Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

We look foward to getting the rivarly back to where it should be Sweet Science. Since it started back up in 09, yall have dominated us mostly due to yall out-coaching us. When yall hired Gaddis back, I literally said "Dear God, we mite not ever beat them with this goon of a coach we have now" (Hassell). But as you pointed out, we have a REAL coach now. Rosser has our kids looking like a Central team should. He has worked them EXTREMELY hard this offseason. We look foward to comming down to Blankenship this year as the Underdog just like in 90. Maybe we can make a little magic happen and get this rivalry back to where it once was and should be. Ill be down there as I am for every Central game, ( And Ill make a trip over to Magic Wok before the game) ^_^ . GO BOBCATS!

Gotta love Magic Wok!! LOL Yeah, I think when Powell started getting some of Central's players it hurt yall and obviously has benefitted Powell with their success as of late. Hopefully yall can keep those players like the Kirkland's, Style's, Bayless' and the like in Bobcat country. Or maybe that wouldn't be a good idea as an OR fan lol

• 2 weeks later...

confucius say....1996 Trousdale team were 12-0 heading into semifinal game with DCA, and we had outscored opponents 649-35, including a 73-0 win against Ezell Harding in the first round and a 84-15 bashing of Knox Catholic in the second round of playoffs...DCA had Mr. Football Jeremy Lyon, along with all-staters Daniel Daughtery, Ryan McSwain, and Brian Patterson and TC had NO answer for Lyon he dominated us from start to finish, i personally felt like it was one of the best teams we ever had and didn't even make it to the dance!!

I agree with confucius. That TC team was one of the biggest, fastest and strongest. However, that game was in the quarterfinals, not semifinals. DCA played BGA in an OT game the next week in the semis. Great TC team though. That DCA team could've hung with most any team in the state that year.

• 3 weeks later...

In response to the forum name, I'd say alot of the Knox Central teams from 1990 to 2006. It seemed like in the early 90's we always ran into Oak Ridge and then in the late 90's up til 06 it was always Maryville. Truth is that had we not had to go through Maryville every year, Central would probably have a couple of state titles by now. But we just couldn't get past them. Wether it was a missed field goal on our part or a Trick Play by Quarles( He loves those trick plays ), we always came up short. Had some great battles though. GO BOBCATS!

To me it is a great accomplishment for Maryville to have never lost to Central when Zach Helton was QB. Almost all of them games were nail biters. Helton was a great player. Central was a great team then. In 2004 and 2005 when Maryville won the playoff game with Central we knew that game was the real semifinal game. Don't know if Central could have beaten Melrose those years but it would have been a great game.

Amazing I started this thread 10 years ago. Other teams I can add to this list now.

2004-05 Melrose teams. All the years I have watched Maryville play football. Those were the best defensive teams I ever seen Maryville go against.

The Zach Helton led Central teams were pretty darn good.

Alcoa's 2012 team was really good. Alcoa won state in 2013 but in my opinion the 2012 was better.

CAK had a great team in 2010. Only team beside Maryville to give Alcoa a good game that year. We all know how loaded Alcoa was that year.

Maryville's 2012 team was a great one. Great offensive team.

Siegel 2012 team was by far the best offensive team I ever seen Maryville play against. If Stockstill was healthy they would probably be your 2012 6A Champs.

Whitehaven 2011 was a great team. Much better defensively than their title team in 2012.

• 4 weeks later...