All Time Maryville Team

jjones1115

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.

There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

#24 was Ricky Loope. He was an outstanding RB and Safety.

#50 was Rick Armfield. Armfield was 6' 200lbs but had the best technique I ever seen. He was strong and quick.

TJ Miles had a brother named Dan. Dan Miles would hit you.

Some other outstanding Maryville players in the 70s and early 80s were

QB. Tommy Beaver,Mike Phillips,Ronnie Irwin

RB. David Reed,Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Buster Smith,Ricky Maples,Donnie Hodge,Troy Hodge

WR. Willie Nelson,Curtis Middleton

OL. Rick Armfield,David and Mark Talley,Jeff Horton,TJ Miles,Steve Olivera,Randy Walker,Chuck Anderson

DL. Jeff Moose Evans,Mike Casteel,Johnny Hutton,Greg Casteel,John Ayers,Jeff Fuchs,Stanley Murrell

LB. Danny Spradlin,Tim Arnold,Ray Arnold,Richard Lowe,Jimmy Huffstettler,Scott Justice,Louis Moore

DB. David Olive,John Olive,Tim Phillips,Mike Click

Kickers. Ryan Gerhts, Matback and his loaded boot. I can't remember the kicker for the 1976 team. He was real good.

Maryville has some really good players in those years. I know I left some off. Just couldn't think of their names.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played for Marion in that game. People still talk about it around here. Won of the toughest games I've ever been associated with.

the td at the end of the 1st half et the missed PAT were killers-we kept fumbling once we got inside the twenty-man i wish we coulda been at full strenth for that game-we had a jr. on that team that had not fumbled since peewees et he fumbled i think 3 times-Troy didn't get to play-he rode in an RV down to Marion et was on crutches on the sideline-our TE blew out Troy's knee in the Alcoa game-it was a shame!!! have you seen his son play for Alcoa? talk about good bloodlines-Troy is his daddy et his mom was a state champion sprinter for Alcoa in the 80's.

murvil's recent success has softened the pain of that defeat-it's something that i still think about-i'm sure the defeat by Marshall co. in the championship game kinda sticks with you, too

#24 was Ricky Loope. He was an outstanding RB and Safety.

#50 was Rick Armfield. Armfield was 6' 200lbs but had the best technique I ever seen. He was strong and quick.

TJ Miles had a brother named Dan. Dan Miles would hit you.

Some other outstanding Maryville players in the 70s and early 80s were

QB. Tommy Beaver,Mike Phillips,Ronnie Irwin

RB. David Reed,Tommy Johnson,Tony Fox,Buster Smith,Ricky Maples,Donnie Hodge,Troy Hodge

WR. Willie Nelson,Curtis Middleton

OL. Rick Armfield,David and Mark Talley,Jeff Horton,TJ Miles,Steve Olivera,Randy Walker,Chuck Anderson

DL. Jeff Moose Evans,Mike Casteel,Johnny Hutton,Greg Casteel,John Ayers,Jeff Fuchs,Stanley Murrell

LB. Danny Spradlin,Tim Arnold,Ray Arnold,Richard Lowe,Jimmy Huffstettler,Scott Justice,Louis Moore

DB. David Olive,John Olive,Tim Phillips,Mike Click

Kickers. Ryan Gerhts, Matback and his loaded boot. I can't remember the kicker for the 1976 team. He was real good.

Maryville has some really good players in those years. I know I left some off. Just couldn't think of their names.

yes it was loope, et armfield i was talking about et i had forgotten about Louis Moore-talk about a hitter-great to hear those names again-by the way Dan Miles transferred to Alcoa but he was a hitter

In no order..

QB- Brent Burnette, Tommy Beaver, Cade Thompson, Ronnie Irwin, Mike "Fry" Phillips, Ricky Anderson

WR- Benny Davis, Tyler Maples, Willie Nelson, Brad Merritt, Tyler Gaskin

TE- Aaron Douglas, Brett McBrayer, Mike Casteel

OL- James Allison, Nick Black, Brandon Waters, Chuck Prugh, T.J. Miles, Gary Melton

RB- Carl Stewart, Michael Potter, David Reed, Ryan Tallent, Adrian "Tank" Baker

FB- Troy Bowman, Ray Arnold

Kick and Punt Returners- Troy Hodge Sr., Donnie Hodge, Tommy Johnson, Buster Smith, Ryan Maples, Michael Buchanan

PK- Ryan Gehrts, Michael Bauman, Taka Koyano, Andy Kerr, Justin Deardorff, Kenny Travis

Athlete (Multiple positions)- David Sweetland, Johnny Moscript, Maples Bros.

