All Time Maryville Team

jjones1115

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted some opions who people would put an All Time Maryville Red Rebel Team...

This is a very difficult thing to do because a lot of guys who were stars in the 60's,70's&80's would be very average players in todays game. Mainly due to fact that agility was stressed and you never heard of year round "voluntary"weight programs.

The game itself has changed so much from the game we used to play. When I was there in the early 80'swe still ran

the wish bone. The shotgun formation was still called the single wing, and some of us still changed shoes to kick an extra point or field goal. That being said I don't know if anyone I played with would see the field today. don't any body get mad this is just my opinion.

Here's a few names I'd consider...

Carl Stewart RB

Brent Burnett QB (Cade Thompson 2nd string)

Aaron Douglas TE

Tyler Maples WR/DB/PR

Danny Spradlin LB (Played for UT & Dallas Cowboys)

Chuck Prugh OL

Nick Black OL

Matt Blankenship LB

Dwight Wood DE

There was an ol in the early 80's that went to UT. Cannot think of the name....you older guys will know.

My experience is limited only to MHS teams since '95, but these are the players that's left a big impression from these years.

QB - Brent Burnette (definitely the best pocket passer we've had) 2nd. Toki McCray (I absolutely rank Toki as a better overall athlete than Cade Thompson, Nick Giles, and Jason Phillips, and even Burnette, but we've been very blessed with great quarterbacks at MHS since 1996, that's for sure.)

RB - Carl Stewart 2nd. Michael Potter ( Jason Hicks, who was a tough, versatile guy - he even played QB for a while - would have to be our fullback. )

WR - Tyler Maples 2nd. Brad Merritt 3rd. Tyler Gaskin

WR - Ryan Maples 2nd. Andrew Clement 3rd. Kyle Harris (he was a late bloomer, but turned into a deadly weapon)

( Obviously, there's no shortage of outstanding receivers that we've had at MHS. Tyler Clendenen this year has been very impressive. Stephen Shiver, Stephen Childs, David Sweetland, Scott Wilks, Alex Rouse, Will Curtiss, Joey Gourley and Jacob Holt would all also have to be considered as well... as long as George Quarles is head coach, our receivers will probably always be very good, since he was a receiver himself.)

TE - Aaron Douglas 2nd. Adam Parton ('95-'96 guy, Douglas is the first pure TE we've had since Parton, really...)

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - Nick Black

OL - John Raulston ( every time I hear about this guy it's always like he's been graded "perfect" on his performances, even though he wasn't that big compared to the others listed here )

(We've had a lot of great linemen thanks to Coach David Ellis... Matt Sharp, Issac Simerly, Drew Eubanks, Matt Tinker, Issac Cline, Chris Large, Jimmy Wallace, Cory Everett, Matt Gardner, Bobby Browning, Rhett Brooks, Justin Huskey, the list goes on and on. And this year's group is turning into a pretty good one too.)

DE - Drew Galyon

DL - Cole McKinney ( best run stuffer we've ever had, since '95 anyway )

DL - Brad Hilsher ( though he was a DE )

DE - Andrew Hodge

OLB - tie / Matt Oliver, Josh Theriot

MLB - tie / Stephen Pacifico and/or Matt Valentine. Andrew Healy was darn good here as well...

OLB - tie / Colton Baker and/or Morgan Shinlever ( very underrated '98 guy, but you did not want to be hit by him )

CB - tie / Ryan Maples and/or Matt Stalcup

CB - tie / Tyler Maples and/or David Sweetland ( short as he may be, Sweetland was known as "Mr. Excitement" for us in '96-'97 )

S - tie / Kyle Harris and Patrick Vananda ( '95-'96 guy, you guys probably won't remember him, but he was one of the few stars for us back then )

S - Scott Wilks ( another fierce hitter )

K - probably Takayuki Koyano is the best pure kicker we've had, although I'd want Anderson Kerr / Justin Deardorff, both from '96-'98, these two pretty much started the great kicking tradition we've had at Maryville for years and I personally wouldn't trade them for anybody else. Andrew Baumann was also an excellent clutch kicker as well.

KR - Tyler Maples (no question, he's the fastest guy we ever had at MHS since '95 at least) - a great team of returners for us would be Tyler, Ryan Maples, and David Sweetland. Too bad they were all a few years apart from each other - heh.

EDIT - Modified list 12/8/07, added Matt Stalcup, Colton Baker, and Andrew Baumann.

There was an ol in the early 80's that went to UT. Cannot think of the name....you older guys will know.

TJ Miles. His nephew is Alcoa linebacker Conner Miles. TJ was an animal. In 1984 he was benching well over 400lbs and weighed 280lbs.He was 6'3. I will never forget him blocking a guy from the 10 yard line all the way through the end zone and into the turf. That poor guy made the mistake of cheap shotting TJ the play before. That 1984 team was the best Maryville team to not win state. Another guy on that team was Troy Hodge. His son is the Alcoa tailback Troy Hodge. Troy SR got hurt in the Alcoa game. Had he stayed healthy I truly believe Maryville wins state that year.

