Best Players from the Old NIL (Nashville Interscholastic League)

gator

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the following players were the best ever in the old NIL:

Defense: E.J. Junior (Mapelwood) & Greg Gaines (DuPont) both of these guys had long careers in the NFL

Offense: Bill Wade (MBA), Mike Wright (Father Ryan), and Ingle Martin (MBA) all played professional football or professional baseball.

MVP: "Jefferson Street" Joe Gilliam (Pearl, Tennessee State & Pittsburgh Steelers)

Better than Terry Bradshaw and proved it but the NFL was not ready for a minority to play QB on a Super Bowl championship team.

Bigchief

You are truly "Old School". :thumb: Good list although there should be more than one Startford Spartan on there.

Wayne Bush was the most dominant high school player I ever saw. I would add Steve Shaw from Litton to your list.

Steve Shaw, Litton class of '59. Dead ringer for Burt Reynolds in the early days. Hope he doesn't look like him now. Give me a day or two and I will tweak my list to include some from EVERY school in the old NIL. Shadow, get ready.

Steve Shaw, Litton class of '59. Dead ringer for Burt Reynolds in the early days. Hope he doesn't look like him now. Give me a day or two and I will tweak my list to include some from EVERY school in the old NIL. Shadow, get ready.

That's going to be a task. I'll insist that you have representatives from Haynes, Meigs, Howard,Duncan,and TIS/TPS, for it to be truly official.

Wasn't there a Jesse Mathers from North?

What year would he have played at Maplewood? I know a Carl George who is about 60 and had kids that played at FRA in the early-to-mid 80s; I wonder if it's the same Carl George.

Maplewood Class of '62. Was the first grad class. Carl would be about 62 now. He had real good stats in basketball. Automatic turn and shoot post player. Lived on Meridian st.

The rest of the back field that year; HBs Gordon Gregory, Jim Bundy, and FB Steave Sprinkles.

At Center was Jimmy Cooper who had a sucessful HS coaching carrier in GA or AL.