TSSAA rules question

TrojanSportsFan

sorry, i must...irregardless is a word. american college dictionary. BUT, it says not generally regarded as good usage. and i won't call you dummy. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

"irregardless" is not a word.............Dummy /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, i must...irregardless is a word. american college dictionary. BUT, it says not generally regarded as good usage. and i won't call you dummy. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

He-He. Now it sound like "stlbrd" is da dummy. But he sho do speak wit good usage !!

Now dat was a joke dar "Birdman". /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Dis is fun. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

The TSSAA lays out strict restrictions on this subject. As long as the player is doing simple infield/outfield drills or hitting in a batting cage she should be ok as long as another player is not pitching to her. The high school coaches circulate the rumor because they don't want to risk forfeiting a game and it is easier to say the player can't practice with another team rather than explain the rule. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I disagree with your inturpretation sir....thats stretching the "game like" situation a Little FAAR!....Live pitching by another team mate is not a violation....

I disagree with your inturpretation sir....thats stretching the "game like" situation a Little FAAR!....Live pitching by another team mate is not a violation....

DUBC, I would just keep it simple. Why practice wit another team when da high school is still playin? There is way toooo much to lose if da rules catch you in somethin innocent.

But, even if yo intentions be innocent...you may still have to forfeit games. I would not split hairs on somethin this important.

I would "Let dat sleepin dog lay" !!!

Worst case, just ask your high school coach if it'd be O.K..

That way you got da "Monkey off yo back" ! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

DUBC, I would just keep it simple. Why practice wit another team when da high school is still playin? There is way toooo much to lose if da rules catch you in somethin innocent.

But, even if yo intentions be innocent...you may still have to forfeit games. I would not split hairs on somethin this important.

I would "Let dat sleepin dog lay" !!!

Worst case, just ask your high school coach if it'd be O.K..

That way you got da "Monkey off yo back" ! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Interesting post. The rules are clear, participation in non-game situations are allowed. The thing we must consider is if athletics is about the individual or the team. Unfortunately most emphasize the indivdual. Why would anyone with any character jeopardize the success of their team. If they are not part of the "team" they should not play high school ball. If they decide to play high school ball they should remain loyal to that commitment and not take the chance of causing their respective high school team the embarrasment of forfieting games already decided. Comes down to parenting if you ask me, self or others you decide what makes a better person in the long run.

A player cannot hit off of live pitching from any player outside of her team away from high school practice or a game. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Independent-Game Participation

Section 21. Once a student's name is listed on the school eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible as explained below.

Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate ??“ regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of the number of contests allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season.

A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal. After such a request has been filed with the state office, a student may then participate as an independent without penalty. If a principal requests the state office to remove a student's name from the school's eligibility list, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport.

This rule does not apply to bowling, golf, and tennis.

Page 15 April 30, 2009 2008-09 TSSAA Handbook

Specialized Camps

Section 22. All expenses of an athlete who attends any athletic camp where specialized instruction is offered in any sport sponsored by TSSAA must be paid by the athlete or his/her parents.

All-Star Games

Section 23 (a). No student shall be permitted to participate in an all-star game unless it is sanctioned by the TSSAA and unless he/she has completed high school eligibility in that sport; (

B) no individual player is allowed to participate in more than two sanctioned all-star contests during the school year; and © any student who fails to comply with the preceding requirements loses athletic eligibility for a period of time to be determined by the Board of Control. This rule reflects the present NCAA rule involving all-star games and is designed to parallel those regulations.

An all-star game is defined as any contest (where admission is charged either directly or indirectly) in which one or both teams is composed of players selected from two or more regularly constituted teams. This regulation does not apply to summer baseball and girls softball.

Any all-star game beginning after March 1, 1997, and involving TSSAA athletes must be sanctioned by the TSSAA. A filing fee of $250.00 is required for the game to be considered for sanctioning. If the game is approved then an additional approval fee of $750.00 is required. If the request is denied, then all fees shall be refunded. This fee is required for games involving groups not affiliated with the TSSAA and only upon initial application.

No member school shall permit use of its equipment, facilities, or of its employees, directly or indirectly, in the management, coaching, officiating, supervision, or promotion of player selection of any unsanctioned all-star team or contest during the school year.

Independent-Game Participation

Q. Team A is eliminated in the district basketball tournament. May players on Team A participate in an independent game or tournament without endangering their eligibility?

A. The basketball season ends for any member school when the school is eliminated from tournament play. Students may participate as members of independent teams in any sport after the season for that sport has closed without affecting their eligibility, provided the amateur rule is not violated.

Q. A golfer, tennis player, or bowler wishes to participate in a club tournament during the golf, tennis, or bowling season. Is this a violation of the independent rule?

A. No, provided the golfer, tennis player, or bowler participates as an individual and not as a member or representative of his/her school. The independent rule does not apply to golf, tennis, and bowling.

Q. May a player participate in a scrimmage, practice game or game with an independent team after being registered with TSSAA in that sport?

A. No. The student shall be ineligible immediately in the sport in which the violation occurs.

Q. Is it a violation for a registered athlete in baseball or softball to practice with an independent team?

A. No, provided he/she participates in practice situations only (batting practice, infield practice, etc.), provided no game situations are involved.

Q. Is it a violation for a registered athlete in track or cross country to participate in a road race?

A. No, provided the race is longer than 3200 meters during track season or longer than 5K (3.1 miles) during cross country season.

I can't find anywhere in the TSSAA handbook that says a player can not hit live pitching from anyone other than their high school teammates. Can you site that rule for us? I know teams have brought former players in to do live pitching for them during high school practice. By your rule, the entire team would then be in violation.

As an English teacher, I can tell you that it is, in fact, NOT a word. Just because something has become widely used does not make it a word. There are plenty of words in the dictionary now simply because their usage is widely spread. To prove my point (as someone who is 21 hours into my Ph.D. in Literacy) here is the definition:

irregardless--an erroneous word that, etymologically, means the exact opposite of what it is used to express, attested in non-standard writing from 1912, probably a blend of irrespective and regardless. Perhaps inspired by the double negative used as an emphatic.

NOW< CAN WE GET BACK TO SOFTBALL?