My experience is limited only to MHS teams since '95, but these are the players that's left a big impression from these years.

QB - Brent Burnette (definitely the best pocket passer we've had) 2nd. Toki McCray (I absolutely rank Toki as a better overall athlete than Cade Thompson, Nick Giles, and Jason Phillips, and even Burnette, but we've been very blessed with great quarterbacks at MHS since 1996, that's for sure.)

RB - Carl Stewart 2nd. Michael Potter ( Jason Hicks, who was a tough, versatile guy - he even played QB for a while - would have to be our fullback. )

WR - Ryan Maples 2nd. Andrew Clement 3rd. Kyle Harris (he was a late bloomer, but turned into a deadly weapon)

( Obviously, there's no shortage of outstanding receivers that we've had at MHS. Tyler Clendenen this year has been very impressive. Stephen Shiver, Stephen Childs, David Sweetland, Scott Wilks, Alex Rouse, Will Curtiss, Joey Gourley and Jacob Holt would all also have to be considered as well... as long as George Quarles is head coach, our receivers will probably always be very good, since he was a receiver himself.)

TE - Aaron Douglas 2nd. Adam Parton ('95-'96 guy, Douglas is the first pure TE we've had since Parton, really...)

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - Nick Black

OL - John Raulston ( every time I hear about this guy it's always like he's been graded "perfect" on his performances, even though he wasn't that big compared to the others listed here )

(We've had a lot of great linemen thanks to Coach David Ellis... Matt Sharp, Issac Simerly, Drew Eubanks, Matt Tinker, Issac Cline, Chris Large, Jimmy Wallace, Cory Everett, Matt Gardner, Bobby Browning, Rhett Brooks, Justin Huskey, the list goes on and on. And this year's group is turning into a pretty good one too.)

DE - Drew Galyon

DE - Andrew Hodge

MLB - tie / Stephen Pacifico and/or Matt Valentine. Andrew Healy was darn good here as well...

OLB - Morgan Shinlever ( very underrated '98 guy, but you did not want to be hit by him )

CB - Ryan Maples

CB - tie / Tyler Maples and/or David Sweetland ( short as he may be, Sweetland was known as "Mr. Excitement" for us in '96-'97 )

S - tie / Kyle Harris and Patrick Vananda ( '95-'96 guy, you guys probably won't remember him, but he was one of the few stars for us back then )

K - probably Takayuki Koyano is the best pure kicker we've had, although I'd want Anderson Kerr / Justin Deardorff, both from '96-'98, these two pretty much started the great kicking tradition we've had at Maryville for years and I personally wouldn't trade them for anybody else.

KR - Tyler Maples (no question, he's the fastest guy we ever had at MHS since '95 at least) - a great team of returners for us would be Tyler, Ryan Maples, and David Sweetland. Too bad they were all a few years apart from each other - heh.

You hit it right. Great bunch. "Kone Kake Kings"! lol.

Each one of them made the game exciting.

I'd include Andrew Baumann in there with the kickers though.

...and a fine group of gentlemen too.

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp

TJ Miles. His nephew is Alcoa linebacker Conner Miles. TJ was an animal. In 1984 he was benching well over 400lbs and weighed 280lbs.He was 6'3. I will never forget him blocking a guy from the 10 yard line all the way through the end zone and into the turf. That poor guy made the mistake of cheap shotting TJ the play before. That 1984 team was the best Maryville team to not win state. Another guy on that team was Troy Hodge. His son is the Alcoa tailback Troy Hodge. Troy SR got hurt in the Alcoa game. Had he stayed healthy I truly believe Maryville wins state that year.

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.

There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - Nick Black

DE - Drew Galyon

DE - Andrew Hodge

OLB - Morgan Shinlever ( very underrated '98 guy, but you did not want to be hit by him )

CB - Ryan Maples

K - probably Takayuki Koyano is the best pure kicker we've had, although I'd want Anderson Kerr / Justin Deardorff, both from '96-'98, these two pretty much started the great kicking tradition we've had at Maryville for years and I personally wouldn't trade them for anybody else.

Man-you shoulda seen some of the teams in the 70's et 80's-we moved to murvil in 1975 and i started going to games in 1976-i truly believe that's when the "tradition" started!!! It would be cool to get some highlights of those teams-wish you coulda seen 'em!!!

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.

There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

i forgot to thank you for the compliment about the best team not to win the state-i played on that team-we lost a heartbreaker to marion co. 14-13 in the semi's-we didn't have Troy et TJ was hobbled with an ankle injury-

i forgot to thank you for the compliment about the best team not to win the state-i played on that team-we lost a heartbreaker to marion co. 14-13 in the semi's-we didn't have Troy et TJ was hobbled with an ankle injury-

I played for Marion in that game. People still talk about it around here. Won of the toughest games I've ever been associated with.