Quarles leaving Maryville?

rebeldozer44

Of course, GQ (I love the irony of those initials!) is going to take over the Atlanta Falcons. Or, make peace in the Middle East. No wait, he has to part the Red Sea, first. The way he's talked about around here you'd think the guy leaps tall buildings in a single bound, just for kicks. Yeah the MHS football program would be "devastated" if he left. Sure.

:)

KP I dont think anyone put Coach Quarles at that status. He just completed his fifth season yesterday and lost only his tenth game during that time yesterday as well. From everyone I have talked to he really likes where he is at. He and his wife like the community and he really likes being at Maryville. It really just depends on any aspirations he may have on coaching in the college ranks. Some people like being a high school coach their entire career. Their job does not hinge on the fate of the head coach at a college who could be fired at any time and you are left without a job. I hope of course he stays. He does not have to part the red sea. He is 63-10 with three state titles in five years. That is good enough for me.

George is actually 63-9 in his head coaching career starting in 1999. Maryville is 107-17 since George Quarles has been at Maryville. George became an assistant in 1995.

1995. 11-1

1996. 5-5

1997. 13-2 State Runner up

1998. 15-0 State Champs

1999. 10-3

2000. 11-4 State Champs

2001. 14-1 State Champs

2002. 15-0 State Champs

2003. 13-1

It is great to be a Maryville Rebel.

• 11 years later...

We usually run atleast one "trick" play per game. Also, I don't think losing GQ will be such a big blow, I think losing the other coaches will be big blows. We lost Hammontree(sp?) and we thought things were going to be bad, infact in 2000 a big part of it was the players adjusting to Quarles being the coach because they didn't like his style. After about 4 games they bought into it and they started to love him. I also think that college won't come calling, I think they would have if he would have won this year, but I think that they might back off a bit and see how he handles things now. I think that if he leaves we will be just fine, as long as he doesn't take everyone else with him!

It depends on what level of college coaching you are talking about. He is qualified to be the HC at a D3 school, probably the OC at a D2 school but on the D1 level he would have to start at the bottom. GQ is a very good coach but not every good high school coach transitions well to the college game. JMO, but he would do very well at Sewanee (NCAA D3)but I am not convinced that he would make a good assistant in the SEC.