Harriman gets Snubbed

Swipes

D1 does matter!!!!! You guys are getting bent out of shape. I was just pointing out why some kids got what you called "snubbed" on the all state team. Committees are going to vote for a kid that has a D1 scholarship over another kid 10 out of 10 times ESPECIALLY in class A. Unfortunately for some of the kids that you guys think got "snubbed", there happens to be a good # of class A kids on the all state team going to play division 1. And yes in real life the ball does stop bouncing and you need to be prepared and all of that rah rah stuff. But in real life it also matters at times "WHO" you are. And the "WHO'S are going to make the all state team first. Facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the snub from Region 2 wasn't the Harriman kids.. where in the world was Connor Arnold from GCA? I looked twice...did my eyes fail me? Hands down, he was the top player in the region. Certainly the Harriman kids were good, as were Mckinney and Moore and a couple others... But Arnold was the top kid I saw in region 2. Headscratcher.

Who is Connor Arnold?? What are the names of the Harriman kids?? I guarantee you if they were going to play division 1 college ball, people outside of there region would know who they are and would care whether or not they made the all state team. It's not a headscratcher at all.

Edited by oldschoolballa

Again the other 2 from that region, who are good ball players, are D1????!!! Your own logic is busted and makes no sense. Also, Arnold has D2 offers and some D1s who have been watching him all year that just haven't pulled the trigger yet. McClain had interest from LMU (who would beat A LOT of D1s, especially in this state) & other higher level schools. Again, your logic does not match the reality of this list.

Edited by BballLover865

Whats funny is you say D1 is what matters. I guess some of these schools in the SWAC (D1) Conference whose facilities or deplorable, kids go into debt to play D1, lose on a consistent basis & the school struggles to keep it's doors open is the much better option than a D2 or NAIA school where they can leave with no debt, win games (even possibly beat soke D1s like these mentioned), play in nicer facilities & not worry about the school status everyday. I can go on all day with "smaller colleges" which are much better ON & off the floor than lower level D1s. But again, D1 is all that matters.

Who is Connor Arnold?? What are the names of the Harriman kids?? I guarantee you if they were going to play division 1 college ball, people outside of there region would know who they are and would care whether or not they made the all state team. It's not a headscratcher at all.

I think you missed my point or maybe I wasn't clear. There were three players from region 2 on the list... All good players...but he was the best player in the region. Likely none of those 3 are D1. ..that wasn't my point. My point was that the best player in the region wasn't on the list when 3 others were. And no, I'm not from GCA. I don't know the kid, but I have seen all play....he was the best player in the region.

I think you missed my point or maybe I wasn't clear. There were three players from region 2 on the list... All good players...but he was the best player in the region. Likely none of those 3 are D1. ..that wasn't my point. My point was that the best player in the region wasn't on the list when 3 others were. And no, I'm not from GCA. I don't know the kid, but I have seen all play....he was the best player in the region.

I do see your point. I guess it all comes down to who is doing the evaluating. I didn't see any of those kids play, so I'll take your word for it. Seems like everyone sees things differently. I'll give you an example. Where you able to see the Mr. Basketball and runner up Mr. Basketball play?? I got to see both play 3 times. Well Tyreke Key won Mr. Basketball for class A. Was he better than the kid from Union City, Stewart?? Well college coaches who do the evaluating think so. Tyreke Key is going to Indiana State and chose the best fit for him. His choices of schools were between 5-7 mid to low major schools. He scored over 3,000 points I think in high school. Which is a lot. The Stewart kid went to the school that fit him. His choice of schools were between 20-30 high major schools. He scored 2500 points in 2 and a half years. A lot of people thought he would have won Mr. Basketball if he was from Tennessee.

At the state tournament I asked 3 High Major BCS coaches why the Stewart kid had better and higher offers than Key. They all had the same answer. That Stewart is bigger, taller, stronger and a better college prospect. Just goes to show how much I know because I thought the couldn't possibly be a better player in class A than Key!!!

I went to their recruiting profiles and they were telling the truth. Stewart had all High Major and BCS offers. Key had all low and mid.

