TSSAA Volleyball Format is a JOKE

Expectus

I just have to say that this Volleyball format, which is made up of double elimination/single elimination, is a JOKE!!!! I can not believe that the AD's of the Schools in TN have not demanded this to change. How in the world do you have part of the Tournament double elimination and then the finals single elimination. I don't care what you say, there is no justifiable answer for this MORONIC system! None!! Oh I get it. Kind of like the "distribution of wealth" notion. The winners bracket champion works their "you know what" off to win EVERY game and the others loose but thats ok...No worries to the losers. Once you get to the championship you only have to beat the winners once, even though they already beat you once. Hey winners, that's what you get for winning all your games.... NOTHING. Who is the person at TSSAA that thinks this is fair??? I cannot believe that the coaches and AD's put up with this system. This would never fly in a state that is highly competitive!!!! Let's just all play upwards volleyball and crown everyone a winner.

1. It's the same way in baseball. I see it being pretty fair. The championship game should be all or nothing. You better bring your A game

There is NO way that is fair!!! Fair for who? I don't care how they format the tournament as long as its the same way all the way through. Either double elimination or Single. There is No way it can be fair if part is one way then they switch to another. That's hilarious. There is NO argument that can be said for this format to be fare unless you think "distribution of success' is fair. Oh and by the way. My team is Bearden and we would have been in the loser's bracket. So this is not coming from a winner's bracket champion. This format is embarrassing. Every game in the tournament should be "all or nothing"!! This is the Final 8!!!

Edited by bigredbuck

I have never liked it but understand the reasoning. It is two brackets and the winners of each bracket square off in the championship. I think it started because of TV and internet coverage. This way you have a one-game final, instead of a possible two, which is easy to schedule. The fact that the champion and runner-up can both have one loss has always been a tough thing for me to like.

I have never liked it but understand the reasoning. It is two brackets and the winners of each bracket square off in the championship. I think it started because of TV and internet coverage. This way you have a one-game final, instead of a possible two, which is easy to schedule. The fact that the champion and runner-up can both have one loss has always been a tough thing for me to like.

You are absolutley right. If TV and time is a problem then make the darn thing single elimination. That's the norm all over the country. Either one or the other.

If the loser bracket comes back to win the Championship Match, the winners bracket is cheated. Why not just have a 1 set final to 15 to determine the Overall Champ. Doesn't take the time if that is what they are worried about but makes it fair for the winner bracket champ. This at least evens the score!!!!!!

I'm not saying that it is fair. Just in the grand scheme of things is it important? It is a game, the format is set, everybody knows the format, move on. It won't be the most unfair thing that happens in the athlete's lives, guaranteed.

Oh shoot. I thought this was the #1 most important thing that would ever happen in a volleyball players life..That's why I started the post!

Now back to reality. This is a message board, put together to talk about TN sports and discuss different topics. If we only bring up topics that are Important in the "grand scheme of things" then lets call this board "how to get to heaven".

Come on. This message board is awesome!! It gives people a way to chat about things that really don't mean much in the "grand scheme of things". Have fun with it. Oh and btw..If it's not a fair system then let's fix it..

Ok then. In my opinion the format is great. Not saying fair, but I like it. Wouldn't change it if I were coaching or playing. As long as I knew the format going in I would be fine with it.

Question for you babyengineer...If you were asked to run the largest tournament in the state for (lets say) volleyball. It's the first time ever. You get to pick how to format it. How would YOU format the tournament and why. The tournament consist of 8 teams that have made their way through to the state finals.