to moving someone being utilized at another position to catcher is even more lazy or less skilled at the position they would take? Can/t have it both ways. The coach is either smart enough to see the laziness or lack of ability and replace the player, or he/she doesn't see the lack of effort or skill, or there isn't a better option from a team standpoint, or he/she isn't much of a coach and/or can't develop players. Doesn't really matter. The only people who have the right to call out lazy play are: coach, parents of that player, teammates... and in private. Not on a public forum.

And OMG, does a casual observer actually put a stop watch on a catcher to see how long it took her to walk from the circle during a time out to her position behind the plate? Your 33 seconds is either a completely fabricated number, or there were other circumstances, or the coach who you rave about is COMPLETELY CLUELESS.  

I'm actually inclined to believe that there is some sort of bias toward this particular player from a desire to promote a pitcher and/or another player, I don't know, perhaps the first baseman or another player on the bench to whom you have an interest. I've had outstanding 3B on my team who were being recruited by college teams as a 3B moved to 1B in high school or solid 2B also being recruited by colleges as a middle infielder moved to LF on their high school teams, and I have thought that those decisions were crazy and perhaps even stupid. But to mercilessly bash the player who took their place on a public forum... or any place else... never crossed my mind. 

I don't know this young lady who is getting bashed on this board. Perhaps she really is a horrible player and should never see the field. If so, that is on the coach... but that coach shouldn't be the next incarnation of Pat Murphy, Tim Walton, or Patti Gasso to the same people ripping the player. I've never seen collegiate players who are getting significant amounts of scholarship money being ripped like this on college forums.

I fail to see any legitimate reason for an adult to rip an adolescent publicly like this. Either the coach is clueless (and can't teach, train, control his team, or make capable, responsible decisions on lineups and playing time), which has been countered repetitively by the adult poster, or there is an agenda... a very ugly agenda which is offensive and out of bounds. I can only imagine what the player and her parents are thinking when they read this crap. 

If someone needs to feel important or special by ripping other people for their inadequacies (most likely in areas/skills in which they could never perform themselves), at least limit it to criticism of adults who are being paid to perform. Bashing kids publicly is NEVER, EVER acceptable. And the level of bashing in this thread passed minor (or random thought) a long time ago. I can only imagine how outraged I would be if I actually knew this kid... or if she was my child.

I thought writing would allow me to calm down and lessen the agitation. The reverse turned out to be true. The more I write, the more incensed I've become, so it's time to stop writing. This is a kid. A real, living, breathing child who the coach (who has been praised) has seen fit to place in his lineup. It's high school softball, for crying out loud. It's a freaking game. And youth/school athletics is about building confidence, creating memories, and laying a foundation for success in adult life. It's most certainly NOT about blow hard adults tearing down teenagers, even if those teenagers have flaws and make mistakes. 

Edited by dore83

Dore83 that sure was a mouth full. A lot of great points. Out of the 8 district games I have watched this year ther have been passed balls drop 3rd strikes by every catcher including my daughters team. Like u said part of the game. I try my best to jus speak of the game and not players because like u said they r still kids. Also I wanted to say warren still has two very important games left. I also agree that it's gonna be tough for any of the teams in this district to make it thru regionals but I know a few teams that will not go down without a fight. Good luck to everyone in the district tournament see all u guys in Warren County for tournament

Edited by ryan665

Ok... I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak. I only have limited knowledge the teams in District 6AAA and I don't know but a very small handful of 6AAA players, none of which I can identify as those being discussed. My youngest daughter is in college and neither her older sister nor my two step-daughters came out of this district. So, no dog...

But I do follow fastpitch softball, mostly because fastpitch and youth athletics have been both my hobby and profession for a very, very long time as a player, coach, and instructor at literally every level... travel, high school, and college. 38 years actually.

Reading some of the posts in this thread has exhausted my normally excessive supply of duct tape... from taping my head tightly so my brain doesn't explode. 

I understand the typical complaints about bad calls, lackluster umpiring, questionable coaching, inadequate funding, poor support, etc. in softball. While I don't involve myself in those activities, I don't typically have problems when people post those criticisms on a public forum. Those complaints are aimed at adults, most or all of whom are being paid. 

