Dobyns Bennett Football History

Dobyns Bennett has had a long standing reputation as one of the top powerhouses in Tennessee High School Football. Between 1945 and 1960, DB was voted state champions 6 times.

However, since classification and TSSAA playoffs started in 1969, DB has never made an appearance in a football state championship game. This is true despite many outstanding regular season records and high rankings going into the playoffs.

What are some reasons for DB's continued lack of playoff success despite consistently maintaining a strong program?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dobyns Bennett has had a long standing reputation as one of the top powerhouses in Tennessee High School Football. Between 1945 and 1960, DB was voted state champions 6 times.

However, since classification and TSSAA playoffs started in 1969, DB has never made an appearance in a football state championship game. This is true despite many outstanding regular season records and high rankings going into the playoffs.

What are some reasons for DB's continued lack of playoff success despite consistently maintaining a strong program?

DB has made it to the semi -finals three times under the coaching staff that is in place,but the simple answer to winning it all for DB and most every other school is,it's hard week after week when the teams have all got talent and playing in a winner take all playoff.Players getting hurt,or teams that just matchup better with you are big factors as well.Sometimes being a little lucky can be the difference.Sometimes,like in the case with the great Tennessee High teams or Oak Ridge teams,that may have been the years DB was loaded but so was the other guys.Really,you could replace the name with many fine programs and their fans would be just as upset on many years that didn't end so well.DB fans can still take a lot of pride in winning more games than any other school in the state and be glad they were good enough to be picked state champs six times.I wished it would have been a vote last year,then the 2008 team would have made it seven.

In my opinion, i think it has alot to do with a weak schedule. I dont mean to offend anyone by saying this. Execept for playing Oak Ridge, DB hasnt usually played a very good team in the regular season. I know that South or Tennessee High has a pretty good team every now and then, but not the type of teams DB would have to beat to win a state championship. I think if DB starts to schedule better teams, it will help them get ready for the playoffs.

I'm sure this thread will bring out the debate teams from all over town!!!! It's all about talent one or two kids can't & won't win you a championship. Year in, Year Out, Our North East Tennessee Teams Just don't have the complete package to get the Gold Ball Back Home.

Talent + Expectations = Productivity,,, We year in year out have the talent & expectations and are very productive. All the while not adjusting our talent levels(IF WE EVEN HAVE THEM) to match up with playoff teams.

IMO

One & Done Ain't No Fun

I'm sure this thread will bring out the debate teams from all over town!!!! It's all about talent one or two kids can't & won't win you a championship. Year in, Year Out, Our North East Tennessee Teams Just don't have the complete package to get the Gold Ball Back Home.

Talent + Expectations = Productivity,,, We year in year out have the talent & expectations and are very productive. All the while not adjusting our talent levels(IF WE EVEN HAVE THEM) to match up with playoff teams.

IMO

One & Done Ain't No Fun

we don't have the talent year in and year out , how many D-1 players came fron NET. how many from Knox. Chatt. murf. Nash. Clarks. and Memphis . Maryville is going to find out ,moving up. all new game. big city talent dominates.

we don't have the talent year in and year out , how many D-1 players came fron NET. how many from Knox. Chatt. murf. Nash. Clarks. and Memphis . Maryville is going to find out ,moving up. all new game. big city talent dominates.

My prediction is ...........Maryville wins the 6A championship 2 out of the next 3 years.

You answered your own question in your second sentence in that they were "VOTED" instead of WINNING it six times!

Maryville IS the powerhouse of east Tn. Will be interesting to see how it plays out if they play each other.

My prediction is ...........Maryville wins the 6A championship 2 out of the next 3 years.

sorry waco your wrong on this one ,Memphis is going to open enrollement to save the stars from going to private schools. MUS had the best highschool program in Tn. last year. some of those kids will go to public schools. Oakland is always loaded , franklin which beat hillsboro is pretty good, i think Maryville might win 1 next 5 to 10 years

sorry waco your wrong on this one ,Memphis is going to open enrollement to save the stars from going to private schools. MUS had the best highschool program in Tn. last year. some of those kids will go to public schools. Oakland is always loaded , franklin which beat hillsboro is pretty good, i think Maryville might win 1 next 5 to 10 years

I agree Memphis. I think the Maryville dynasty as we have seen it is over. I'm not saying they won't be very competitive. I'm sure they will be. But I think these long winning streaks of consecutive state championships is over.

• Like 1

You answered your own question in your second sentence in that they were "VOTED" instead of WINNING it six times!

Maryville IS the powerhouse of east Tn. Will be interesting to see how it plays out if they play each other.

To be completely fair, nobody really knows how many championships DB would have won if it had been played on the field. But at the same time, detractors can't blame the players or the school for those championships either. I'm sure those teams would have liked to have settled it on the field. It wasn't their fault that there was not a playoff system in place before 1969. It's kinda like saying that all the college football national championships voted on by the media (AP and UPI) before their was a BCS were not valid either. Are you trying to say that national championships like UT, Alabama, Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Oklahoma were all illegitimate before 1998? That too would be silly.

I think it is interesting how many opinions there are as to whom will be good or why D-B hasn't won it all and yet those who want to down D-B for having won the state titles they have won as somehow the titles aren't legit because they were chosen by the opinions of the voters...???...opinions are like something else that everyone has - it is an old saying...

D-B hasn't won, because they were beaten and or lost - outcoached, outplayed, outprepared, weathered...whatever...in that given game...a play brokedown...a bad play was called...an official blew a call...a pass was dropped...a tackle missed... a turnover happened because an opponent made a play...a monsoon hit...but regardless, the Indians were there...and South and Science Hill fans, they were still beating your team...and Knoxville area teams - Bearden, Karns, South-Doyle, Blount, Heritage, Mo East, Jeff County, Sevier County, and all the other Big East Conference teams - D-B has a winning record against you, as well...and Oak Ridge, D-B has a Coach Clark winning record against you, too...but no state title...the Tribe have an even record against MBA, winning record against Red Bank...and everybody else they have played...

regular season opponents don't matter in the playoffs...it comes down to that game and a variety of issues decide a game...but again, for the Indians there is a proven track record of being in the playoffs...

and just to add to the mix - in basketball D-B has the most state tournament appearances, wins, and losses...nope, no state titles...but a real chance virtually every year...everyone says that; D-B lives it...and earns it...in all sports

Roll Tribe Roll