Punter- Phil Wilson

DE- Dwight Wood, Drew Galyon, Troy Bowman, John Emert, Mike Nelson, Ralph Lee

DT- Gary Tucker, Black/Prugh, Rick Armfield, Josh Smith

ILB- Danny Ray Spradlin, Larry Johnston, Andrew Healey, David McCord, Tanner Caylor, Steve Olivera

OLB- Ricky Maples, Mike West, Landon Hall, Colton Baker

Corner- Chris McCord, T.J. Brock, Matt Stalcup, Clement Bros.

Safety- Ricky Loope, Bob Hood, Scott Wilks, Kyle Harris, Steven Shiver

One kid I really liked a lot that you don't hear alot about because he played during that period of time when Maryville wasn't as dominating ... Brad Hatcher. He went on to be a real good player for Ken Sparks at CN. The original "one old coach" can tell you some stories about Brad.

He was a real animal at UT Ron....I think that alone precludes him form the list. Thats me though...my brother and sister were TJ's age. I always wondered about him...mentally. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Carl Stewart

RBMichael Potter FB (he didnt play it, but would make an excellent one)

Brent Burnette QB (Cade Thompson/Jason Phillips 2nd string)

Aaron Douglas TE (wasnt our current principal a TE?)

Tyler and/or Ryan Maples WR/DB/PR

Danny Spradlin LB (Played for UT & Dallas Cowboys)

Chuck Prugh OL

Nick Black OL

Tanner Caylor LB

Dwight Wood DE

Dee Arrington LB

Drew Galyon DE

Donnie Amburn, Alan Law or Tommy Beaver athlete

Willie Nelson WR (Wilson said he's the best athlete he's ever coached...period.)

Gary Tucker DL

Any of the Talleys (Jon, Paul, David, they were all good linemen)

Any of the Clements (need I say more?)

Any of the Smiths (that says it all)

Most of the Phillips (joking about "most") /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - John Raulston

There were a lot of entires I agreed with. BTW, this thread is on the wrong site...but thats my opinion

TJ was 6-5 270 when he wanted to be he was unblockable. Yes, Troy Hodge would have to be on an All Maryville Team as well as Andy Long, Brett McBrayer, Jeff Fuchs, Tommy Johnson (maybe the best back), Jimmy Huffstetler, Spradlin, Ronnie Irwin (if they were gonna run the option), who was #24 when Spradlin played? i can't remember his name but he was a goodin too. David Reed, Buster Smith, There's a lineman that played in the late 70's early 80's that wore 50 i believe and he wrestled also, he was an animal he alo played LB-again i'm having brain cramps.

There have been a lot of great murvil players throughout the years-i'm glad this thread got started-people should realize that we've had great players for a long, long time not just since the 90's!!!!!!!!

steve jacobson? QB senior 1980 - 81?

the td at the end of the 1st half et the missed PAT were killers-we kept fumbling once we got inside the twenty-man i wish we coulda been at full strenth for that game-we had a jr. on that team that had not fumbled since peewees et he fumbled i think 3 times-Troy didn't get to play-he rode in an RV down to Marion et was on crutches on the sideline-our TE blew out Troy's knee in the Alcoa game-it was a shame!!! have you seen his son play for Alcoa? talk about good bloodlines-Troy is his daddy et his mom was a state champion sprinter for Alcoa in the 80's.

murvil's recent success has softened the pain of that defeat-it's something that i still think about-i'm sure the defeat by Marshall co. in the championship game kinda sticks with you, too

The Marshall Co. game does still stick with me. I feel like our game with you guys was the state championship. We were spent both emotionally and physically for the next week. Too many times the best two teams play in the semis. Yep.. Troy's kid is for real.

Luckily, I coached at Marion during our state titles in the 90's. That softened it a bit for me, but will always remember the '85 loss.

#24 was Ricky Loope

#50 was Rick Armfield

but as i have stated before in this thread I played with some of the players named and i'm not sure any of us would see the field in todays game. I'm not knocking anyone it is just a different game than we played even 25 years ago.

but one I have to agree with is #82 William Nelson maybe the best to play the WR position.

Any All-Time Maryville List has to start with the 4 NFL Alums:

Jimmy "Cowboy" Hill

James Clifford Hill

Position: HB

Height: 6' 0'' Weight: 188

Born: 7/21/1929, in Knoxville, TN, USA

High School: Maryville (TN)

College: University of Tennessee

1951 Detroit Lions

1952 Detroit Lions

1955 Pittsburgh Steelers

and