What I cannot fathom is adults taking nasty, critical, open shots at teenagers participating in an extracurricular activity at their high school. 

I've attended literally hundreds of games over the years where one player stood out because she made too many errors or put forth too little effort, or showed too much attitude. I might, maybe, make mention of those things it to my wife, privately, after the game when we were alone in the car. Most of the time, she mentions it first, and my response is normally "I noticed that too," or "I agree." On a few occasions, when my teams were getting ready to play against that player on an opposing team who has demonstrated those tendencies, I might say to my players in the privacy of a pregame, players only meeting "the catcher tends to miss a lot of pitches." or "she is prone to dropping 3rd strikes," or "she doesn't always hustle after balls" to make sure we are prepared and ready to take advantage of those flaws and mistakes. But even with typical teenage immaturity, they fully understand that information is intended exclusively for our huddle as a game strategy to assist our team. I haven't had a single incident in all these years where a player tweeted or posted on a public forum how awful another player was or how we knew a particular player wasn't a very good player. Even immature teenagers understand the difference between a beneficial, private scouting report and an an effort to disparage young ladies. Of course we stress that, but I think their behavior would be the same even if we didn't.

Yet I read posts on this public forum which excoriate teenage athletes without a filter or tact. It is apparently not sufficient for some posters to say that a team has one or more players who make too many mistakes or too many errors, or appear to have poor attitudes. They seem hellbent upon pointing out particular teenage athletes in a way that those players are easily recognizable to others who are reading their posts.

I don't know Michael Dodgen. Never met him. Never seen him coach. Other than knowing he was the head coach, I've never heard anything about him outside of this thread. He might be the best softball coach in the state, but I have never observed him coach, so I cannot possibly have a legitimate opinion on him as a coach. But I have read in multiple posts that "he is smart, quick thinking, and will fight for his kids," his teams are known for "a lot of grit," and that "he has brought so much to his team in the area of good coaching, smart coaching, good base running, good fundamentals." I also read that "White County is FAR BETTER with Michael Dodgen, SO MUCH BETTER ON DEFENSE, Better Hitting the Ball, Better Hustle, Better ATTITUDE, Better ATTITUDE, BETTER OVERALL than they have been in the last four years." I have no reason to doubt that all those things are accurate and true, and I'm willing to embrace his excellence in coaching. I'm thrilled to see excellence in high school softball coaching. This has nothing to do with him or his abilities.

But the very same poster who wrote those things also said (capitalization was from the poster, not me):

White County lost a game to "STUPID ERRORS or players who cannot move two steps to get to a ball."

"White County had a couple of players who DO NOT LISTEN to their HEAD COACH while running the bases."

The coach calling pitches "is as stupid as they come" and "believe me this man does not know the game." (OK, this one was aimed at an adult, and I have to admit that I believe that the vast majority of coaches calling pitches in high school... and even perhaps travel and college... don't have a clue.)

The catcher "does not deserve to play that position."

"She dropped 11 pitches last night."

"she left home open with no one to cover, with no reason"

"she cannot FRAME A PITCH"

"I checked her laziness..."

To these things I can say after years of training and successful experience...

"Stupid errors" happen all the time. They even happen in the Women's College World Series with the best D1 players in the country on the best eight collegiate D1 teams in the country. They even happen in Major League Baseball with players making 5, 10, 15, 20 million dollars a year. And it happens i the MLB playoffs and World Series. It's part of the game. Players without the ability to move laterally or judge a fly ball are also commonplace in high school softball.