So not to be long winded but talent is clearly in the eye of the beholder!! I don't have a dog in the fight either way. Sorry to hear if some kids were left off and were deserving. I was offering my opinion early on as to why.

Honestly have no problem with kids beimg left off, especially by writers who probably haven't watched 2 games all year. My issue was the D1 is what matters quote. That's just not true. I may know a thing or 2 about college basketball myself lol 😉 & was sitting with a coaching friend fresh off the NCAA tourney myself watching some kids at state. And I have seen 3/4 of these kids on the list & plenty more. Key was far & away Mr. Basketball. These awards have little to do with college potential vut what they did for their teams and the season they had.

As Arnolds dad I appreciate the support. All I am going to say is connor was all state as a sophomore and junior and his numbers this year were better than those two years. The problem is these are scoring awards and on GCA we had 5 guys average double figures. Good luck next year seeing that happen at GCA without a 6-8 inside outside shooter there to help. Those two sophomores at GCA should be very appreciative. They benefited greatly from having him. In fact go watch the Humbodlt game from state, Ledford had like 6 walk in layups in half court cause Arnold was getting double and trippled at times. Call Hanptons Coach and ask him if he thinks Connor is deserving or oakdales and wartburgs. Heck even Coalfields coach that just left. Connor has the respect of his opponents and that matters the most.

The biggest thing to me is the disappointment that sports writers are just that .....writers....Connor was Andre Whiteheads Region player of the year and that means more to us than some sportwriter in nashville or memphis who never saw him play more than once and probably never even called other coaches and teams to ask about a kid. Andre is committed he travels he watches and he is honest. He cares and if he sees it a certain way, then I respect that because I respecr him.

Being able to vote in that is a privledge and if I was a sports writer I would do some dillegence before I voted. Congrats to the kids that made it. I am sure all are deserving but slim took his team farther and longer than most on the lis, all while sharing the ball as an unselfish kid with some good players on his team. He made them better that cannot be argued.

Life goes on.....I can tell you this, many D1 colleges are full of manipulators and liars. The whole thing is frustrating. No courage, no honor, and sheep herd mentality. Thats why 76% transfer after year 1. The system is a failure to the kids. Some coaches in D1 and D2 have been very supportive and encouraging and truthful, and we appreciate those. A larger majority though have been unprofessional and made the experiance challenging at times.

Connor will go somewhere, not worried about that. Just gotta walk in faith that when he gets there he makes it a better place than before he arrived. That is what matters.

Edited by 12thmanGCA

McClain, Pace, McKinney, Arnold, and Ledford should've been all state. Grace wins state if Arnold was anywhere near as tough as Ledford. He carried the Rams this season at state. Arnold was great last year vs Mitchell but was a no show this year.Who has offered the 6/8 shooter phenom who's triple teamed every game? Just curious?

McClain, Pace, McKinney, Arnold, and Ledford should've been all state. Grace wins state if Arnold was anywhere near as tough as Ledford. He carried the Rams this season at state. Arnold was great last year vs Mitchell but was a no show this year.Who has offered the 6/8 shooter phenom who's triple teamed every game? Just curious?

I didnt call him a phenom I called him an unselfish teammate. How many GCA games have you seen in last four years? I saw over 120.

He couldnt even walk the weekend before state. His ankle was swollen like a grapefruit from injuring it in practice the Friday before stare. He wasnt 100% and if you are a guru then you should know good players and that every player is different .Its a game of peaks and vallleys. Players and teams are suppose to play OFF and WITH each other because of those differences.

As far as toughness, he had needles in his ankle Monday and Tuesday before Humboldt just to be able to go play and I doubt even his teammates knew that. We didnt need more toughness we needed more defense and 3 pointers vs Clay County and it just didnt happen. But we played soft defense all year as a team, So that was are achilles hill.

Ledford is a great player. He will really be something in two more years. And yes he had a great state tournament and seaon. Should be in the running for sophomore of the year in Prep Xtra.

And for the record the only offer Connor has to worry about is the offer to accept God s plan and love in his life and do his best everyday to share that in public. We will keep the others confidential and trust in him. I am proud of his career and proud of him. And proud of the grace team. They have accomplished a lot together. Just couldn't win it all as a team and yea that hurt....life goes on.