TSSAA All-State selections

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, RealisticFan45 said:

IMO, Union got no better signing her. They are not NAIA anymore, Gulf South is competitive. They need athletes not just a big post and shooters. 

I disagree. Graves didn't start playing alot until 6/7 grade and has gotten better each season, making All-State this past year. There's a big upside to Deja with the right coaches pushing her and Coach Campbell  recognizes this. Can't teach size, someone 6'3, 235 lbs leaning & pushing on you for 4 quarters tends to wear people down ! A good pick up for Union.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:45 AM, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

I disagree. Graves didn't start playing alot until 6/7 grade and has gotten better each season, making All-State this past year. There's a big upside to Deja with the right coaches pushing her and Coach Campbell  recognizes this. Can't teach size, someone 6'3, 235 lbs leaning & pushing on you for 4 quarters tends to wear people down ! A good pick up for Union.

Agree! However, she will struggle against teams that are guard oriented and like to run and gun.

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 0:28 PM, BullShark said:

Agree! However, she will struggle against teams that are guard oriented and like to run and gun.

Thanks, glad to see you know basketball ! Union will work on her conditioning and alot of guard oriented teams will struggle against Deja's size & strength on their defensive end of the floor.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:21 PM, cradle2thegravelakersfan said:

Thanks, glad to see you know basketball ! Union will work on her conditioning and alot of guard oriented teams will struggle against Deja's size & strength on their defensive end of the floor.

Thanks!  Glad you know basketball too.  

I agree with you cant teach size. But, this is college not high school anymore. She can't defend. She is slow, can't move laterally. Campbell will have to change his game plan for her to be effective. Union does nothing but shoot 3s. If he doesn't go through her i don't see her helping them. By tje time she gets down the floor shots will be up and ball will be running right by her heading the other way. Gulf South is different from NAIA. They learned that the hard way, especially this past season. Need more than shooters and a developing big. Gotta have athletes that can defend and and create on the other end. Just my opinion though

RealisticFan45, let's just agree to disagree on this one......lol. Maybe you haven't noticed but Westview shoots alot of 3s, like Union. She won't set the world on fire as a freshman but she has time to develop. I think it's safe to say that Coach Campbell knows a little more about basketball than you and he thought enough of Deja's game to offer a scholarship. 

Graves actually had a bigger offer than Union, and would've had more offers headed her way had she waited it out. Union got a good player in Graves.

To say she can't defend, is a major overstatement.... she dominates high school games defensively, and she held her own in travel ball this summer defending against high level post players.

How many other 6'3's do you see running around this area who are coordinated and can do the things she does? It's the same way nationally... bigs are hard to come by. Everything isn't geared solely to offense and scoring... rebounds and defending are just as important.

Edited by GCPioneer