Why login?

• It's free
  • Participate in the discussions
  • Contribute schedules, rosters and scores
  • Hide the advertising on the message boards by becoming a Plus member
  • Welcome to CoachT.com!

You can't become a part of our great high school sports community without logging in!

Regular visitors will tell you: they love keeping up with teams outside their own area. That only happens when we share information here on CoachT.com!

Don't have an account? It only takes a second to create one, and it's even easier with a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Photo

2017 MR. BASKETBALL WINNERS

• Please log in to reply
    15 replies to this topic

#1 kwc

kwc

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 6,489 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

2017 MR. BASKETBALL WINNERS

Division II-A Mr. Basketball
    Chase Hayden, St. George’s

Division II-AA Mr. Basketball
    Darius Garland, Brentwood Academy

Class A Mr. Basketball
    Tyreke Key, Clay County

Class AA Mr. Basketball
    Bo Hodges, Maplewood

Class AAA Mr. Basketball
    Alex Lomax, Memphis East

2017 Mr. and Miss Basketball Winners

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats to all of the young men listed above. These are prestigious awards. I want to give a special shout out to the two young men highlighted above who are from the Memphis area. You have done well.

I'd also like to put emphasis on one Mr. Alex Lomax, who has won his second Mr. Basketball award as a junior. Back to back. This is very rare ... especially to win it in two consecutive years in a row, while doing it in the largest classification the state has to offer, in only his junior season. Big kudos!

Edited by kwc, 3 weeks ago.

kwc
    2016 Class 6A State Champions, 2015 Class 6A Semi-finalist, 2014 Class 6A Semi-finalist2013 Class 6A Quarter-finalist, 2012 Class 6A State Champions, 2011 Class 6A State Runner-up, 2010 Class 6A Semi-finalist, 2009 Class 6A Quarterfinalist

#2 UCSportsFan

UCSportsFan

Most Valuable Player

• CoachT+
    • 5,771 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Brandon Wright won it 4 years in a row if i'm not mistaken at Brentwood Academy.  If you use that as an indicator of talent then Lomax should play on the "BIG" stage in the not so distant future. Where is he being recruited from?  I'm guessing all the usual suspects.... Kentucky, UT, Duke, Kansas?

Everyone looks good in "WARM-UPS"

#3 TonyG

TonyG

Competitor

• Members
    • 441 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Brandon Wright won it 4 years in a row if i'm not mistaken at Brentwood Academy.  If you use that as an indicator of talent then Lomax should play on the "BIG" stage in the not so distant future. Where is he being recruited from?  I'm guessing all the usual suspects.... Kentucky, UT, Duke, Kansas?

His suitors hasn't reached that level of elitism yet. Garland is the one with those offers. I honestly don't know if i see Lomax getting those type of offers. Garland is the best recruit in the state. 

#4 Swipes

Swipes

Medalist

• Members
    • 1,513 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I mean Lomax is a 4 star and rated as the 29 of in the nation for his class. He holds offer from Memphis, Florida, Cal, LSU, Ole Miss so not to shabby as a junior

#5 TonyG

TonyG

Competitor

• Members
    • 441 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

I mean Lomax is a 4 star and rated as the 29 of in the nation for his class. He holds offer from Memphis, Florida, Cal, LSU, Ole Miss so not to shabby as a junior

I dont know where you are looking but he's not rated in the top 100 on any recommended site as of now. I think he'll break it after the summer but idk if he'll ever be top tier good, which honestly means nothing bc you can excel anywhere and be a great player. But the PGs who are in the top tier have the size and are extremely more athletic than Lomax, except for Garland which speaks volume of how special you have to be as a player to be #1 in your position and class which 6'3-4 freaky athletic PGs right behind you. 

Correction: 247 has him as the #29 PG and #137 overall in 2018. It'll change he'll rise for sure bc Tyler Harris is rated #14 and #65 respectively and i think you rather have Lomax over Harris. 

Edited by TonyG, 2 weeks ago.

#6 TonyG

TonyG

Competitor

• Members
    • 441 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

I know alot of guys outside of Memphis aren't on the Mark Freeman bandwagon yet, but if the all memphis championship happens I think alot will see how good he is. He can manage a team as well as Alo and can shoot it similar to Harris. He's another 2018 PG in Memphis will high major offers. I say it over and over again its so many guys that aren't talked about as much due to so much talent in the area. If you take a Freeman or a Taelyr Gatlin to the East side of the state, he would be the talk of the area. 

#7 Shozen

Shozen

Competitor

• Members
    • 489 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

This is also Garland's second straight win as well right? All listed and who won are all very deserving!

#8 TonyG

TonyG

Competitor

• Members
    • 441 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

This is also Garland's second straight win as well right? All listed and who won are all very deserving!

All are great, deserving kids. 

#9 warmachine7954

warmachine7954

Contender

• Members
    • 873 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

I know alot of guys outside of Memphis aren't on the Mark Freeman bandwagon yet, but if the all memphis championship happens I think alot will see how good he is. He can manage a team as well as Alo and can shoot it similar to Harris. He's another 2018 PG in Memphis will high major offers. I say it over and over again its so many guys that aren't talked about as much due to so much talent in the area. If you take a Freeman or a Taelyr Gatlin to the East side of the state, he would be the talk of the area.

#10 warmachine7954

warmachine7954

Contender

• Members
    • 873 posts

Posted 2 weeks ago

Mark Freeman is good, very good.Freeman gets overshadowed because of the players in his class. His size will prevent him from playing at a high major school but he is good.

Gatlin is good, very good. No one hears about him because he plays at, well... Brighton. He's a big, physical, guard with skill. Someone is going to get a steal with him.

Spirit Style Chooser: