A Christian Wrestler's Prayer

shootthehalf

Guys this is a pray that I wrote for my wrestlers several years ago and gave it to them and their parents trying to help them to appreciate the referee's and the coaches both for there kids and the opposing coaches also. Do any of you have a favorite pray for wrestlers? I am interesting in prayers that either the wrestlers or coaching use.

A Christian Wrestler’s Prayer

Thy most gracious heavenly Father,

Hallow be thy name,

Help me to use the moves that I have been taught

At the most appropriate times.

Help me to listen to the knowledge and instructions

that my coaches give me before and during the match.

Help me to use my talents and skills to Your Honor and Glory

Help me to fight as hard at the end of the match as I do at the beginning

No matter what the score!

Help me to always be thankful for the Referee keeping me safe,

Help me to accept his calls even if I don’t agree with all of them,

Help me to accept his authority over the match as

I accept the authority of Jesus Christ over my life

Help me to be Humble in Victory

And Gracious in defeat.

I ask this in the name of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is way over the top...but to each his own I guess.

Putting the ref's authority in direct correlation with God's authority in a young man's life........

reminds me of the man in the movie "The Natural"....."Losing is a disease, as contagious as bubonic plague."

btw... the 1 anonymous user we always see is texas23... has anyone ever noticed he never appears at the list below? :ph34r:

Guys this is a pray that I wrote for my wrestlers several years ago and gave it to them and their parents trying to help them to appreciate the referee's and the coaches both for there kids and the opposing coaches also. Do any of you have a favorite pray for wrestlers? I am interesting in prayers that either the wrestlers or coaching use.

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

Thanks Coach!!!!

• Upvote 1

I think this is way over the top...but to each his own I guess.

Putting the ref's authority in direct correlation with God's authority in a young man's life........

reminds me of the man in the movie "The Natural"....."Losing is a disease, as contagious as bubonic plague."

It's obvious that you don’t coach or deal with very many intercity wrestlers. The main thing I want them to do is learn to respect the authority that other people have in their lives i.e., teachers, coaches, principals, Police officers, Judges, and yes Referees,ECT.

A lot of our youth today don't respect the authority of anyone much less that of Jesus Christ! If your one that is fortunate enough not to have to work with these kids then it probably is "over the top". Most of us that coach these kids try to help them realize that there are other people in their lives that they should respect and understand that they do have authority over them in different situations.

Sorry if I touched a nerve! Most people don't understand how difficult it is to be a wrestling referee. His first job is to keep the wrestlers safe and then keep up with the points scored. They deserve a LOT of RESPECT from all of us coaches, wrestler, parents and just fans. Being a wrestling referee can be a thankless job in a lot of places.

As a coach and a wrestler’s parent I have had to teach myself to respect and understand that he is the final authority concerning the match! I was not putting a referee as an equal to Jesus Christ but I was drawing a parallel to the other people in our lives that have authority in our lives. We have way too many people today that don’t respect the authority of Jesus Christ or anyone else!

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

I always say the same words prior to each of my son's matches:

Dear God, please, keep him safe. Guide him to be smart, wrestle strong and if it is your will, a win.

It's obvious that you don’t coach or deal with very many intercity wrestlers. The main thing I want them to do is learn to respect the authority that other people have in their lives i.e., teachers, coaches, principals, Police officers, Judges, and yes Referees,ECT.

A lot of our youth today don't respect the authority of anyone much less that of Jesus Christ! If your one that is fortunate enough not to have to work with these kids then it probably is "over the top". Most of us that coach these kids try to help them realize that there are other people in their lives that they should respect and understand that they do have authority over them in different situations.

Sorry if I touched a nerve! Most people don't understand how difficult it is to be a wrestling referee. His first job is to keep the wrestlers safe and then keep up with the points scored. They deserve a LOT of RESPECT from all of us coaches, wrestler, parents and just fans. Being a wrestling referee can be a thankless job in a lot of places.

As a coach and a wrestler’s parent I have had to teach myself to respect and understand that he is the final authority concerning the match! I was not putting a referee as an equal to Jesus Christ but I was drawing a parallel to the other people in our lives that have authority in our lives. We have way too many people today that don’t respect the authority of Jesus Christ or anyone else!

You are right, I do not coach intercity kids. It was not really stated in you first post, so I am not sure how I would know that.

You may be right about the lack of respect that your group does not have, I am not sure. I wonder if they do not have respect for Jesus and his authority over them, how much a prayer really transitions them from non-believer to believer. Seems to me that for the prayer to be effective, those praying should be Christians to begin with. Maybe they are of another faith? Maybe, no Faith.

My personal preference is that coaches teach their sport and leave the religion to the family.

You are right, I do not coach intercity kids. It was not really stated in you first post, so I am not sure how I would know that.

You may be right about the lack of respect that your group does not have, I am not sure. I wonder if they do not have respect for Jesus and his authority over them, how much a prayer really transitions them from non-believer to believer. Seems to me that for the prayer to be effective, those praying should be Christians to begin with. Maybe they are of another faith? Maybe, no Faith.

My personal preference is that coaches teach their sport and leave the religion to the family.

The title of the prayer is “A Christian Wrestler’s Prayerâ€. Being a Christian and a wrestler is very compatible. The prayer is not for a win! It is for “Help†in doing, in following, in being thankful, in accepting, in understanding, in being humble, and in being gracious!

These are attributes that I hope I have instilled in my children and also in the athletes that I have coached. I also hope that I have let them all know we all need help at times during our lives.

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

Do you have any Jewish or Muslim kids on your team?(for example)

Hallow be thy name,

And Gracious in defeat.

Amen

Coach Doug Newman

As a wrestler reading this it realy moved me i am not the most christian person but i do believe and i try my best to pray before every match reading this this morning before i wrestled really gave me a push today and made me think about how lucky i am to have the privilege of beig abel to wrestle and compete this prayer gets me thinking mot about myself but all the others that help make wrestling possible ie the coaches refs and the tssaa officials without yall there wouldnt be a sport this humbels me and makes me so thankful for all them i want to thank everyone who has a part in wrestling i hope other wrestlers read this an they take it to heart

Merry chrustmas guys

Do you have any Jewish or Muslim kids on your team?(for example)

I have coached for 37 years and I have not had a Jewish or Muslim wrestler. If I ever have one I will encourage him to prepare himself before a match that is consistant with his faith. But I would want him to get himself prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually before every match. I wrote the prayer for my Christian wrestlers as the title implies "A Christian Wrestler's Prayer" it was meant to give them a idea of what a wrestlers prayer should be about in getting prepared spiritually for a match. I posted it here to get ideas about what other coaches, wrestlers, parents pray before a wrestling match. I had the idea that if I got enough response that I would have my wrestler do something like what the St. Ed's team did in Ohio several years ago in compiling their book "The Edge". It was a compiling of quotes and sayings they had gotten by writing to and asking very successful,famous people about their favorite quotes or saying that they though had help inspire them to be successful. I though it might be good to compile a book of prayers from successfule, famous peole that they though had help them become successful. I didn't know that the "politically correct" police would come out of the woodwork!

I am begining to believe that President Obama might be on to something when he said that America was no longer a Christian nation. I pray that he isn't correct! I guess I am not "Politically Correct" enough for some people but I think we have taken "political correctness" way to far! The post was not meant to offend anyone it was just to see if other wrestler, coaches, parents had a special prayer they prayed before matches that is all. I didn't think my sharing my prayer would be something that others would find fault it!

fine:::::

"Dear Lord, in the struggle that goes on through life

We ask for a field that is fair,

A chance that is equal with all the strife,

The courage to strive and to dare;

And if we should win, let it be by the code,

With our faith and our honor held high;

And if we should lose, let us stand by the road

And cheer as the winners go by.â€

another good one:

"Dear Commander at the Roman Emperor's court, you chose to be also a soldier of Christ and dared to spread faith in the King of Kings, for which you were condemned to die. Your body, however, proved athletically strong and the executing arrows extremely weak. So another means to kill you was chosen and you gave your life to the Lord. May athletes be always as strong in their faith as their Patron Saint so clearly has been. Amen."

one more...just for fun:

"Help me play the game, dear Lord, with all my might and main;

Grant me the courage born of right, a heart to stand the strain...

Send me a sense of humor, Lord, to laugh when victory's mine'

When silence or some other thing wins plaudits from the throng...

When foes are tough and fighting fierce and I am getting weak,

Dear God, don't ever let me show a broad, bright, yellow streak.

And teach me, Lord, life's game to play just one day at a time.

With Thee as coach and trainer, Lord, real victory must be mine."

Edited by texas23