Top !0 Volleyball Schools

bratman

I yearn for a kindler gentler America.

I don't think R.Reagan was good for America, either.

My simple thoughts on club...club ball is the best exposure for players IF they have the endurance to play nearly year round and not get burned out.

And AC is always in the hunt because they have 4 coaches. All 4 obviously well qualified (ooooh - that leaves a bad taste in my mouth) to teach excellent vb skills. Most teams have 1 coach with a math (or some other) teacher (mostly unqualified) to help as an assistant. That is why they can get away with not having so many club girls.

And I still like your top 10.

I'll edit to say that my bet is that most of the top 10 list in the original post have better than average assistant coaches.

Edited by Cowboys Up

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to make on little correction and to add a name.

It is not Extreme Volleyball Club out of MTSU any more, it is Tennessee Lightning. The coach your are referring to is Tyrone Jenkins and I will go out on a limb here and say he is the best technical and skills coach in the area.

Thanks for the correction. My daughters have been involved in club for 8 years and old habits are hard to break (Xtreme vs. TN Lightning -- geeze I KNEW that! LOL)

Tyrone (thanks for the name I couldn't remember) did a camp at Wilson Central this summer for the team and you are right, he was a TERRIFIC skills coach and the girls really improved with his assistance.

Personally, as a high school senior of the only 2 on my team, I have found that club ball is IMPORTANT... the other senior on the team does NOT play club ball but is an AWESOME player with 3 (well now only 2) sports that she plays but I have talked with her about what college and all that good stuff and have found that even though she is good at volleyball, she has not talked to ANY colleges about volleyball due to the lack of exposure high school ball can give you. It's too hard for college coaches to focus on coaching their own college team and recruiting during the same season and I believe that's what club ball does is gives college coaches a chance to recruit during the off-season.

For me I don't know what I would have done without my club coach! I would have been taught the exact same way by the exact same person if it weren't for club ball. My 16's coach, Joe, was one of the BEST coaches in my league, (many may not agree but it's a personal statement) if it wasn't for him, his GREAT coaching, and his enthusiasm to GET me a scholarship I probably wouldn't have one right now! My high school coach also coaches the middle school and she has a family so she is TOO busy with other priorities and doesn't have time to focus on her player's availability for college coaches to watch. Joe, my 16s club coach, told me what I needed to do and how to word all the right words and EVERYTHING that I needed to be recruited.

I have also heard of high school coaches that are open and willing to help you so I can understand that some may take offense about club being the ONLY way to be recruited but personally if I were a college coach (I am kind of aspiring to be one day) I would most likely recruit the girls that had club ball experience. But that's just my opinion on this whole topic.

"Love that is not madness, is not love"-Pedro Calderon de la Barca

PS: That quote was about the sport of volleyball...or atleast for me it is! :rolleyes:

GULP!!!

Okay, way past 40 close to 50. That hit close ro home oldsklvb!!!

I have never slammed club, my daughter did it for a year. Just don't like the overwhelming egos of some involved.

After a terse phone call I learned that the AC coaches are now involved in the Smokey Mountain Club and I was told in no uncertain terms to get off of clubs back or my football parking priviledges were gone. Soooooo,

"I realize that club has earned an important place in the developement of high school volleyball in the state of Tennessee. Through the support and cooperation of the schools mentioned on the lists at the begining of this post club has become a welcome partner girls volleyball."

Is that better?

As to Kydigs. Never said you cost AC a match. Just echoed the comment that you were an awful line judge. Watched you blow a half dozen calls during the day. Loved the tournament, liked your school, but you bring me down.

I yearn for a kindler gentler America.

Met you briefly two years ago when I "thought" you told me your daughter was a senior. Met the Ghost too and really liked him. Our team never played your team that year, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you saw me line judge and dissapproved of what you saw. Last year, met Ghost again and it was my understanding from him that you were not at that tournament because your daughter had graduated the year before. Lafayette played AC for the very first time, and as far as I know you were not even there, yet you got on here "last" season and claimed our team had "weak" setters and could not "play up" to good competition like AC was capable of. I think I have shown remarkable restraint in responding to all of your somewhat sarcastic and negative posts. I've really got no problem with you, but you sure seem to have a problem with me. Not much I can do about that. I believe what I believe regarding the importance of club ball and you believe otherwise. No real reason we shouldn't be able to disgaree and remain civil though. That's my plan anyway should I continue to post here from time to time.