If, as a head coach, I have players who run bases poorly, hesitate when I send them, or run through stop signs in game 1 of a season or game 3 or perhaps even game 10, I spend entire practices (plural) working with them to improve their skills. Those are mistakes which come from poor coaching or a lack of coaching in previous years. We correct it quickly because good base running is a key to winning games and poor base running results in losses. If it's happening in game 15 or 20 or later, I've either failed to teach properly or the player is reluctant to coaching and should not be in the game. If players are making still making base running mistakes in late April, it can only be a result of poor coaching, players who consistently choose not to listen to the coach, or a "one off" mistake. The first falls squarely on the coach. The second also falls squarely on the coach as those players should no longer be allowed to be in the position to ignore the coach's direction. The third is just part of the game. It happens... travel, collegiate, professional. It's a learning experience. 

i wonder, with all the glowing and supportive things said about the coach, how a casual observer can conclude how a player "does not deserve" to play any position. Why is she playing catcher? Is it for political reasons? Is it because of favoritism? Is it because of seniority? If so, that is completely on the coach and he's not very "smart." Is it because playing her at catcher with a stronger catcher playing first a better option than the stronger catcher catching and another player playing first? That is a coach who is intelligently trying to make his/her team stronger. My oldest daughter was a fireballler with some pretty wicked movement. Her high school catcher really struggled with her. My travel catchers (and her college catchers at a ranked D1 program) handled her well. 41 dropped 3rd strikes in a single high school season. She was a pretty solid travel ball player with a strong bat who played RF on her travel team but caught for her high school team. She was in over her head. As frustrating as 41 dropped strikes (and a gazillion passed balls) were, that was a far better option than catcher #2 with her in the outfield. That's just part of high school ball... or any level of ball actually.

If the statement was "she dropped a lot of balls last night" I probably wouldn't have noticed this comment, although criticism being aimed specifically at a teenage, high school player would have still raised a red flag. Who counts dropped pitches? I do, with my OWN players, so I can work with them individually or at practice to help her be more successful. If I'm casually watching a game, I can't imagine actually keeping an accurate count. If not, I'm either making an estimate that is probably exaggerated or incorrect or I'm targeting one player for some reason that has nothing to do with improving her play. If I'm keeping an actual tally mark total, I really, really have some sort of warped agenda. 

I doesn't matter who the catcher was, she did NOT leave home open "with no reason." There was a reason. Maybe not a good reason, or maybe a mistake, but there was a reason. Did she just mindlessly wander over to the on deck circle and look at the clouds/stars? I'm thinking no. I've never seen that happen in 38 years. Not even once  I notice that there is no description as to what happened on the play? Did a run score while she was "wandering off"? Did multiple runs score? Where was the ball? Where exactly did she go when she was leaving the plate open? Was the pitcher behind the plate backing up the play as she should have been on a well coached team and the pitcher doing her job? Was she chasing a poorly thrown ball or a ball that got away? Yes, catchers will "occasionally" go to retrieve their mask or walk to toward the bench to hear instruction from the coach and forget to ask for time but that is a very, very rare mental mistake which normally only happens once at the beginning of their career as a catcher. But if she left the plate for any other reason, there should have been someone else there to cover... probably the pitcher. 

Who knows what "framing a pitch" means. If you are talking about pulling a pitch out of the left hand batter's box or a ball off the plate back over to the corner, there are only a very small handful of really crappy umpires who are actually fooled by that. You'll get maybe 3-5 extra strikes a season. And since those strikes only come from really crappy umpires, they are already calling mid shin pitches strikes and waist high outside corner pitches balls anyway (or who knows what they are calling), so "framing" doesn't even amount to a net gain or anything close to it. If you are talking about riding corner pitches or lower/upper strike zone pitches so that the glove ends up outside the zone to make them look like balls because of poor receiving skills, that is a skill that's taught by instruction and coaching.  

Laziness... Why would a coach allow a "lazy" catcher to remain their catcher? Favoritism maybe. Perhaps because the other options at catcher or less skilled or even more lazy. Perhaps because the player the coach would insert into the lineup due to moving someone being utilized at another position to catcher is even more lazy or less skilled at the position they would take? Can/t have it both ways. The coach is either smart enough to see the laziness or lack of ability and replace the player, or he/she doesn't see the lack of effort or skill, or there isn't a better option from a team standpoint, or he/she isn't much of a coach and/or can't develop players. Doesn't really matter. The only people who have the right to call out lazy play are: coach, parents of that player, teammates... and in private. Not on a public forum.

