Time to disband TSSAA....where does the money go?(your thoughts?)

nebuntyn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no reason the privates should still be in the TSSAA. The TSSAA is essentially run by the public schools (yes, I know privates have people on the board also) who don't care about the private schools. When the split initially occurred way back, I thought the next step would be privates separating into their own association. With the most recent developments, why is there even a D1 and D2? They are already separate entities, now just get your own association and board members. I do believe that is inevitable in the next 5-10 years. Is a governing body needed? Absolutely. As noonesfool just pointed out, one of the main reasons is for catastrophic insurance.

Trader:

That particular TSSAA rule has snagged others as well. I remember reading about a girls BB team who had a winning season and were about to prepare for post season play when they found out that they had to forfeit basically the whole season, if my memory serves me correctly. In this situation the young lady's parents divorced and she moved with her mom to another address in another town I believe. Since the old address was still active the TSSAA ruled. 

I side with the TSSAA in both situations. they HAVE to enforce that rule, even though folks who didn't realize the extent of the rule are some time victims. It is NECESSARY. 

What should the schools have done? Not play the students. If the parents and the administration of the schools didn't realize the implications of the rule then they have to get a better understanding, or you learn just like they did. I think the TSSAA does spread the word, however, when doing something like this, it is always best to contact the TSSAA to see if your interpretation matches their intent.. Sometimes students just can't play for whatever reason. You may think it's dumb ... but it is necessary. Its one of the functions of the TSSAA that nobody likes ... not even the employees of the TSSAA. They don't like having to tell the school, the parent(s), and the student athlete the bad news. However ... it has to be done and the rule is necessary. I know it stinks when the folk who are impacted thought they were doing everything by the book. That's life. You live, you learn.

The school had no way of knowing that the former address still belonged to the parents, and the transfer was ruled legitimate by TSSAA. I understand the "where do you draw the line" stance...anytime that you involve human interpretation into rules, you have variances. I also understand that the kids, parents, nor school did anything wrong, yet were severely punished. Maybe there should be a "standardized" form to submit for application of eligibility when transferring, just so nothing is overlooked and is taken care of on the front end. An issue with the potential to cause the TSSAA as much harm as this one has caused some well meaning member schools and families would be resolved in short order.

The school had no way of knowing that the former address still belonged to the parents, and the transfer was ruled legitimate by TSSAA. I understand the "where do you draw the line" stance...anytime that you involve human interpretation into rules, you have variances. I also understand that the kids, parents, nor school did anything wrong, yet were severely punished. Maybe there should be a "standardized" form to submit for application of eligibility when transferring, just so nothing is overlooked and is taken care of on the front end. An issue with the potential to cause the TSSAA as much harm as this one has caused some well meaning member schools and families would be resolved in short order.

Agreed. I know in this instance and in the other one I referenced everyone knew of the rule and thought that they were in compliance. Its a shame that in those cases they found out that they weren't in compliance at the season's end. That is the unfortunate part.