Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2004 at 2:55 PM, WesVLT said:

21-13...a great game. My first state championship game to attend -- my dad is a Clinton alum. :)

1992 may have been the best collection of games ever played in the finals. Oneida beat Battle Ground Academy in A, Marion County beat Brentwood Academy in AA, and Gallatin over Clinton in AAA. Two huge upsets of public over private in A and AA, and I believe the AAA game was considered an upset by many as well. Great games played in the Clinic Bowl at Vanderbilt.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2004 at 4:54 PM, wardawg2038 said:

One team everyone is leaving off the list is the 1993 Marion County Warriors. They were upset by Kingston in the playoffs that year I believe 7-6. The class that came in as frehman in 1992 went 56-1 during their high school career. This loss in 93 was the only blemish on their record in 4 years of high school 92= 15-0 AA state champs, 93= 11-1 lost to Kigston, 94 = 15-0 AAA state champs and 95= 15-0 AAA state champs. The 93 Warriors were probably the best team in East TN that year b/c McMinn Central made it to the finals and Marion drubbed them during the regular season. Some folks say the 93 team was more talented than the 92 or 94 team just did not get it done at Kingston that Friday night.

Yes. The 1992 team was actually supposed to be a year away, as it consisted of an extremely small number of seniors, and most starters were juniors. Junior class was large, I think up around 20 players, and very talented. That Kingston game was another one of those where the weather was a factor. Cold and muddy. Marion outplayed Kingston in most statistical categories and had a touchdown called back on a controversial call. I think the score was 12-7. Only game the players on the 1995 team ever lost.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:55 PM, howdoitknow said:

Waverly 2016 Class 2A

They didn't win the Class 2A Blue Cross Bowl but they were easily the best Class 2A sized football team in the state. It's too bad that their losses came to Class 3A Fairview (11-1) and "Class 4A" Trezevant.

What about Mitchell? They could easily claim they were the best 2A team other than Trez

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 9:03 PM, softballdad25 said:

Yes. The 1992 team was actually supposed to be a year away, as it consisted of an extremely small number of seniors, and most starters were juniors. Junior class was large, I think up around 20 players, and very talented. That Kingston game was another one of those where the weather was a factor. Cold and muddy. Marion outplayed Kingston in most statistical categories and had a touchdown called back on a controversial call. I think the score was 12-7. Only game the players on the 1995 team ever lost.

I'm pretty sure it was 7-6. A lot of controversial calls in that game. Had the ball at the goal line on 4th down at the end of the game. Coach Colquette elects to go for it and his words were "If you can't score a TD here you don't deserve to win." Kingston holds and takes one snap and qb kneels. Some standing on the goal line say he was in the end zone when he knelt. Either way it propelled MC to 2 more State titles and a revenge game the following year that ended 42-0 I believe.

Edited by PurplePower68

On 6/2/2017 at 10:55 PM, howdoitknow said:

Waverly 2016 Class 2A

They didn't win the Class 2A Blue Cross Bowl but they were easily the best Class 2A sized football team in the state. It's too bad that their losses came to Class 3A Fairview (11-1) and "Class 4A" Trezevant.

Maybe Waverly finally makes it this year. Hopefully MC will be there as well.

On 6/22/2004 at 3:54 PM, wardawg2038 said:

One team everyone is leaving off the list is the 1993 Marion County Warriors. They were upset by Kingston in the playoffs that year I believe 7-6. The class that came in as frehman in 1992 went 56-1 during their high school career. This loss in 93 was the only blemish on their record in 4 years of high school 92= 15-0 AA state champs, 93= 11-1 lost to Kigston, 94 = 15-0 AAA state champs and 95= 15-0 AAA state champs. The 93 Warriors were probably the best team in East TN that year b/c McMinn Central made it to the finals and Marion drubbed them during the regular season. Some folks say the 93 team was more talented than the 92 or 94 team just did not get it done at Kingston that Friday night.

I believe the 94 team was the best to ever play here. If I'm not mistaken the 1st team defense didn't give up a TD until the semis when Knox West scored first to go up 8-0. I think it woke our kids up because it ended 42-8. Those were some good old days.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:47 PM, softballdad25 said:

1992 may have been the best collection of games ever played in the finals. Oneida beat Battle Ground Academy in A, Marion County beat Brentwood Academy in AA, and Gallatin over Clinton in AAA. Two huge upsets of public over private in A and AA, and I believe the AAA game was considered an upset by many as well. Great games played in the Clinic Bowl at Vanderbilt.

I agree Marion  my school shocked the state day so bad Brentwood tucked their tales and  ran