2016-2017 Class AA State Finals

ballinup90

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The few WV games I saw looked to me like the rotations was fine, just depends on the productivity of who gets on the floor, offensively and defensively

Agree. Three of the spots are pretty set with Jones, Graves, and Pritchett (unless one gets in foul trouble). The other two spots depend on who is producing the most offensively and defensively that night. Johnson, Cantrell, Gadlen, Moore, and Tucker are all rotated through those other two spots. Here lately, Gadlen has been the X factor coming off the bench. She is quick as lightning, does a pretty good job handling the ball, and has been attacking the basket and finishing as of lately. Johnson adds another big on the inside to finish at the basket or throw the high/low pass. Then, Cantrell, Moore, and Tucker are all pretty solid defensively and call knock down the three.

Don't sleep on MC. There a young group, but are very talented. They play 4 very talented freshmen. Plus, they did just pull a big win over McMinn. Keeley Carter is the girl to watch (24) which she is a freshman. Don't be surprised if they pull an upset Thursday.

Don't sleep on MC. There a young group, but are very talented. They play 4 very talented freshmen. Plus, they did just pull a big win over McMinn. Keeley Carter is the girl to watch (24) which she is a freshman. Don't be surprised if they pull an upset Thursday.

Nice to see you MC... from the football field to the basketball court lol. It's should be a good game. To the day I think the hardest team we played so far was East and where 2-2 against them. Y'all have a young team and we have a upper class team with a few seniors. Edited by FBfan26

I think Westview has a chance to make it to the championship as well, but I'm curious on the rotation issues you mentioned? What rotation issues do you claim Westview has? They don't play a whole bunch of kids as it is...

I believe WV has the team to make it to the finals as well and hope they do, but I believe playing both bigs like they did in the games at S. Gibson (that I got to watch) hurt them especially against faster/quicker teams. If their biggest girl gets in foul trouble, they're not the same team. I've yet to see a shot from the free throw line from either. Nothing against the other inside girl, but a whole lot different type of player. I didn't see a lot of production with the high/low setup, but I haven't seen it but 2 or 3 games so I don't know how it's worked in the other games. It may have worked great against Haywood County..don't know that one.  I don't know all of their girls, but I know several from years of being against them in AAU and by watching them at camps. I'm making my review on what I've seen for years and that's not a knock on any player.  What makes WV dangerous is their ability to bury the 3 pointer. It was absent for the most part in the later games I watched.  At S. Gibson, there are stretches where everything is put on Jones and she is a remarkable player...but speed usually matches speed and against SS keep away didn't work...she looked worn out late in those games. Should be a heck of a AA tourney. On another note, I just had a near heart attack at Humboldt tonight, but they won in OT. I don't know how many more games like that I can take. Help me out West Tennessee teams.....finish them. 

I believe WV has the team to make it to the finals as well and hope they do, but I believe playing both bigs like they did in the games at S. Gibson (that I got to watch) hurt them especially against faster/quicker teams. If their biggest girl gets in foul trouble, they're not the same team. I've yet to see a shot from the free throw line from either. Nothing against the other inside girl, but a whole lot different type of player. I didn't see a lot of production with the high/low setup, but I haven't seen it but 2 or 3 games so I don't know how it's worked in the other games. It may have worked great against Haywood County..don't know that one.  I don't know all of their girls, but I know several from years of being against them in AAU and by watching them at camps. I'm making my review on what I've seen for years and that's not a knock on any player.  What makes WV dangerous is their ability to bury the 3 pointer. It was absent for the most part in the later games I watched.  At S. Gibson, there are stretches where everything is put on Jones and she is a remarkable player...but speed usually matches speed and against SS keep away didn't work...she looked worn out late in those games. Should be a heck of a AA tourney. On another note, I just had a near heart attack at Humboldt tonight, but they won in OT. I don't know how many more games like that I can take. Help me out West Tennessee teams.....finish them. 

Good news is Middleton and Humboldt will be in the same district starting next year!  Would be neat to see a rematch of the WV v SS in the championship but both have tall tasks to get there.  Especially SS with Upperman in the quarters. Wish I could make it up there to see that matchup.  It may be one of the best in the tourney!

Edited by burnalittle

I believe WV has the team to make it to the finals as well and hope they do, but I believe playing both bigs like they did in the games at S. Gibson (that I got to watch) hurt them especially against faster/quicker teams. If their biggest girl gets in foul trouble, they're not the same team. I've yet to see a shot from the free throw line from either. Nothing against the other inside girl, but a whole lot different type of player. I didn't see a lot of production with the high/low setup, but I haven't seen it but 2 or 3 games so I don't know how it's worked in the other games. It may have worked great against Haywood County..don't know that one. I don't know all of their girls, but I know several from years of being against them in AAU and by watching them at camps. I'm making my review on what I've seen for years and that's not a knock on any player. What makes WV dangerous is their ability to bury the 3 pointer. It was absent for the most part in the later games I watched. At S. Gibson, there are stretches where everything is put on Jones and she is a remarkable player...but speed usually matches speed and against SS keep away didn't work...she looked worn out late in those games. Should be a heck of a AA tourney. On another note, I just had a near heart attack at Humboldt tonight, but they won in OT. I don't know how many more games like that I can take. Help me out West Tennessee teams.....finish them.

Raegan and Deja can both shoot mid-range shots, but if you play the percentages, Deja and Raegan both have a better chance of scoring down low. Playing both bigs makes Westview a half-court team, and Westviews guards this year are more suited for a half-court game.