What needs to happen? TSSAA

Gerry Bertier

East High to appeal TSSAA decision, seeks permission to play in tournament

John Varlas , USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 8:48 p.m. CT March 13, 2017 | Updated 7 minutes ago

East officials will speak at the TSSAA's board of control meeting Tuesday in Murfreesboro in an effort to get the state's governing body for high school sports to change a rule and allow the Mustangs permission to play in a national tournament.

The event in question is the Dick's Sporting Goods High School Nationals, which takes place at the end of the month in New York. East, which is currently ranked third in the nation according to USA Today, has been invited to take part, provided the Mustangs win the AAA state tournament which begins Wednesday in Murfreesboro.

TSSAA bylaws currently prevent member schools from taking part in games following the conclusion of the season. If overturned, the rule would also benefit Murfreesboro Riverdale's girls team, which is first in the USA Today rankings and won the AAA title last Saturday with a 66-59 win over Central.

In 2015, Wheeler High from Marietta successfully challenged a similar rule in Georgia and was allowed to play in the event.

petition on change.org started by Dallas Moore had garnered 1,080 signatures as of Monday and the East senior told The Commercial Appeal that she's got her fingers crossed about Tuesday's appeal.

"I've been praying and praying," she said. "The boys have worked so hard to get to this point and I feel like they deserve to go. The rule is holding kids back ... . This rule was created before the Dick's tournament began (in 2014) and other states with similar rules have made changes.

"I think any kid that plays sports would love to be involved in a tournament like this. It's great for them and for the state of Tennessee."

The Dick's tournament takes place March 30-April 1 and will be televised on the ESPN family of networks. East enters the state tournament with a 33-3 record, including a pair of victories over national powerhouse Montverde (Fla.) Academy.

Edited by kwc

There is a new AllStar game in Knoxville this year April 7 - to avoid any eligibility issues the All Star organization had to pay $1,000 to TSSAA to certify the event so participants are not ineligible for Spring sports. Think about that ....A kid that plays in a basketball all star game post season is not eligible to play in the baseball regular season unless the All Star game is certified.....which basically means a payoff to TSSAA cause nothing gets approved unless $$$$ exchanges hands

Maybe they should allow the teams to certify themselves to play national events .....that should take like $2,500

That speaks volumes about the association. How does a $1,000.00 payoff change the objectives of the policy? Money makes it right somehow? How was it "wrong" before? TSSAA should have the kids/sport/state best interests in the forefront, so there should be no discussion about this issue...I can't find a negative. I also have no idea why anyone who participates should have to forgo playing in another sport.

Sorry, where does it stop at.   One team goes to this tournament the second place team goes to something else.   It is like AAU, YBOA, and how many other type of youth organizations.   You move down the competition level and you can find additional tournaments for everyone.   If your team is willing to play the money they can play some more.  

I firmly believe East will win the State Championship, but They will get their chance to play these other groups in AAU.

This will not be a popular post.  LOL

I think Memphis East better worry about winning the State Championship first. That is the most important thing.

I agree. However, with things like this you have to strike while the iron is hot. Besides, I don't think it is the coaches and the the players who are leading the charge in this. This is more of an administration type of thing, along with the student body pushing the issue with the petition. I think the team and the coaching staff are focused on the tournament at hand. They can't afford distractions at this stage.

Edited by kwc

I haven't read the whole thread but is the tsp reasoning to protect spring sports from missing athletes? If so,I know there are football all star games months into basketball season.  Either way it would be great for the state and the kids.  Sad rule

Sorry, where does it stop at.   One team goes to this tournament the second place team goes to something else.   It is like AAU, YBOA, and how many other type of youth organizations.   You move down the competition level and you can find additional tournaments for everyone.   If your team is willing to play the money they can play some more.  

I firmly believe East will win the State Championship, but They will get their chance to play these other groups in AAU.

This will not be a popular post.  LOL

That's the point...why shouldn't they all be allowed to participate? I'm not for summer long chains of tournaments, but pick one within a reasonable time period after season and play. I'm also not for paying TSSAA "ransom" to obtain permission...if they have an objective behind the policy (they should have), mere money shouldn't change that at all.

You're wrong about East "getting their chance" in AAU...this team (and Riverdale) is highly regarded nationwide, and they want to see where they stand with other elite programs...can't be done through AAU, as there are restrictions regarding the number of teammates allowed to play together, and the coach can't participate. No good reason to block these kids from such an opportunity just because the TSSAA can't find a way to profit from it.

restrictions by who?  The TSSAA if that was true Penny wouldn't be on bench.   Most play together on AAU.   It is not a matter of money it is a matter of that is what AAU is for.  

Why should the TSSAA or any member school care what AAU is for? The restrictions are per TSSAA and regard the number of teammates allowed on the same team, and the involvement of coaches. Look it up.