A/AA District Tournament Results

reaction

TSSAA rules state that once a game is suspended in the second half, if the game can not be resumed that date, then the game is complete. Take nothing away from Meroll Hyde, but the real loser here is the team that won their district and has to play Central Magnet. Yikes!

The rule is the rule. Just to be clear, I was not arguing that decision was underhanded in any way. Congrats to Meroll Hyde. Perhaps for championships, this rule should be reconsidered. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central Magnet requested to resume the match today or tomorrow, but Merrol Hyde was not interested. TSSAA states that the match counts if a half has been played.  So, they had every right to take the win and move on.  I hate that the match won't be completed, but fair play to Merrol Hyde on playing great at the time it matters most.  I can only hope for good weather and the ability to complete matches for all teams this postseason.  For our sake, I hope it serves as a wakeup call to take nothing for granted.

We'll practice hard and travel down to Chattanooga on Tuesday.  I always enjoy playing Coach Schemerhorn's teams.

Central Magnet requested to resume the match today or tomorrow, but Merrol Hyde was not interested. TSSAA states that the match counts if a half has been played.  So, they had every right to take the win and move on.  I hate that the match won't be completed, but fair play to Merrol Hyde on playing great at the time it matters most.  I can only hope for good weather and the ability to complete matches for all teams this postseason.  For our sake, I hope it serves as a wakeup call to take nothing for granted.

We'll practice hard and travel down to Chattanooga on Tuesday.  I always enjoy playing Coach Schemerhorn's teams.

Well said. Should be an exciting match. Good luck to ya!

TSSAA rules state that once a game is suspended in the second half, if the game can not be resumed that date, then the game is complete. Take nothing away from Meroll Hyde, but the real loser here is the team that won their district and has to play Central Magnet. Yikes!

That is incorrect.  Here is the wording:

"During the postseason, games suspended due to conditions which make it impossible to continue play shall be continued from the point of suspension of play if less than one half of the game has been played.  The same procedure shall be used of more than one half of the game has been played and the score is tied when the play is suspended."

This wording does not address what happens if the game is suspended at half time with one team leading.  In another part of the soccer regulations document it addresses what you described where the referee declares the match complete if half has been played, but that only applies to regular season matches.

Unfortunately, there are several "cracks in the sidewalk" in the TSSAA Bylaws and Constitution as well as the regulations for each sport.  Most of these "cracks" are for obscure or extremely rare situations, but they exist.

If 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 happens, here's what to do...

Here's what you cannot do if 8, 9, or 10 happen... and that's the end.  While it covers almost all situations, there is #7 which is not addressed, which is what happened here.

The regular season rules is the only thing which addresses this situation and that is what appears to have been applied here as it is the closest thing which could apply, but it's still not addressed.  I think most people would consider it poor taste to "not be available or interested" in finishing a district championship because you are leading at halftime.

This kind of situation absolutely MUST be addressed by the state association because right now, there are no rules which exist in this situation to be used as a standard, which means rules and decisions are made up on the fly.

Edited by JFW3

why the reversal....did yall not dominate MH just few weeks back.....

Booger just sayin :huh: