Why are players required to ride on team bus but Head Coach Don't

shortman

Only because I am try to learn something, why would you wnat to know the answer to this question? I have heard the question before.

Since you have heard this before, then your answer is yes. If she gets the extra pay as head coach she should get the responsibility. If this is a required rule then the coach should enforce it by being an example of the rule.

What team is this,and do you have other issues (playing time, player getting yelled at, etc) that are also stressing you?

You should feel lucky a bus is transporting the players, many teams don't have that and it's just another thing coaches have to be concerned over. If a parent taking players is late, has a flat tire, anything, a line-up might be short come game time.

As for not taking the bus herself, maybe she wants last minute quiet time to think about game prep. Have you asked, or do you think it would help the team more to get on here complaining and letting every other program know you're dissatisfied with such a trivial matter?

This sounds like a complaint that may stem from another issue. Possibly some of the above mentioned (playing time, coach yelling, etc.) While I do think it is a good idea for a coach to set good examples of behavior, I'm not sure this is a big deal. If a player is going to buck up over riding the bus then there are bigger issues. Of course there are always situations in which a player might not ride the bus, I think the general practice should be that they do. One of the big reasons I believe so is because it's hard for a team to get their mind right if they aren't together..another big reason is ESPECIALLY after a game players ride home with parents and often times hear a lot of negativity and it bleeds into the team via that player's attitude. It is only natural for a parent to console their child when they are upset about a thing, but that gives a player time to "wallow" in their self pity instead of looking forward to the next game or practice...This is just my humble opinion of the matter. As for the coach not riding the bus, that is purely a "do as I say, not as I do" prerogative that a coach has earned by becoming a head coach. As an educator I may chew gum in my class while my students can't, that's a privilege I have earned by going through the same things they are and getting a degree, It's called coming to a position of power. Young people need examples of grown up privileges that are off limits until they achieve a certain station just as they need examples of what TO do. This idea that one person should be able to do a thing simply because the other one may is rediculous. They have to learn about priviliges exactly the same way they have to learn about boundaries. My guess is that this player has bigger fish to fry than whether or not they ride the bus to or from games.......

Edited by oldschoolhoops

Personally I believe that the coach SHOULD be on the bus - required or not. I feel that for a team to be successful their coach should promote the TEAM concept, and to me part of that would include arriving to the game as a team.

In reply to another post - I too am an educator, & our school has a dress code as well as a 'no gum' policy. Several of my colleagues do chew gum and some do not participate in the dress code. Though I understand the 'I have earned it,' and 'we are not equals' concept, I feel that I can relate better with my students if I myself do NOT chew gum in class and do adhere to the dress code.

All of these things are great answers and some I have heard and one or two I haven't. Didn't hear the insurance issue though and the fact the students and/or the coaches are asked to pay for their own insurance. Trying to pull that one out but evidently that is not an issue.

Another issue as far as insurance is the Coach has small children whose kids are not covered by insurance if they ride with the coach. so the coach rides in a car with an asst coach driving the bus. How about that?

Personally I believe that the coach SHOULD be on the bus - required or not. I feel that for a team to be successful their coach should promote the TEAM concept, and to me part of that would include arriving to the game as a team.

In reply to another post - I too am an educator, & our school has a dress code as well as a 'no gum' policy. Several of my colleagues do chew gum and some do not participate in the dress code. Though I understand the 'I have earned it,' and 'we are not equals' concept, I feel that I can relate better with my students if I myself do NOT chew gum in class and do adhere to the dress code.

I should definitely add to my previous post that I too think the coach SHOULD ride the bus...as they are part of the team too, I guess the point I was trying to make was that if a player has an issue with something like that, there is probably something more going on...Even when I was playing college hoops there were times (although few) that our coach did not ride the bus with us. But, I was fortunate enough to be on a team where we all worked hard together for a common goal and we understood things like that, and we certainly didn't waste valuable time worrying about who was riding the bus home or not..almost without exception we ALL rode the bus TO the games...