And OMG, does a casual observer actually put a stop watch on a catcher to see how long it took her to walk from the circle during a time out to her position behind the plate? Your 33 seconds is either a completely fabricated number, or there were other circumstances, or the coach who you rave about is COMPLETELY CLUELESS.  

I'm actually inclined to believe that there is some sort of bias toward this particular player from a desire to promote a pitcher and/or another player, I don't know, perhaps the first baseman or another player on the bench to whom you have an interest. I've had outstanding 3B on my team who were being recruited by college teams as a 3B moved to 1B in high school or solid 2B also being recruited by colleges as a middle infielder moved to LF on their high school teams, and I have thought that those decisions were crazy and perhaps even stupid. But to mercilessly bash the player who took their place on a public forum... or any place else... never crossed my mind. 

I don't know this young lady who is getting bashed on this board. Perhaps she really is a horrible player and should never see the field. If so, that is on the coach... but that coach shouldn't be the next incarnation of Pat Murphy, Tim Walton, or Patti Gasso to the same people ripping the player. I've never seen collegiate players who are getting significant amounts of scholarship money being ripped like this on college forums.

I fail to see any legitimate reason for an adult to rip an adolescent publicly like this. Either the coach is clueless (and can't teach, train, control his team, or make capable, responsible decisions on lineups and playing time), which has been countered repetitively by the adult poster, or there is an agenda... a very ugly agenda which is offensive and out of bounds. I can only imagine what the player and her parents are thinking when they read this crap. 

If someone needs to feel important or special by ripping other people for their inadequacies (most likely in areas/skills in which they could never perform themselves), at least limit it to criticism of adults who are being paid to perform. Bashing kids publicly is NEVER, EVER acceptable. And the level of bashing in this thread passed minor (or random thought) a long time ago. I can only imagine how outraged I would be if I actually knew this kid... or if she was my child.

I thought writing would allow me to calm down and lessen the agitation. The reverse turned out to be true. The more I write, the more incensed I've become, so it's time to stop writing. This is a kid. A real, living, breathing child who the coach (who has been praised) has seen fit to place in his lineup. It's high school softball, for crying out loud. It's a freaking game. And youth/school athletics is about building confidence, creating memories, and laying a foundation for success in adult life. It's most certainly NOT about blow hard adults tearing down teenagers, even if those teenagers have flaws and make mistakes. 

Well, dore83, you certainly said a mouthful, without any knowledge of what is going on in this district or this team as I was referring to.  

So, I will say, in capitals,

I HAVE BEEN A COLLEGE COACH, I HAVE SEEN THE GAME WHERE KIDS ARE REQUIRED TO BE ACCOUNTABLE AND MOST KIDS OF TODAY ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS ON THE FIELD OR OFF.

And, I live by making a kid ACCOUNTABLE and if you or anybody else does not like that requirement, then I personally do not care. 

I watched a game between Rhea County and White County, watching kids who do not deserve to play this great game.  I say, if they are not accountable for their actions and they keep happening over and over and over again, that kid does not deserve to play on the dirt field.  PERIOD.

As far as my open talking about a kid, believe me, I WOULD SAY THE SAME THING TO THEIR FACE, THEY EITHER DO IT THE RIGHT WAY OR  I WILL FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL.  And, since you were not at the games I have seen you do not see what I have posted.  Leaving home plate unattended was exactly as I said, she left home unattended, and with first and pitcher going for a ball, she left for no reason.  So, I was there you were not, it is as I said, for no reason. 

As for Michael Dodgen, no body said he was the second coming, I said he was the best thing that has happened to White County Softball in the last 4 years and he is.  I have watched them play a few times and the games are the same with the same kids doing the same things over and over and over again, no changes ever over the last four years. 

I have helped kids become better everyday for the last fifty years and I will tell you, if these kids can not take CRITICISM  then they don't deserve the game.  If they are not ACCOUNTABLE, THEY DON'T DESERVE THE GAME.  I  seen high school players LOSE scholarships because they have horrible attitudes, LAZY and unaccountable so not everyone sees your point of view.  But, you know what, not everyone sees my point of view, and that is fine. But, I will tell you this, KIDS HAVE TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE and I am so sorry you feel like you need to come here and tell me I don't have the right to talk about someone -I do not care how old they are, they still have to work to deserve this great game, but to accept they don't need to hustle, they don't need to play hard, they don't need to be accountable, well that is not me.

