All Time Maryville Team

jjones1115

Yes MHS ran the bone AND SPLIT-BACK formation with two quick backs..... very similar to GQ's split-backs of today. Coach Benny Monroe (Ooltewah HS) ran the offense. On the 70 team, Mynatt, Burchfield, Elrod & Hood shared time at the split backs. Tommy Beaver an awesome option QB and could also throw it. He played at 6-2, 190 which as very big for a QB in those days. Tommy could fly and was the 100yd man on the track team, pitcher & infielder on the baseball team & the 3 spot on the basketball team.

GQ would love to have Beaver in the shotgun spread option formation MHS runs today. Many of the players of the 70s era couldn't play with today's players, but Tommy was before his time. I believe he could play today. At the Championship QB reunion from a couple of years ago, many of the young QBs couldn't believe how big he is today (and was at that time).

Tru OldRebel2....and tha haid a manchild at FB inn sophmoore Troy Bowman..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tru OldRebel2....and tha haid a manchild at FB inn sophmoore Troy Bowman..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

True...when they ran the bone. The last half of the season, MHS seemed to run more split-back option than bone.

With such a great recruiting budget, it will not be long until new names pop up on your list. Better yet, WHO CARES!!

You guys are all the time high jacking everybody's threads so I thought I would do the same. But really, nobody cares!!!

Now Red...Eye cares...Go start a knew Jeff Countee thread ...and eye'll jump on that thang....'high jack" hit and fly hit two Havaner...... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

No doubt, if there is a thread about any east TN teams, someone from Maryville will jack it

"This iz tha Captun speekun' ....Eye wuz flyun thiz thread and sum Mairvul fan high jacked hit and iz holdin' me hostige until sumbody comes up wif a healthy doenation two tha Mairvul Recrutin' Fund"....Checks can allsew be maid payabull two STARSNBARS Garbige Servuss, Mairvul Tinnersee....and eye'll persunally see that hit gets two whur hits needed most.... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Rebelron, could that 76 kicker have been Kenny Travis?

Tommy Beaver, yes definitely ahead of his time. Also an outstanding golfer and I think he may still working at as golf pro at a country club in Georgia perhaps? Not so much he played so many sports, but played them all WELL. Blazing fast ball in baseball.

Agree with Philster on the quanity of players; may be easier to do it by decades? Joe Costner, Charlie Young, Larry Johnson, Robert Calloway, Hal Ferst just to name a few deserve a mention as well and they are from the sixties for the most part. Ferst, Al Keener and David Waters did some decent kicking back in the day.

• 2 years later...

In no order..

QB- Brent Burnette, Tommy Beaver, Cade Thompson, Ronnie Irwin, Mike "Fry" Phillips, Ricky Anderson

WR- Benny Davis, Tyler Maples, Willie Nelson, Brad Merritt, Tyler Gaskin

TE- Aaron Douglas, Brett McBrayer, Mike Casteel

OL- James Allison, Nick Black, Brandon Waters, Chuck Prugh, T.J. Miles, Gary Melton

RB- Carl Stewart, Michael Potter, David Reed, Ryan Tallent, Adrian "Tank" Baker

FB- Troy Bowman, Ray Arnold

Kick and Punt Returners- Troy Hodge Sr., Donnie Hodge, Tommy Johnson, Buster Smith, Ryan Maples, Michael Buchanan

PK- Ryan Gehrts, Michael Bauman, Taka Koyano, Andy Kerr, Justin Deardorff, Kenny Travis

Athlete (Multiple positions)- David Sweetland, Johnny Moscript, Maples Bros.

Punter- Phil Wilson

DE- Dwight Wood, Drew Galyon, Troy Bowman, John Emert, Mike Nelson, Ralph Lee

DT- Gary Tucker, Black/Prugh, Rick Armfield, Josh Smith

ILB- Danny Ray Spradlin, Larry Johnston, Andrew Healey, David McCord, Tanner Caylor, Steve Olivera

OLB- Ricky Maples, Mike West, Landon Hall, Colton Baker

Corner- Chris McCord, T.J. Brock, Matt Stalcup, Clement Bros.