Met you briefly two years ago when I "thought" you told me your daughter was a senior. Met the Ghost too and really liked him. Our team never played your team that year, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you saw me line judge and dissapproved of what you saw. Last year, met Ghost again and it was my understanding from him that you were not at that tournament because your daughter had graduated the year before. Lafayette played AC for the very first time, and as far as I know you were not even there, yet you got on here "last" season and claimed our team had "weak" setters and could not "play up" to good competition like AC was capable of. I think I have shown remarkable restraint in responding to all of your somewhat sarcastic and negative posts. I've really got no problem with you, but you sure seem to have a problem with me. Not much I can do about that. I believe what I believe regarding the importance of club ball and you believe otherwise. No real reason we shouldn't be able to disgaree and remain civil though. That's my plan anyway should I continue to post here from time to time.

Digs, I appreciate the restraint. Greatly.

Bratmav, please lay off the sarcasm/negativity and stay on topic. While I find your off-topic comments amusing on occasion, it would be better to make them few and far between, and something like 95% topic, 5% off-topic, not the other way around. You know your volleyball and you make nice contributions to volleyball discussions, so it would be appreciated if you'd stick to those! :rolleyes:

Edited by TheGreatLineJudge

Personally, as a high school senior of the only 2 on my team, I have found that club ball is IMPORTANT... the other senior on the team does NOT play club ball but is an AWESOME player with 3 (well now only 2) sports that she plays but I have talked with her about what college and all that good stuff and have found that even though she is good at volleyball, she has not talked to ANY colleges about volleyball due to the lack of exposure high school ball can give you. It's too hard for college coaches to focus on coaching their own college team and recruiting during the same season and I believe that's what club ball does is gives college coaches a chance to recruit during the off-season.

For me I don't know what I would have done without my club coach! I would have been taught the exact same way by the exact same person if it weren't for club ball. My 16's coach, Joe, was one of the BEST coaches in my league, (many may not agree but it's a personal statement) if it wasn't for him, his GREAT coaching, and his enthusiasm to GET me a scholarship I probably wouldn't have one right now! My high school coach also coaches the middle school and she has a family so she is TOO busy with other priorities and doesn't have time to focus on her player's availability for college coaches to watch. Joe, my 16s club coach, told me what I needed to do and how to word all the right words and EVERYTHING that I needed to be recruited.

I have also heard of high school coaches that are open and willing to help you so I can understand that some may take offense about club being the ONLY way to be recruited but personally if I were a college coach (I am kind of aspiring to be one day) I would most likely recruit the girls that had club ball experience. But that's just my opinion on this whole topic.

"Love that is not madness, is not love"-Pedro Calderon de la Barca

PS: That quote was about the sport of volleyball...or atleast for me it is! :D

Chik, good post but one thing you said that really struck me was "For me I don't know what I would have done without my club coach! I would have been taught the exact same way by the exact same person if it weren't for club ball." That is something I'm not sure some take into consideration being taught something "new". That's also why going to different camps can be good for development. Just so I'm not completely "off topic"..... nice Top 10 list!!

Obviously some posts have been pulled (before I got to see them anyway) but I concur with GLJ, nice job Digs on biting your tongue! Also, as far as calling lines (and especially complaining about it) you can always tell who has or has not done it. In this case Digs has and I guarantee you Brat has not!

Obviously some posts have been pulled (before I got to see them anyway) but I concur with GLJ, nice job Digs on biting your tongue! Also, as far as calling lines (and especially complaining about it) you can always tell who has or has not done it. In this case Digs has and I guarantee you Brat has not!

I've called line for so many matches I couldn't even begin to give an estimate of how many. I always marvel at how well those fans in the seats on the opposite side of the court see whether the ball does or does not hit the line. The line is IN whether it's my team that hits it or the other team. Last year AC fans moaned on two line calls I made against their team. The Ghost made at least one that went against our team. The balls I called were no more than 5 feet from me and they definately hit the line. I have no doubt the Ghost called his line correctly also. I'm not saying I've never missed one, but I'm fairly certain I didn't miss those.

Now back on topic. Page deserves to be on that top 10 list with 4 actual championships. Greatness is measured on championships, not on being close. Nobody regards the Vikings or Bills as great NFL programs because they made it to several superbowls and lost. The Cowboys sure are though because they have won a few even if they have had good years and bad. Same with the Steelers and Patriots. KY, UCLA, NC and Duke are considered GREAT college basketball programs because they won numerous titles, but dont have great seasons every year. Titles are the real measure of greatness. Page definately belongs on that list somewhere in the top 5.

Speaking of Georgetown, I have so much repsect for that program, yet if you mentioned g-town to players they would first not have a clue who they were and then they would think..."just an naia school". So many athletes have the "D-1" myth in their head, yet G-town would pound many D-1 programs. (by the way how is their new coach?)

Personally (and maybe I'm just a bit biased) but their new coach, now starting her 2nd year, is great! She is easy to talk to, very honest and really knows where she wants to take the program.

Definitely knows her Vball:

- Mom was an outstanding coach in VA

- Played for a legendary coach @GC

- Was an All-American @GC (all everything)

- 1st year as head coach, 40-10, seeded 8th at NAIA Championships