Dodgen is bringing that ACCOUNTABILITY BACK TO WHITE COUNTY, HE IS THE BEST THING FOR WHITE COUNTY - He is working to brush off the old coaches UNACCOUNTABILITY for past seasons.  So, to your comment about me having issues with the kid in my post, not in any way, I HAVE ISSUES WITH KIDS WHO ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE AND HAVE HORRIBLE ATTITUDES and my thoughts to you, teach the kids they are not ENTITLED, they do not DESERVE EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD, teach them they have to work hard, from the ground up, teach them to be respectable, and, as the GREAT PAT SUMMITT WOULD SAY, "SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP"  and believe me they would be better off in life and in athletics.

I understand you are mad, that is fine, I am not mad, I am calm because I know what i witnessed and I know I can not stand how ENTITLEMENT has be given to these kids and I will continued to let these kids know, they are ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR EVERY ACTION IN LIFE AND ON THE FIELD.

I OWE YOU NO EXPLANATION for my words, but I won't hide in the car with my wife SAYING the same things I have written here, because that would be doing the same thing - talking about a kid not being accountable. 

Edited by howdydoall

Alright all, Warren County beat Cookeville tonight 20 to 3! Yes that's right, 20 to 3! No errors, 3 different girls hit homers, team played an excellent all around game. Wrapped up season title with the win at 9-0, only have a make up game with Rhea Co. next week to go for a perfect district record.

I may be incorrect on the Cumberland catcher, but the games I have seen her play, she has done amazing, but have not seen her play every game, only half of their games.

And, I completely agee on the first baseman being an ALL DISTRICT player, she certainly fits the bill on that. She is a VERY GOOD player who deserved that honor!!!!!

I also have seen Cookevilles catcher and she is one of the best as well in the district, based on watching her team play DeKalb, Warren, and Cumberland.

Now, I drove almost two hours yesterday to watch Rhea play White, not sure why I put myself into the position to be completely disgusted, but I love to watch kids from the travel ball team my kid plays on.

I love to watch Rhea County Leah Price coach - She is one of the BEST at having her kids prepared for their games. She got off to a slow start, and they are lacking in a power pitcher, but her players know how to run bases, know how to play fundamental softball in the infield and outfield.

Rhea County, of course, beat White Co in a double header and one of the reasons for the losses were, White County had a couple of kids who DO NOT LISTEN to their HEAD COACH while running the bases. And, now, mind you White County Head Coach is Michael Dodgen and he is smart, quick thinking, will fight for his kids, as shown with a HORRIFIC CALL by the field umpire who was pathetic, by the way.

I am totally DISGUSTED seeing one of our kids for White County pitch her heart out and lose the games to STUPID ERRORS or players who can not move two steps to get to a ball. I am totally disgusted seeing this kid be subjected to only throwing FASTBALL after FASTBALL after FASTBALL - the kid has four moving pitches for goodness sake and who ever it is calling her pitches is as stupid as they come. He needs to see her play in a tournament where she throws drops, curves, rises and change ups because she is a great pitcher brought down by total ignorance of the game. Yes, I call it like I see it and my opinion is: if you don't know the game, DON'T COACH and DON'T TRY TO CALL PITCHES, because every coach I talked to is laughing, knowing they will be inside or outside fastballs and they are licking their chops. ANYBODY CAN HIT A FASTBALL!!!!!! Believe me this man does not know the game.

Oh, he did call five or six change ups, but fastball inside and fastball outside.

I know, I read his pitches all night, sitting across from him and by the second inning of the first game, I was calling what he was going to call for the rest of the game, missing only on five pitches through out the night.

