Early Bird Tournament OR.

EBTHER

Big Blue, I have a question. Your coach, and the CAK coach are both heavily involved in club. Both probably make 20 times their high school salary in the clubs they help run.

Do you think that they make decisions coaching the high school team that are driven by keeping the parents of the club players happy? If so, should a high school coach be allowed to not only coach, but profit share in a club?

Wow..Great question! I didn't know CAK's coach help run a club, but our RUNS a club. Yes her decisions are made by what best helps her club. There is no doubt about it. The high School coaches should not be running clubs. It puts them in a bad situation. Unfortunatley money talks in most cases and, while we all want to think it doesn't make decisions for us, it really does.

I love our coach, but she is getting back involved in club. We just found out she is going to work with the CAK and Bearden coach with the new KBA club. This causes us some concern. I trust her, but my concern is what if a situation like what is happening at CAK comes up, where parents get to pick what position their daughter gets to play? Obviously this is not the best thing for CAK, and the team is affected by it, but if a coach has financial ties to the club you know where their loyalty lies. I don't think it's fair.

I believe our coach would do the right thing, but I look at Karns, Webb, Bearden and CAK and it is hurting the school team.

Look at CAK. Last year they had a great asst . who also coached at Phoneix Rising. When they formed the new club, KBA, she gets dismissed and they bring in assistants who work for KBA!

Big Blue, what percent of Karns players play at PR? I bet all of CAK and Beardens players will be directed toward KBA like Webbs go to K2.

As a parent do you think this is fair?

Wow, back off the CAK coach.  He does a great job.  Also, I'm going to refer to the "big girl" as #5, I'm sure she'd appreciate that more.  She's a great right side and if she were on my team, I'd play her there too.  High school ball is dominated by the outsides and any coach with a brain would put her on the right side.  She's much, much better on the right side than she is the middle. There, I've voiced my opinion you all can go back to trashing coaches and other teams.

No trashing. I have been vocal in my support for CAK and their coach all season. But, she played middle her entire career until this season, and moved only after her parents got involved.

EHS, do you pick the position where the player plays, or does the coach?

Also, do you think coaches should be allowed to own clubs and make their high school players pay to play for a club they are financially invested in?

Ehs....This is a message board where peolpe can voice their opinions. No one is trashing any coach (except me). Thanks for giving us uour opinion. I love hearing EVERYONE'S thoughts. This is a great board and most everyone feels the same way. We voice our opinions and listen to others. If you're truly a coach good luck in your season. Hope you win them all.

So Orcat you know #5s parents well enough to make that statement? That the parents made the decision for her to play right side instead of middle. Couldnt possisbly be the players decision could it? The same player that could have stayed away from volleyball altogether and had her pick of basketball scholarships to any school she wanted but chose to play volleyball and the not so popular position of right side. What crazy person would make that decision for there child. I know the girl and her family. I ve heard it from her own mouth that she wants to learn all positions (except setter). Wouldnt suprise me to see her on the back row sometime this year. If you were a coach with a player that had that much heart and drive for the sport and wanted to learn as much as she could. Would you hold her back for the sake of the "team"? Im glad you support our team but you should not jump to conclusions when you don't know the facts.

I love this player! Read my posts on other threads, I have defended her and think she is the most physically dominant player in east tenn. I wish we had her.

I don't know her parents, I was repeating a statement from another poster that the reason she wasnt playing middle was that her family wanted her to play right side because that is what she will play in college. I have picked CAK as the best team in knoxville. Look at the other threads. You have more size and talent than any team in east tenn, including south. No one should beat you, certainly not Webb or Baylor!

I disagree that in high school you get more from a six six upper classmen by player in her right side. You can do so much more offensively in the middle and a player that big takes away the cross court shot from the outside. You said you had two tall younger players, that makes more sense to put them right side.

I believe this is a bad coaching move, that's just my opinion. This young coach seems like a really nice guy, he seems to work hard, and is learning. I still think this is a big mistake, but if he wants to do it that's ok. When I coached club I made lots of mistakes and more experienced coaches would point them out. That's how we learn.

Now back to my question. Is your coach promoting KBA? He is on their web site and is doing clinics. Do you think that is appropriate? Our coach is doing it to for KBA and I don't know how I feel about that.

Big Blue has referenced that her coach does it for a club she owns and promotes that club.

I want my high school coach to do what is best for my school, and not use her job as coach to recruit players to her club.

Do you agree?

Orcat first let me say thank you for your compliments to CAK. I think they will be strong this year. I'm sure you've seen your girls get down and play bad. The important thing was that after the loses the picked thereselves up and finished strong. We'll have to see how they improve as the year goes on.

As for the middles, one is a senior and the other is a junior. I guess our coach would rather let the experienced back row handle that weaker cross court hit. Don't worry though I think you will see #5 hit from all three front row spots. The other side of the net won't know Wich way she's going to hit.

Lastly, the club coaching issue. From what I hear the coach has not tried to push his club on the girls yet. I think at least 4 of our girls play K2. it will be interesting so see how many defect. Since this is his first year doing so I will reserve my opinion . I guess time will tell. It seems to be working well for the coach at Webb. I know for a fact she does not push her club on the girls and doesn't punish those who don't play club for her organization. She is a class act for sure. I hope the coach at CAK follows her example.

Edited by EBTHER