Mid-state volleyball

Pats2011

As a volleyball fan and Oakland grad (yes I'm aware that we're very bad), I'd love to hear what yall think about who the teams to beat in the mid-state this year are and what players to watch out for. I got to see Riverdale play a couple nights ago, and was VERY impressed with the sets coming from Kirsten Inman. I've been out of the loop for a few years, so how does Riverdale stack up to other teams? The last time I kept up with it, Chelsea Ross was there, and they were a very good team. Curious to hear how yall think they measure up this year.

Not meant to be a comprehensive analysis, but I am sharing just what I have seen/heard in play days and 1st week of the season.  It would be great to get others' take on the mid-state.  Here is my summary of the mid-state:

AAA

Riverdale, Blackman, and Siegel will be strong in their district.  Siegel looks to be the strongest, but rivalries can be an equalizer. 

In 11-AAA, Ravenwood and Brentwood look to be frontrunners since they played in the state championship last year, and neither team lost much due to graduation.  Centennial, who lost to Ravenwood by a couple of points in 5 sets in district tourney last year, should be tough in that district too with a good core of last year's team back and adding some up-and-comers.

AA

Hume-Fogg looks like they will be tough this year.  They have height and are athletic.  They have hopes of avenging a sub state loss at Page last year.  CPA and Page are now in the same district, but their district does not have many schools that have volleyball teams, and the ones that do are not very good.  Both of these schools should at least get to regionals and sub state.

A

Goodpasture won AA state championship last year.  They are A this year with a veteran team and look to be very tough for A teams to beat.  I have not seen Loretto play this year, but they have beaten Nashville Christian the last 2 years in the sub state, so I would guess both of these teams could be in the mix.

Blackman and siegel are the more dominant teams, riverdale, even though, strong, will not be able to sustain a good level of playing.  especially by the helm of Jerry.  His leadership is weak, and has a really bad rotation with these girls.  heard that he was leaving this year.  that will be a good thing in the future fo those lady warriors.

Blackman and siegel are the more dominant teams, riverdale, even though, strong, will not be able to sustain a good level of playing.  especially by the helm of Jerry.  His leadership is weak, and has a really bad rotation with these girls.  heard that he was leaving this year.  that will be a good thing in the future fo those lady warriors.

Interesting because he is highly thought of in Club. So much so that his entire 15 team followed him from one club to the other to be a satellite 16 team.

From the talk I've heard, Siegel is the team to beat, but i think it'll be fun watching those two fight it out. Riverdale seemingly has a lot of talent, but I haven't heard many positive things about their coach...

Interesting because he is highly thought of in Club. So much so that his entire 15 team followed him from one club to the other to be a satellite 16 team.

there was an alterior motive for that situation.  he wanted all his reiverdale girls to stay together to become stronger for the school year.  has nothing to do with him being a good coach.  right now, the girls seem off balance, and Jerry can't seem to get their act together.  what does that tell you?  i can not wait to see them play my team (blackman) next week.  should be interesting. 

there was an alterior motive for that situation.  he wanted all his reiverdale girls to stay together to become stronger for the school year.  has nothing to do with him being a good coach.  right now, the girls seem off balance, and Jerry can't seem to get their act together.  what does that tell you?  i can not wait to see them play my team (blackman) next week.  should be interesting. 

I echo what vbdad said. He is not allowed to coach his Riverdale girls in club. There was definitely a Ravenwood player and a Summit player on that team. It had more to do with "alliances" to certain individuals and his desire not to drive to Cool Springs three times a week.

I don't understand why you would get on Jerry... He is  great guy who knows volleyball and his players love him... what else would you want from a volunteer coach who has 4 boys playing other sports while he continues to help out kids who need  coaching... get off his case... totally unfounded and totally wrong...

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

totally your opinion, and i believe i am allowed to have mine.  He totally lost my respect when he gave up on his girls during district tournament and put JV players in.  What was that suppose to prove.  There was a varstiy player sitting on the bench who never went in.  why play a JV player over a varsity.  besides the point that he sat on his butt and poutted like a baby.  Not all the girls like him or his coaching abilities.  Looking forward to seeing siegel play Thursday night.  Good luck ladies.  Also, I would like to say a special "great effort" on behalf of the Riverdale team.  they worked hard.  I noticed some worked harder than others, but it was a great effort.