D Rang leaving Dresden for Gatlinburg Pittman!

utvol2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a surprise but thought he might stay one more year. The disappointing thing is I heard he will be leaving on Monday. This tells me a lot about him. Dresden gave him an opportunity when no one else would and he just says seeyou later and doesn't even finish the school year.

Come on man...state titles aren't easy to come by, and Rang brought one to Dresden. Gatlinburg Pittman's football season starts now as far as he's concerned, so the head coach needs to be there. It would have been great if he'd stayed until he retired, but the program is in better shape now than when he came in, so just be grateful that you had him there.

This is not a surprise but thought he might stay one more year. The disappointing thing is I heard he will be leaving on Monday. This tells me a lot about him. Dresden gave him an opportunity when no one else would and he just says seeyou later and doesn't even finish the school year.

Coaches who take other jobs by and large would love to go ahead and start their new jobs, but in most cases the teaching jobs they are taking aren't open until the following school year, so they have no choice but to stay.  It's not an issue for many because they are close enough to their new school to be able to teach during the day at the old school and then get to the new school for after school workouts and spring practice.  In this case, there is a teaching job available now, so why not go ahead and transition?  Plus with it being over 300 miles away, distance is a factor in terms of getting ready for spring practice.  

What would you expect Derek to do if he stayed for the remainder of the school year?  He resigned as the football coach, which means that he would be a teacher and nothing more for the remainder of the year.

Your position is pretty silly.  A large, large majority of those in that position would go ahead and move on if a teaching position were available.  Derek is a solid teacher and coach, and his character is outstanding.  He's not doing anything wrong.   

Lionsupport must be a kid that doesn't understand the profession. Dresden did give him an opportunity and Dresden in return got a state championship. I'd say that's fair. As far as the part saying no one else would give him a chance, someone would have. Don't act like Dresden was his one and only hope. Finally if he is leaving then it is best for all involved for him to leave asap. This only makes sense.

Lionsupport must be a kid that doesn't understand the profession. Dresden did give him an opportunity and Dresden in return got a state championship. I'd say that's fair. As far as the part saying no one else would give him a chance, someone would have. Don't act like Dresden was his one and only hope. Finally if he is leaving then it is best for all involved for him to leave asap. This only makes sense.

Not a kid for sure.  I understand the profession very well.  He is not a college coach who doesn't teach classes.  He is a high school coach who is a teacher first.  He will be leaving the administration searching for someone to teach his classes the rest of the year.  Most schools don't have back up teachers on hand and he did sign a year contract not an eight month contract.  I don't have a problem with him leaving to go coach somewhere else.  I believe most people in Dresden knew he wasn't going to stay after this year. Yes I know we won a state championship but he was loaded with talent whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Let's be honest this time of year most teaching new material is finished or almost finished. Now is the time to go back and review if it's a core subject. No idea what his responsibility was but I'm sure an interim can be found or the new coach can take over. Also most teachers sign one contract when they are first hired. After that first year contracts are just renewed.