White County is FAR BETTER with Michael Dodgen, SO MUCH BETTER ON DEFENSE, Better Hitting the Ball, Better Hustle, Better ATTITUDE, BETTER OVERALL than they have been in the last four years. But still they have three players with HORRIBLE ATTITUDES who would not ever play on our teams. The CATCHER, just like you said, "WHEW" does not deserve to play that position - she dropped 11 pitches last night, she left home open with no one to cover, for no reason, can not FRAME A PITCH and I checked her laziness - it took her 33 seconds to walk from the pitchers circle to finally getting in her position at catcher before getting the pitches to get to the pitcher. YES, 33 seconds. SHE WALKED THAT SLOW TO HER POSITION. She can hit but a catcher, she isn't. I have watched their first baseman catch and she is by far the BEST CATCHER on the TEAM and possibly in the DISTRICT, but she doesn't even get to catch. GO FIGURE!

It's tournament time with the exception of a few make games. I still think everyone needs to be on ther best game cuz anybody can win on any givin day. I wish all 6 teams best of luck. It's gonna be a great tournament can't wait to see all the games in Warren county this year.

Yes I got to see the Warren County game as well against Cookeville and they did play like they were on a mission. I saw them earlier in the year and they looked like a different team. I loved the effort and approach Warren County had on every play, they attacked the ball at the plate and defensively they were making plays, loved watching them. They played with intensity and at the same time they were having fun. Hats off to the Warren County coaching staff, they had those kids ready to play.

And, I completely agee on the first baseman being an ALL DISTRICT player, she certainly fits the bill on that. She is a VERY GOOD player who deserved that honor!!!!!

I love to watch Rhea County Leah Price coach - She is one of the BEST at having her kids prepared for their games. She got off to a slow start, and they are lacking in a power pitcher, but her players know how to run bases, know how to play fundamental softball in the infield and outfield.

Rhea County, of course, beat White Co in a double header and one of the reasons for the losses were, White County had a couple of kids who DO NOT LISTEN to their HEAD COACH while running the bases. And, now, mind you White County Head Coach is Michael Dodgen and he is smart, quick thinking, will fight for his kids, as shown with a HORRIFIC CALL by the field umpire who was pathetic, by the way.

I am totally DISGUSTED seeing one of our kids for White County pitch her heart out and lose the games to STUPID ERRORS or players who can not move two steps to get to a ball. I am totally disgusted seeing this kid be subjected to only throwing FASTBALL after FASTBALL after FASTBALL - the kid has four moving pitches for goodness sake and who ever it is calling her pitches is as stupid as they come. He needs to see her play in a tournament where she throws drops, curves, rises and change ups because she is a great pitcher brought down by total ignorance of the game. Yes, I call it like I see it and my opinion is: if you don't know the game, DON'T COACH and DON'T TRY TO CALL PITCHES, because every coach I talked to is laughing, knowing they will be inside or outside fastballs and they are licking their chops. ANYBODY CAN HIT A FASTBALL!!!!!! Believe me this man does not know the game.

White County is FAR BETTER with Michael Dodgen, SO MUCH BETTER ON DEFENSE, Better Hitting the Ball, Better Hustle, Better ATTITUDE, BETTER OVERALL than they have been in the last four years. But still they have three players with HORRIBLE ATTITUDES who would not ever play on our teams. The CATCHER, just like you said, "WHEW" does not deserve to play that position - she dropped 11 pitches last night, she left home open with no one to cover, for no reason, can not FRAME A PITCH and I checked her laziness - it took her 33 seconds to walk from the pitchers circle to finally getting in her position at catcher before getting the pitches to get to the pitcher. YES, 33 seconds. SHE WALKED THAT SLOW TO HER POSITION. She can hit but a catcher, she isn't. I have watched their first baseman catch and she is by far the BEST CATCHER on the TEAM and possibly in the DISTRICT, but she doesn't even get to catch. GO FIGURE!

I got to watch some of Cumberland County VS Rhea County tonight. I was right, unfortunately, about the catcher. She tried to throw a girl out at second and the ball ended up in Centerfield and not because 2nd or shortstop didn't catch it. Terrible throw. Cumberland County won but they are going to have step up their hitting if they are going to have a chance in the tournament. Should be fun to watch.