Top 2 Not Top 4

vball007

okay so in volleyball only the top 2 teams advance. but in basketball the top 4. how can one sport get 4 and another get 2. if i am not mistaking they are the only sport that get the top 4. my daughter plays on centennials team and i will say tehy have the hardest district in tennessee. but only the top 2 get out every year when there are 4 tearms that trully would make it to state.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay so in volleyball only the top 2 teams advance. but in basketball the top 4. how can one sport get 4 and another get 2. if i am not mistaking they are the only sport that get the top 4. my daughter plays on centennials team and i will say tehy have the hardest district in tennessee. but only the top 2 get out every year when there are 4 tearms that trully would make it to state.

here is my take on this:

Yes you have the hardest district in the state...it isn't even close.

There are still AAA schools in TN that do not have Volleyball...thus less teams.

Volleyball is not a revenue sport. TSSAA does not make any money if 2 or 4 teams play in the regional. However they do make money on gate with 4 basketball teams playing.

TSSAA doesn't care about Volleyball in my opinion. If you were at the State Tournament last year it was obvious...it was embarrasing.

I hate it for teams like Cent, Indepen, Riverdale etc...who would all win 90% of the districts in this state but can't get out of the district.

But I don't agree that you can lose 4 times in the basketball state tournament and still be State Champs...that is a joke.

Until more people get on the Volleyball bandwagon it won't change. if there wasn't outrage last year about the tournament...then I am afraid that there never will be. But I am just a random fan of the game.... with no authority unfortunatly

here is my take on this:

Yes you have the hardest district in the state...it isn't even close.

There are still AAA schools in TN that do not have Volleyball...thus less teams.

Volleyball is not a revenue sport. TSSAA does not make any money if 2 or 4 teams play in the regional. However they do make money on gate with 4 basketball teams playing.

TSSAA doesn't care about Volleyball in my opinion. If you were at the State Tournament last year it was obvious...it was embarrasing.

I hate it for teams like Cent, Indepen, Riverdale etc...who would all win 90% of the districts in this state but can't get out of the district.

But I don't agree that you can lose 4 times in the basketball state tournament and still be State Champs...that is a joke.

Until more people get on the Volleyball bandwagon it won't change. if there wasn't outrage last year about the tournament...then I am afraid that there never will be. But I am just a random fan of the game.... with no authority unfortunatly

Hi clifford20 - what was the outrage last year? Page didn't make it to the show last year so I hadn't heard what happened other than the officials not tearing down the 2nd court and the finals being played on the big court like it should have been. But that wasn't a TSSAA thing, was it? I thought that was the call of the officials that were there. What else happened?

You are absolutely right, it is a serious shame, but I can't think of a way to rectify this situation except to take more teams to the tournament, maybe like you suggest, take 4 to regional out of each district. East Tn. has many good teams that won't get to the show because of that same thing, especially in A/AA.

You are absolutely right, it is a serious shame, but I can't think of a way to rectify this situation except to take more teams to the tournament, maybe like you suggest, take 4 to regional out of each district. East Tn. has many good teams that won't get to the show because of that same thing, especially in A/AA.

Couple things first and biggest thing is that the Champinship started at 1:00 ( or earlier) on a Friday! Students were not able to support their school (if they wanted to). Some parents even had a hard time making the games.

Second that they couldn't even run a real court for the championship. They stuck the court at one end (taped lines). At least make the final game on the main floor.

Plus the total lack of any kind of decent ceremony. I am a bit jaded by how it is ran. It doesn't even feel like "an event". Do you know what I mean? If you have never gotten a chance to see how other states do it, it is hard to relate.

Couple things first and biggest thing is that the Champinship started at 1:00 ( or earlier) on a Friday! Students were not able to support their school (if they wanted to). Some parents even had a hard time making the games.

Second that they couldn't even run a real court for the championship. They stuck the court at one end (taped lines). At least make the final game on the main floor.

Plus the total lack of any kind of decent ceremony. I am a bit jaded by how it is ran. It doesn't even feel like "an event". Do you know what I mean? If you have never gotten a chance to see how other states do it, it is hard to relate.

I know exactly what you mean! I remember that they did start really early. I can tell you that 2003 and before, at least when Page was winning the championships, the ceremonies were really good. We always got to play on the big court, the jumbo-tron was going (it was going the whole tournament) and there was a feeling of "greatness", of importance. Lots of press, lots of fans (cause the matches were a little later), generally much better than the last 2 years. I don't like playing at outside venues, it tends to feel like just another tournament. The "hugeness" of the MTSU venue is what makes the event seem as important as it is. All the problems you mention came about when the state adopted the 3 out of 5 rule.

This past year, they didn't even bother with the Jumbo-tron...the girls loved seeing their team name up there in lights! And since the teams are spread out all over, the MTSU venue isn't covered with signs that the teams make for themselves. Anyone that has been to lots of state championships knows that reading all the signs is really fun and sort of a competition between teams. Who can do the best signs? It's another fun thing the girls do together and it adds to the fun and bonding.

OK, how to correct these problems...

How do you fit 3 championship matches in one evening when they are playing 3 outof 5 games. If you are the last division to play the championship, is it fair to ask that they start at 9:00 pm or after, cause if you have the 2 other divisions go to 5 games, then it really might happen. What is the solution?

