TSSAA/Club Volleyball Question...

bb4me

I was told that it is illegal to play on your high school basketball team and also play club volleyball at the same time. Is this true, or have I been lied to?

While not claiming to be a TSSAA expert, I think you have been lied too. It would be illegal to play HS Volleyball and Club VB at the same time, but there is no relation between HS Basketball and Club VB.

Edited by Old Timer

I was told that it is illegal to play on your high school basketball team and also play club volleyball at the same time. Is this true, or have I been lied to?

You've been lied to. Lots of girls play successfully on their HS basketball team and on a club volleyball team too. Sounds like your coach doesn't want you playing another sport. Boo on them! I am very, very tired of basketball coaches "hogging" the players...in our school they strongly discourage bb players to play volleyball...going so far as to bench them until they get the message.

Edited by play4keeps

Big Fat Greek Lie.

The pertinent rule is that an ath. in season at a TSSAA school can't compete in THAT sport elsewhere till her tm is eliminated from the TSSAA season. (can practice, can't compete)

The only other major rule is the one about not playing for your HS coach in non-TSSAA ball until after your eligibility is done in that sport (a Sr. VB player can play for their HS coach in Club 18's)

Edited by ComPassion

You've been lied to. Lots of girls play successfully on their HS basketball team and on a club volleyball team too. Sounds like your coach doesn't want you playing another sport. Boo on them! I am very, very tired of basketball coaches "hogging" the players...in our school they strongly discourage bb players to play volleyball...going so far as to bench them until they get the message.

Agreed....this is far too common. BB Coach at USJ made girls choose last year and he lost several players to VB. You can look at their record this year to see how they have been affected. My daughter loves BB & VB, however if she is made to choose, BB will lose out during her High School years.

That's a crock! Not a thing to prevent that; Taylor Parrish is the first girl who came to mind in that respect. Although she's given up basketball for her senior year, she's played both club and basketball since 8th grade.

Hope all is well! 6 months 'til high school volleyball is hot again!