Private Schools Recruit... Well Duh.

wareagle41

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Too many of these private school "people" use the argument that their schools don't recruit because they don't "offer athletic scholarships." That is not the only way to recruit.

If a private school contacts a student-athlete and waives their application fees and process to get them in, that is illegal. When student-athletes do not have to pay tuition, that is illegal.

I have seen this happen in a prominent East Tennessee private school and I am sure it happens all over the state. Does it happen with every single athlete on every sports team? No. But that is not the point.

The point is that it's illegal and T$$AA continues to allow it to happen. Do these schools get preferential treatment? Do the powers that be turn their heads because 80% of their children attend private schools? I'd say yes.

Private schools have an unfair competitive advantage over public's. It is as simple as that.

If my child was offered to go to a private, christian institution and guaranteed a better education and coaching from higher quality coaches because they are able to pay their coaches more, AND at no charge, I believe it would be hard to say no.

My point is that it is not right to pay thousands of dollars to a gifted athlete to play sports for a high school team. It ruins everything high school sports is about. Leave the soliciting, recruting, scholarships, etc. to the colleges and keep high school sports as pure as we can. These kids only get to experience high school sports once in their lifetime. Too many people involved in it nowadays. Coaches, AD's, principals, boosters, etc.

You have a right to your opinion...which is EXACTLY what this is. But you have to acknowledge that you have made a decision that it's okay to provide a free education (scholarship) at the college level but not the high school level. This is a totally arbitrary position to take. Why is it okay at one level and not the other? Couldn't I argue just as strongly that college athletes should be in it solely for the love of the game? And that only when an athlete becomes a professional is it okay to pay him or provide something free? And as has already been mentioned, public school education is free. If a school can raise the money and meet it's other obligations, why can't they provide a free education in a private school? We teach kids all through high school to work hard to get their college education paid for. What is magic about graduating from high school that makes it okay?

This is all rooted in jealousy. Maybe if I was on your side of the argument, I might feel differently. But I attended public and private schools. My kids have both attended private by MY CHOICE and with MY MONEY...NO SCHOLARSHIPS. By the way I pay several thousand dollars in property taxes so your kids can have free education. And sometimes they even get free lunches, if they really need it. No thanks is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a right to your opinion...which is EXACTLY what this is. But you have to acknowledge that you have made a decision that it's okay to provide a free education (scholarship) at the college level but not the high school level. This is a totally arbitrary position to take. Why is it okay at one level and not the other? Couldn't I argue just as strongly that college athletes should be in it solely for the love of the game? And that only when an athlete becomes a professional is it okay to pay him or provide something free? And as has already been mentioned, public school education is free. If a school can raise the money and meet it's other obligations, why can't they provide a free education in a private school? We teach kids all through high school to work hard to get their college education paid for. What is magic about graduating from high school that makes it okay?

This is all rooted in jealousy. Maybe if I was on your side of the argument, I might feel differently. But I attended public and private schools. My kids have both attended private by MY CHOICE and with MY MONEY...NO SCHOLARSHIPS. By the way I pay several thousand dollars in property taxes so your kids can have free education. And sometimes they even get free lunches, if they really need it. No thanks is necessary.

I pay several thousand dollars in property taxes so YOUR kids can have a FREE education as well, but you CHOOSE not to take advantage. Why is that? My child attends public school , I pay my taxes, and I PAY full price for their lunch everyday...no thanks necessary! By the way if your kids were better athletes or a little smarter maybe you wouldn't have to pay with YOUR money for them to go to private school. If they werent spoiled brats and felt like or were taught thayt they were better than public school kids who eat free lunch then YOUR tax dollars would be all you spent and they could attend public school for FREE!

• Upvote 1