Then there is the court thing - hopefully last year was an isolated event with the girls not playing on the big court. That wasn't TSSAA, that decision was made by the officials there because they were running so late on one of those courts.

And the ceremonies being bad, I guess the only thing to do about that is complain which probably will do no good. Playing on the side court really hurt the ceremonies, I'm sure. I don't know why they aren't as good as in previous years. Winning state is the ultimate goal that every team has, but only one reaches. It should be given the importance that it deserves. What would you like to see in a ceremony?

I know exactly what you mean! I remember that they did start really early. I can tell you that 2003 and before, at least when Page was winning the championships, the ceremonies were really good. We always got to play on the big court, the jumbo-tron was going (it was going the whole tournament) and there was a feeling of "greatness", of importance. Lots of press, lots of fans (cause the matches were a little later), generally much better than the last 2 years. I don't like playing at outside venues, it tends to feel like just another tournament. The "hugeness" of the MTSU venue is what makes the event seem as important as it is. All the problems you mention came about when the state adopted the 3 out of 5 rule.

This past year, they didn't even bother with the Jumbo-tron...the girls loved seeing their team name up there in lights! And since the teams are spread out all over, the MTSU venue isn't covered with signs that the teams make for themselves. Anyone that has been to lots of state championships knows that reading all the signs is really fun and sort of a competition between teams. Who can do the best signs? It's another fun thing the girls do together and it adds to the fun and bonding.

OK, how to correct these problems...

How do you fit 3 championship matches in one evening when they are playing 3 outof 5 games. If you are the last division to play the championship, is it fair to ask that they start at 9:00 pm or after, cause if you have the 2 other divisions go to 5 games, then it really might happen. What is the solution?

Then there is the court thing - hopefully last year was an isolated event with the girls not playing on the big court. That wasn't TSSAA, that decision was made by the officials there because they were running so late on one of those courts.

And the ceremonies being bad, I guess the only thing to do about that is complain which probably will do no good. Playing on the side court really hurt the ceremonies, I'm sure. I don't know why they aren't as good as in previous years. Winning state is the ultimate goal that every team has, but only one reaches. It should be given the importance that it deserves. What would you like to see in a ceremony?

That's because it's all about the $$$ for TSSAA, not about Pomp & Circumstance (sp). If a kid makes it to state with his/her team, they should receive something that will be remembered for life, especially if they win. An award's ceremony fitting to a State Champion should be expected and delivered by TSSAA and the players/parents should not be disappointed. JMO

That's because it's all about the $$$ for TSSAA, not about Pomp & Circumstance (sp). If a kid makes it to state with his/her team, they should receive something that will be remembered for life, especially if they win. An award's ceremony fitting to a State Champion should be expected and delivered by TSSAA and the players/parents should not be disappointed. JMO

I totally agree! It used to be that way - that is what I'm saying. What would make a good ceremony in your opinion?

I totally agree! It used to be that way - that is what I'm saying. What would make a good ceremony in your opinion?

A Couple of things that could add to the event are recognizing great coach's, ref's, offcials. Have a "Coach Neely" award for an outstanding coach. Recognize the AD, principal. Announce All State teams...not just all tournament.

A mental attitude award for a scrappy kid.

If you make the final 4...you deserve something..a certificate, a key chain..something.

I am ok with the first round of the tournament being at a local school. Once the final 4 are decided then moving to MTSU.

The finals should be played later in the day. Allow people the choice of attending.

Just a few of my ideas.

Promote it, invite middle schools, high schools.

But that wasn't a TSSAA thing, was it? I thought that was the call of the officials that were there. What else happened?

I was not there, but I would bet big money no one with a whistle around their neck made that decision. It was a different kind of 'offical' i'd wager. Sounds like a management decision - like 'new' Coke, or "let's launch anyway".

A Couple of things that could add to the event are recognizing great coach's, ref's, offcials. Have a "Coach Neely" award for an outstanding coach. Recognize the AD, principal. Announce All State teams...not just all tournament.

A mental attitude award for a scrappy kid.

If you make the final 4...you deserve something..a certificate, a key chain..something.

I am ok with the first round of the tournament being at a local school. Once the final 4 are decided then moving to MTSU.

The finals should be played later in the day. Allow people the choice of attending.

Just a few of my ideas.

Promote it, invite middle schools, high schools.

I like your suggestions except for the one that playing at other venues is ok. Year before last, there were teams that didn't get to play at MTSU and that isn't ok. They didn't even feel like they had played at a state championship tournament. That is the thrill for the girls, when they walk into that huge place, seeing the jumbo-tron displaying the names of the teams and having animated "BOOM" or "Spike" in huge letters on it when there is a kill...that is priceless and none of the teams that earned the right to play in this tournament should have to go home without that experience. I don't have a solution, but no team should go home without playing at MTSU. These teams earned the right to be there.

Also, I agree that the finals should be played later, but what time do you start? If you start at 5, then the next match may not start till 7. Then the last final will start at 9 pm? That isn't fair to the last division that plays. Remember that after each match they give awards and that takes time. I don't have a solution to this problem either other than to have finals on Saturdays.