Safety- Ricky Loope, Bob Hood, Scott Wilks, Kyle Harris, Steven Shiver

My experience is limited only to MHS teams since '95, but these are the players that's left a big impression from these years.

QB - Brent Burnette (definitely the best pocket passer we've had) 2nd. Toki McCray (I absolutely rank Toki as a better overall athlete than Cade Thompson, Nick Giles, and Jason Phillips, and even Burnette, but we've been very blessed with great quarterbacks at MHS since 1996, that's for sure.)

RB - Carl Stewart 2nd. Michael Potter ( Jason Hicks, who was a tough, versatile guy - he even played QB for a while - would have to be our fullback. )

WR - Tyler Maples 2nd. Brad Merritt 3rd. Tyler Gaskin

WR - Ryan Maples 2nd. Andrew Clement 3rd. Kyle Harris (he was a late bloomer, but turned into a deadly weapon)

( Obviously, there's no shortage of outstanding receivers that we've had at MHS. Tyler Clendenen this year has been very impressive. Stephen Shiver, Stephen Childs, David Sweetland, Scott Wilks, Alex Rouse, Will Curtiss, Joey Gourley and Jacob Holt would all also have to be considered as well... as long as George Quarles is head coach, our receivers will probably always be very good, since he was a receiver himself.)

TE - Aaron Douglas 2nd. Adam Parton ('95-'96 guy, Douglas is the first pure TE we've had since Parton, really...)

OL - Chase Anderson

OL - Chuck Prugh

OL - Brandon Waters

OL - Nick Black

OL - John Raulston ( every time I hear about this guy it's always like he's been graded "perfect" on his performances, even though he wasn't that big compared to the others listed here )

(We've had a lot of great linemen thanks to Coach David Ellis... Matt Sharp, Issac Simerly, Drew Eubanks, Matt Tinker, Issac Cline, Chris Large, Jimmy Wallace, Cory Everett, Matt Gardner, Bobby Browning, Rhett Brooks, Justin Huskey, the list goes on and on. And this year's group is turning into a pretty good one too.)

DE - Drew Galyon

DL - Cole McKinney ( best run stuffer we've ever had, since '95 anyway )

DL - Brad Hilsher ( though he was a DE )

DE - Andrew Hodge

OLB - tie / Matt Oliver, Josh Theriot

MLB - tie / Stephen Pacifico and/or Matt Valentine. Andrew Healy was darn good here as well...

OLB - tie / Colton Baker and/or Morgan Shinlever ( very underrated '98 guy, but you did not want to be hit by him )

CB - tie / Ryan Maples and/or Matt Stalcup

CB - tie / Tyler Maples and/or David Sweetland ( short as he may be, Sweetland was known as "Mr. Excitement" for us in '96-'97 )

S - tie / Kyle Harris and Patrick Vananda ( '95-'96 guy, you guys probably won't remember him, but he was one of the few stars for us back then )

S - Scott Wilks ( another fierce hitter )

K - probably Takayuki Koyano is the best pure kicker we've had, although I'd want Anderson Kerr / Justin Deardorff, both from '96-'98, these two pretty much started the great kicking tradition we've had at Maryville for years and I personally wouldn't trade them for anybody else. Andrew Baumann was also an excellent clutch kicker as well.

KR - Tyler Maples (no question, he's the fastest guy we ever had at MHS since '95 at least) - a great team of returners for us would be Tyler, Ryan Maples, and David Sweetland. Too bad they were all a few years apart from each other - heh.

EDIT - Modified list 12/8/07, added Matt Stalcup, Colton Baker, and Andrew Baumann.

With a post like that I'm glad your expeience is limited to post '95.

Off the top of my head I think Spradlin is the best I've seen come through Maryville but Douglas is very close.