Several Volleyball Articles in the Commercial Appeal

bd4vols

Looks like the CA is doing a really good job of keeping up with volleyball in its paper. Wow, if the Tennessean did this, we wouldn't know how to act. Volleyball is much bigger in Nashville than in Memphis, yet it seems we still aren't getting any press to speak of. They even have a top 10 poll for the Greater Memphis area. Come on Mid-state press...come out and cover the best thing going on right now.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/preps/

It doesn't have to be that way. They hired a new High School sports editor, and we were told that the Tennessean was going to provide good coverage of all high school sports. I guess that was just lip service. Hey Tennessean, if you don't want to PAY your writers to do the work, how about finding some future newspaper reporters at the local high schools and let them do some articles. I'm sure they'd love the experience of writing for a big paper and learning all about deadlines, you wouldn't have to pay their salaries, and minor sports would get coverage. You could even have full-proofing responsibilities. Looks like a win-win situation to me. If you will notice, a lot of the volleyball articles in the Commercial Appeal were written by some one "special to" the the CA. Some of these could be student writers.

It doesn't have to be that way. They hired a new High School sports editor, and we were told that the Tennessean was going to provide good coverage of all high school sports. I guess that was just lip service. Hey Tennessean, if you don't want to PAY your writers to do the work, how about finding some future newspaper reporters at the local high schools and let them do some articles. I'm sure they'd love the experience of writing for a big paper and learning all about deadlines, you wouldn't have to pay their salaries, and minor sports would get coverage. You could even have full-proofing responsibilities. Looks like a win-win situation to me. If you will notice, a lot of the volleyball articles in the Commercial Appeal were written by some one "special to" the the CA. Some of these could be student writers.

Or "lift" the articles from other area papers. The Lebanon Democrat reports on HS volleyball EVERY DAY if there is a match the night before...I have the clippings to prove it...and they've done it at least since 1999 when my oldest started playing in HS. I'm sure they could pay the small town papers a pittance to reprint the articles. Most nights it's more of a stats report but when 2 Wilson County schools play against each other there is a really nice article about the match complete with pictures.

In defense of the Tenessean, they can only do so much. They have made a greater effort this year than any year prior to this one. The coaches must turn in necessary info in order for them to be able to cover the smaller sports, if this is not addressed by the coaches then it will not be covered in the paper.