8AAA Predictions?

StealthBuster

Should be a lot of fun Sunday, although I'm not sure how important the #1 seed really is. Coffee County and Lincoln County are both very formidable opponents, assuming they both win on the first day. In fact, the #2 seed could get the play-in winner if they happen to pull the upset, so that would be a major advantage. Either way, the tournament will be great to be sure. I just hate it will all be during the day on weekdays when most people can't make it, which hurts what would be a great atmosphere.

But the positive is, teams play on the best playing surface in the district. No bells & whistles just baseball without all the darn noise.

Do Shelbyville/Columbia pitch the "big boys" or rest them for the tourney?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the positive is, teams play on the best playing surface in the district. No bells & whistles just baseball without all the darn noise.

That's the big question of the day. I'm not sure how the coaches will handle it. I say they both should start and pitch at least three or four innings and maybe even more. They both need the work and neither opens in the tournament until the following Saturday plus it is for the district regular season championship. However, they could play it conservative and not "show" them just before the tournament. It will be very interesting to see what they both decide.

That's the big question of the day. I'm not sure how the coaches will handle it. I say they both should start and pitch at least three or four innings and maybe even more. They both need the work and neither opens in the tournament until the following Saturday plus it is for the district regular season championship. However, they could play it conservative and not "show" them just before the tournament. It will be very interesting to see what they both decide.

The tourney will be great. I would say 4-5 teams could win it. I too hate that it couldn't be held at Columbia St.

I just like many others won't be able to attend the Columbia games. They will, I think play the first game of each day for obvious reasons (lights). But, if you can't come because of work, be thankful in this economy you are working! I will be there to support ALL the other games.

The tourney will be great. I would say 4-5 teams could win it. I too hate that it couldn't be held at Columbia St.

I just like many others won't be able to attend the Columbia games. They will, I think play the first game of each day for obvious reasons (lights). But, if you can't come because of work, be thankful in this economy you are working! I will be there to support ALL the other games.

Please explain this post. Not sure I understand it. You said you will not be able to attend the Columbia games and then you said you will be there to support all the games. Also, what are you talking about with the first game of each day? That will have nothing to do with anything. Columbia does not have lights, so all games will be played in the afternoon. Please explain if you don't mind. Thanks.

I don't necessarily agree with all that. Shelbyville, Lincoln County, Tullahoma and Coffee County have very nice playing surfaces as well. Lawrence County and Franklin County, though, are atrocious surfaces....horrible hops and bad spots/patches everywhere. I have no problem with having it at Columbia, except I just wish they had lights...it just makes for a better atmosphere and obviously better game times on weekdays. Having bathrooms would be nice as well.

One other note, Coffee County and Columbia will each have hosted the tournament twice in the last 8 years. I think the other years were at Tullahoma. Lincoln County, Shelbyville, and Franklin County have been left out of the deal and have not hosted in forever, and each would be great hosts. Not sure this is fair, but maybe someone can explain. Not a huge deal, but I was just curious.

What time is the game at Columbia on Sunday?

It is at Shelbyville at 2:00

Please explain this post. Not sure I understand it. You said you will not be able to attend the Columbia games and then you said you will be there to support all the games. Also, what are you talking about with the first game of each day? That will have nothing to do with anything. Columbia does not have lights, so all games will be played in the afternoon. Please explain if you don't mind. Thanks.

He said he couldn't attend the Columbia games because they play 1st game.

He'll attend all the other games. Other being the key word.

i understand it. all you have to do is read the sentence. it states he will be there at ALL "other" games. problem solved. on the other post if they do it like volleyball does the regular season champion gets to host the tournament. maybe baseball does the same? when was the last time some of those mentioned won the regular season?

Tullahoma hosted in 2005 and 2006. There has always been an eastern bias with the tournament site. Franklin Co hosted in 99. Tullahoma in 2000 and Lincoln in 2001. Columbia was 2002. Coffee hosted in 2004. Lawrence has never hosted to my knowledge. It will now rotate alphabetically so everybody will have their chance. Also, lights don't add anything to an atmosphere, people do. The game times may be better for fans for them to be at night, but players and definately coaches would rather play early and get home at a decent hour. Columbia definately has the best surface. All of the opposing players and coaches will tell you the same thing. There really isn't one close.

I don't necessarily agree with all that. Shelbyville, Lincoln County, Tullahoma and Coffee County have very nice playing surfaces as well. Lawrence County and Franklin County, though, are atrocious surfaces....horrible hops and bad spots/patches everywhere. I have no problem with having it at Columbia, except I just wish they had lights...it just makes for a better atmosphere and obviously better game times on weekdays. Having bathrooms would be nice as well.

One other note, Coffee County and Columbia will each have hosted the tournament twice in the last 8 years. I think the other years were at Tullahoma. Lincoln County, Shelbyville, and Franklin County have been left out of the deal and have not hosted in forever, and each would be great hosts. Not sure this is fair, but maybe someone can explain. Not a huge deal, but I was just curious.

It is at Shelbyville at 2:00

Tullahoma hosted in 2005 and 2006. There has always been an eastern bias with the tournament site. Franklin Co hosted in 99. Tullahoma in 2000 and Lincoln in 2001. Columbia was 2002. Coffee hosted in 2004. Lawrence has never hosted to my knowledge. It will now rotate alphabetically so everybody will have their chance. Also, lights don't add anything to an atmosphere, people do. The game times may be better for fans for them to be at night, but players and definately coaches would rather play early and get home at a decent hour. Columbia definately has the best surface. All of the opposing players and coaches will tell you the same thing. There really isn't one close.

Coffee County did not host in 2004, Tullahoma did. Coffee County won the regular season and the tournament that year but agreed to let Tullahoma host because the city did all the field work for Tullahoma then. Coffee Co. hosted in 2003, but then it was the winner hosted the tournament. They just started the alphabetical rotation last season I belive.

What time is the game at Columbia on Sunday?

Sportsguy, I don't know how long its been since you have seen a game at Lawrence County, but I take exception to you saying its a terrible playing surface. This district is fortunate to have fine places to play at all 7 locations. I can't believe the District is being played at Columbia without lights. I wouldn't be surprised if it got changed since the plans were to play at Columbia State.

I take offense to "eastern bias". Second, coaches get paid to do a job, they are aware of the late nights going into it, don't even go there. Yes the field is awesome, but maybe we should play where the fans can enjoy the game as well and not have to worry about softballs hitting you in the back of the head. As far as the game times go it has to hurt the gate. Nevermind, obviously they are not concerned about money by the looks of everything around the field. This is the district tournament people! Shouldn't it be played where everybody can have the best of everyting?