A Christian Wrestler's Prayer

shootthehalf

I have coached for 37 years and I have not had a Jewish or Muslim wrestler. If I ever have one I will encourage him to prepare himself before a match that is consistant with his faith. But I would want him to get himself prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually before every match. I wrote the prayer for my Christian wrestlers as the title implies "A Christian Wrestler's Prayer" it was meant to give them a idea of what a wrestlers prayer should be about in getting prepared spiritually for a match. I posted it here to get ideas about what other coaches, wrestlers, parents pray before a wrestling match. I had the idea that if I got enough response that I would have my wrestler do something like what the St. Ed's team did in Ohio several years ago in compiling their book "The Edge". It was a compiling of quotes and sayings they had gotten by writing to and asking very successful,famous people about their favorite quotes or saying that they though had help inspire them to be successful. I though it might be good to compile a book of prayers from successfule, famous peole that they though had help them become successful. I didn't know that the "politically correct" police would come out of the woodwork!

I am begining to believe that President Obama might be on to something when he said that America was no longer a Christian nation. I pray that he isn't correct! I guess I am not "Politically Correct" enough for some people but I think we have taken "political correctness" way to far! The post was not meant to offend anyone it was just to see if other wrestler, coaches, parents had a special prayer they prayed before matches that is all. I didn't think my sharing my prayer would be something that others would find fault it!

I realize the title wasn't 'A Jewish Wrestlers Prayer' or 'A Muslim Wrestlers Prayer',,,,I went to a Christian College so I got that part before you placed it in bold letters,,,and by no means was I offended,,,,I'm sure a family that has different beliefs might be though,,,,but that's what makes this country great and why I spent over 25 years defending it,,,we have the freedom to pray to whomever or not pray at all. You answered my question,,,thanks

CC,,,sends...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fine:::::

"Dear Lord, in the struggle that goes on through life

We ask for a field that is fair,

A chance that is equal with all the strife,

The courage to strive and to dare;

And if we should win, let it be by the code,

With our faith and our honor held high;

And if we should lose, let us stand by the road

And cheer as the winners go by.â€

another good one:

"Dear Commander at the Roman Emperor's court, you chose to be also a soldier of Christ and dared to spread faith in the King of Kings, for which you were condemned to die. Your body, however, proved athletically strong and the executing arrows extremely weak. So another means to kill you was chosen and you gave your life to the Lord. May athletes be always as strong in their faith as their Patron Saint so clearly has been. Amen."

one more...just for fun:

"Help me play the game, dear Lord, with all my might and main;

Grant me the courage born of right, a heart to stand the strain...

Send me a sense of humor, Lord, to laugh when victory's mine'

When silence or some other thing wins plaudits from the throng...

When foes are tough and fighting fierce and I am getting weak,

Dear God, don't ever let me show a broad, bright, yellow streak.

And teach me, Lord, life's game to play just one day at a time.

With Thee as coach and trainer, Lord, real victory must be mine."

Thanks, for the prayers. Are they original or did you get from someone else. You have quotation marks and didn't give anyone credit for the prayer. I like the prayers they seem that they could be used for a lot of competitive sports. I also coach football. Bear Byrant used to carry a poem with him that was similar to these and I enjoyed reading his. I appreciate your sharing. I should have started with asking about a prayer or a poem that coaches, wrestler, parent used to inspire them before matches.

I realize the title wasn't 'A Jewish Wrestlers Prayer' or 'A Muslim Wrestlers Prayer',,,,I went to a Christian College so I got that part before you placed it in bold letters,,,and by no means was I offended,,,,I'm sure a family that has different beliefs might be though,,,,but that's what makes this country great and why I spent over 25 years defending it,,,we have the freedom to pray to whomever or not pray at all. You answered my question,,,thanks

CC,,,sends...

I am also a vet that served in Japan during the late 60's. I remember how when I returned from the war how everyone was against the millitary and those of us that served. I defended their freedom to not support us. If they had seen what I saw at the base hospital of the cost of the war to those young men I don't believe they would have been as they were. I will always have a special place in my heart for those that answer their countries call. But I still believe that we have gone over the top with "political correctness". When I started coaching I can remember when it was expected for the coaches to lead their teams is prayer before contests. I also remember the day that my principal told us coaches we could no longer pray with our athletes. I felt like I had served my country in vain. Back then most coaches coached because they felt like they owed it to their coach to help and inspire others as their coach had helped and inspired them. I look back over the past 37 years and I have a problem with the some of the changes that has taken place.

As a wrestler reading this it realy moved me i am not the most christian person but i do believe and i try my best to pray before every match reading this this morning before i wrestled really gave me a push today and made me think about how lucky i am to have the privilege of beig abel to wrestle and compete this prayer gets me thinking mot about myself but all the others that help make wrestling possible ie the coaches refs and the tssaa officials without yall there wouldnt be a sport this humbels me and makes me so thankful for all them i want to thank everyone who has a part in wrestling i hope other wrestlers read this an they take it to heart

Merry chrustmas guys

Thanks for your reply. I hope that you will continue to understand that wrestling has really grown over the past 40 years in Tennessee. A lot of people put a lot of time and energy in to help the entire sport to get better. Better officials, coaches, trainers, refs, and this has helped our state to have better wrestlers that can compete with anyone in the country! I am so proud of the advancement our sport has had over the years! Good luck to you the rest of the year and I pray that you stay injury free!