Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2004 at 11:53 PM, cdragonz123 said:

The 92' Clinton team would have still won the Championship any other year than 92. Didn't have any players that went to real big standout colleges but they played as a team, and i bet people that played or watched Clinton play that year STILL remember Scotty Whitt.

Was at that game as well..Looked like the Packers vs the Bears ...lol

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2014 at 6:48 PM, MSURacer said:

I see several mentions of the '92 Clinton team that lost to Gallatin in the Finals, but I have to throw in '92 Henry County as well, the team that lost to Gallatin in the semifinals 16-13. I was only in 8th grade at the time, but that remains one of the best (yet most heartbreaking) games I've ever seen. We were tough as nails that year. I'd put our 1992 team right up there with our 2011 team as being the hardest hitting bunch we've ever had.

I'll also mention our 2008 team. Some still believe that was the best team we've ever had, and they do have a solid case. 2 future SEC players in our backfield to go along with 6 or 7 other college prospects up and down the roster. That team steamrolled its way to the semifinals before falling to eventual state champ Hillsboro 31-24, who would go on to end Maryville's 74 game win streak the following week. 

I think I remember the 1992 Gallatin @ Henry county ..Gallatin intercepted a pass in the end zone to end the game in that 16-13 win for the wave..But I have watched over 400 games  over the years and sometimes they all run together...lol...I do think Henry county had the better team that year just think Gallatin had just a little more luck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 6:54 PM, Mr. Postman1 said:

1995-96 westmoreland eagles. Had both mr. Football winners. Actually beat the state champions of that year goodpasture during regular season. Got beat by the runner up meigs county 21-14. Go ahead score was with 42 seconds on the clock. Many many questionable calls by the refs that led to 170 yards in penalties against the eagles. 1 penalty against meigs if i. Not badly mistaken. 

Yep thats a little lopsided .

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:57 PM, tjera said:

1974 Livingston Academy Wildcats (10-1) lost one game by one point. The team set many school records and beat the likes of Alcoa 47-18, Giles County 6-0, York 47-14 and Harriman 56-20, but because of the playoff system in place at the time they had to settle for a 22-13 win over Greg Gaines and Dupont (9-1)  in the Industrial Bowl.

That 1974 DuPont team was good but far from being a state championship contender.  

On 8/30/2017 at 6:40 PM, EHSTrack06 said:

I agree. Heck I think Elizabethton had we beaten Alcoa last year(2016) would have made a strong case for 3A State. We Played Alcoa heck of a lot closer than their title opponent did.

I coached at Alcoa in 2015 and 2016, we all talked about it...Elizabethton was the defacto title game. We felt that either team would have beaten Liberty in Cookeville. That was one of the more fun games I had there. Great atmosphere and gritty game for sure. You could feel the want to from  both sides. 

On 9/22/2017 at 0:57 AM, tjera said:

1974 Livingston Academy Wildcats (10-1) lost one game by one point. The team set many school records and beat the likes of Alcoa 47-18, Giles County 6-0, York 47-14 and Harriman 56-20, but because of the playoff system in place at the time they had to settle for a 22-13 win over Greg Gaines and Dupont (9-1)  in the Industrial Bowl.

In Alcoa's defense, they played up in AA for years. I think they dropped into their correct class in 1976 or 1977 and reeled of three straight A State Championships from 1977-1979. The 1974 team at Alcoa was 0-9. 

Edited by Red Rebels

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 0:29 PM, OldIndian18 said:

This is an interesting column. There are a lot of great teams that did not make it to the big game, but still have legit claims to be among the best teams in Tennessee history. Let me add another one. Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett 1979 (9-1), only loss was to Science Hill, 9-7, in the second game of the season. DB won 8 in a row and did not get to go to the playoffs as only one team per district made the tourney back then. DB beat eventual state champion Oak Ridge in Kingsport in a classic 21-14 comeback win. That was the only blemish on the Oak Ridge record for two state championship seasons. The DB defense, led by Larry Cage (UGA signee), was punishing and gave up only 62 points all season. The offense had a strong option running game that featured David Templeton (Carson-Newman). In the final game of the season, DB blew out Elizabethton, 35-8. 'Betsy was the preseason pick to win the conference/district and had only one loss to Johnson City. Had there been a rematch with Oak Ridge, it would have been a real showdown. 

Very interesting column.  1984 was the last year that only the district champions qualified for the playoffs and there were only 4 rounds of the playoffs (16 teams) back then.  1985 was the first year of the expansion to 5 rounds and saw the district champs AND runner-ups qualify for the playoffs...

The 1984 Farragut Admirals were ranked in the top 10 in Class AAA all year.  They opened the year by defeating Rhea Co. in Evensville 25-6. (RC made the AAA semifinals in 1983).  Farragut started the year 3-0 and were ranked #3 in the state.  They lost to an upstart Doyle team 13-7 for their only district loss of the year.  They followed that up the next week by losing at Oak Ridge 14-7.  They would go to win their last 5 games and finish the year 8-2 including a win over Kingsport D-B at home.  Their only two losses would be to undefeated teams.  Doyle would go 10-0 and be crowned champions of district 4-AAA, and OR would go 10-0 as well, champions of district 3-AAA.  Subsequently, Oak Ridge would beat Doyle in the first round of the playoffs to be crowned Region 2-AAA Champions but would fall to Jefferson County the next week.  Back then, East TN ran through the Patriots of Jeff Co.  (The Admirals lost to Jeff Co. the prior year in the 1983 playoffs, 28-14, after defeating Oak Ridge for the region championship the week before).  However the finish, the 1984 Farragut Admirals would go 8-2 and never drop out of the top 10 rankings for Class AAA, but did not qualify for the playoffs.  This has to be one of the best teams, along with the teams like the 1979 DB Indians, to not make the playoffs. 

1984 Farragut Admirals coached by Dan Bland

@ Rhea County W 25-6 (coached by Bill Horton)

Bearden W 35-7

@ Karns W 31-0

Doyle L 7-13

@ Oak Ridge L 7-14 (coached by Bill Young)

Dobyns-Bennett W 14-13 (coached by Ted Wilson)

@ Carter W 21-15

@ Sevier Co. W 31-9

Heritage W 28-13

William Blount W 39-22

Interesting note: That Doyle team broke a 26-game losing streak that ended in the last game of the 1983 season.  They would carry that momentum into 1984 to go undefeated before losing to OR.  

And while I mention one team that did not qualify for the playoffs back then, I could probably list all those Jeff Co. teams from the 1980's that did not win a state title.  They were in the semifinals or finals every year from 1983-89 yet only won the AAA title in 1987.  Those were some tough teams.

Edited by CU06

On 6/20/2004 at 1:26 PM, medman said:

How about the Todd Helton led Central team. They lost to Oak Ridge in the semi's, I think. I believe the score was 50-43 Oak Ridge. They were supposed to be the 2 best in the state that year. I still hear people say it was the best HS game ever in this part of the state.

Only 14 years too late.  Final score was actually 42-41 for OR at Central.  Blocked XP.

1991 Oak Ridge at Central semifinals

Edited by CU06

• 2 weeks later...