Pros and Cons of Officiating

TheGreatLineJudge

I think this will be interesting, to say the least.

I want to know what all you die-hards think. If you were in an official's shoes, what do you think they like most (and also dislike) about their job?

Make it as far flung and comprehensive, or simple, as you like. I want to see how people perceive us as a group.

I'm gonna sit back, watch, laugh sometimes, and try not to say anything (except comments in passing). After I see a whopper or two, I'll chime in with reality.

What do YOU think the pros and cons of officiating are?

Judge, since no one else is playing..

Officials like their job the most when:

-you weren't sure if it was a net, then she looks up at you guiltily so you can blow it confidently

-you realized you should have called the carry then that team hits it out anyway.

-nothing really happens but a volleyball game and the kids had fun.

Officials don't like their job when:

-they forgot how to rule on BB goals partially raised and the ball hits it on match point!

-another know-it-all who has seen vb outside of Murfreesboro suggests that the game is meant to be played, not officiated. "Who do they think they are telling me I shouldn't deem 30 things illegal in one match?? We play with my local rules, good ole 1950's rules, around these parts! And, I don't know what this new fangled backrow attack thing is either, just give me my $60 and leave me alone, you're messin with my show of force!" ...OOPS, my pet peeve showing!

Why do so many TN officials get an attitude when it becomes apparent that they Will NOT read the book? If you'd just read the little book you wouldn't feel so threatened ..don't you feel guilty taking your check knowing that you WILL NOT become familiar with the rules and modern ball handling traditions?

Praise to all officials who:

1. do read the rulebook

2. try to get a feel for what the current national standards are for ball handling.

3. don't view vb officiating as their op. to exert power over players who just want to play and coaches who actually read the rule book and expect them to do so as well.