Best Players from the Old NIL (Nashville Interscholastic League)

gator

More good players:

Jack Crawford - Pearl

Jim Gaylor - Overton

Tim Corn - Goodlettsville

Coveak Moody - Ryan

Ralph Carahan - Overton

Randolph Williamson - Pearl

Kenny Johnson - Donelson

Kenny Jones - Stratford.

:thumb:

From Goodlettsville, you could also mention Andy Corn, David Alsup, and Charlie Payne.

I haven't checked closely, but I think Red Gaylor and Jimmy Gaylor are the only father/son group on here. You might be able to make a case for Charlie and Bill Hawkins (MBA), and Fred and Michael Fisher, although the NIL was long dead by the time Michael was there.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Goodlettsville, you could also mention Andy Corn, David Alsup, and Charlie Payne.

I haven't checked closely, but I think Red Gaylor and Jimmy Gaylor are the only father/son group on here. You might be able to make a case for Charlie and Bill Hawkins (MBA), and Fred and Michael Fisher, although the NIL was long dead by the time Michael was there.

Maxie (Cohn) and Joey (Hillwood) Runyan would be a good father/son combo from the NIL.

First of all, what a brilliant list! Really well done.

The only school I think you missed is Cumberland... soem of their top players were Walter Nipper, Bobby Woodroof, G. P. West, Carlton Flatt, Bruce Bowers, Danny Hunley, Jamie Pride, Leo Pascual, and Walter Buck (his jr. year was Cumberland's final year; he finished at Maplewood). DelaWarr could probably add more Cumberland names, if he's around.

I would have included Terry Potter from Goodlettsville; he was a captain at Vanderbilt.

Cary Curd at Two Rivers was a very talented quarterback on their final team.

I'm amazed that you remembered Wallace.

The only Duncan athlete I can recall is John Bennett, who was a coach and athletic director at MBA for many years.

Again, I bow in your direction.

More Cumberland High players:

Many of the old oldtimers claimed over the years that possibly the best athlete to play at Cumberland High was Bud Walton, whose playing days were prior to 1940. He went on to play at Florida.

LF West, Jr. returned from service to resume play in 1946, then continued on the next level at UT-Martin.

Raymond Farmer played during the late '40s and early 1950s and went on to play for the University of Louisville.

Some other top players during the mid to late 1950s were Jerry Flatt, Sammy Flatt, Bobby Scott, and LeRoy Overstreet.

Bellevue:

I don't recall seeing on anybody's list a couple of top players for Bellevue from the early 1950s. Charlie Johnson and Lloyd Hill were on a championship team, I believe, in 1951. If recall is correct, they were undefeated.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Need some help. Someone went to East HS and I think played college ball at Murray State. Went on and played for the Denver Broncos in the NFL. Who would that be? John Griffin comes to mind, but I don't think he played at Murray State.

There was a John Griffin who was drafted by the Rams in 1963. He played at Nashville East and Memphis State.

What about Jeff Peoples? Didn't he win the NIL MVP in football and baseball?

Wayne Bush-Glencliff

Kenny Johnson-Donelson

Bonnie Sloan--Litton

Bill Wade--MBA

Chuck Boyd-Madison

Austin Denney-Donelson

Alex Gordy-Litton

Tom Moore-Goodlettsville

Richard Fulton-East

Maxie Runyon--Cohn

Kenneth Duke-Litton

Bobby Tillman--Litton

Mike Jones-Stratford

Preston Brown-Maplewood

Tom Marshall-Mt. Juliet

Greg Gaines-DuPont

George Volkert-Litton

Johnny Tomlinson--Litton (one year anyway)

Chuck Steagald--Donelson

There are way too many to mention. Maybe the best back and lineman from each team would be more like it, although that would still be hard to do.

Richard McAbee-Howard