Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tennessee football as we know it. Because they basically say if you don’t spend millions of dollars on recruiting football players that you don’t have a shot at winning state. High school football because of Ensworth has been turned into a game about money instead about the kids having a good time. I bet you they don’t have one kid that starts for them that lives anywhere close to that school. And I’ll go even further than that and say  they don’t have one starter that could even pay full tuition at Ensworth. Your thoughts?

• Upvote 2

I doubt you will get any responses here. There are just no Ensworth fans on here, many of the other private schools fans have left or are burned out of taking about this sort of thing. The kids at Ensworth are too busy doing school work at a good academic school, the football players are probably working out in their weight room that rivals a college weight room and are enjoying their number one tn football ranking and top 10 national ranking and are surely worrying less about other peoples envy of their success and school.

Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tennessee football as we know it. Because they basically say if you don’t spend millions of dollars on recruiting football players that you don’t have a shot at winning state. High school football because of Ensworth has been turned into a game about money instead about the kids having a good time. I bet you they don’t have one kid that starts for them that lives anywhere close to that school. And I’ll go even further than that and say they don’t have one starter that could even pay full tuition at Ensworth. Your thoughts?

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tennessee football as we know it. Because they basically say if you don’t spend millions of dollars on recruiting football players that you don’t have a shot at winning state. High school football because of Ensworth has been turned into a game about money instead about the kids having a good time. I bet you they don’t have one kid that starts for them that lives anywhere close to that school. And I’ll go even further than that and say  they don’t have one starter that could even pay full tuition at Ensworth. Your thoughts?

Good grief. Where do you people come from? I'm not an ensworth fan but this might be one of the dumbest posts i have seen on this board.  wow, just wow.  i'm speechless. Does your mom know you are on her computer?

• Upvote 1

state elections are normally very close until the last vote is counted.. What i

mean by that statement is you have large sections of the public that believe they are right and are cheering for the right person/team. A very large section of Tennessee high school football fans enjoy "their boys" climbing the ranks of local pee wee leagues and moving up to middle school and then freshman/jv and then on to high school. They pay their dues for their community and they earn the right to represent their local team. These kids will be around after they graduate and will come back and support the younger players and fans that helped cheer them on. Be it, Blue Devils, Green Devils ,Tornados, Tomcats, Chargers or whoever. The towns and local communities take pride in a kid giving it 100 percent even though they may not get the job done on certain fridays. That local pride and enthusiasm is a jewel that is better than being nationally ranked to a lot of people/teams/players/ and fans. Then there is a group of people that take great pride in being highly ranked and winning 95 percent of the time despite the fact that most of the fans will never see the players at all after they graduate. To each his own.

• Upvote 1

state elections are normally very close until the last vote is counted.. What i

mean by that statement is you have large sections of the public that believe they are right and are cheering for the right person/team. A very large section of Tennessee high school football fans enjoy "their boys" climbing the ranks of local pee wee leagues and moving up to middle school and then freshman/jv and then on to high school. They pay their dues for their community and they earn the right to represent their local team. These kids will be around after they graduate and will come back and support the younger players and fans that helped cheer them on. Be it, Blue Devils, Green Devils ,Tornados, Tomcats, Chargers or whoever. The towns and local communities take pride in a kid giving it 100 percent even though they may not get the job done on certain fridays. That local pride and enthusiasm is a jewel that is better than being nationally ranked to a lot of people/teams/players/ and fans. Then there is a group of people that take great pride in being highly ranked and winning 95 percent of the time despite the fact that most of the fans will never see the players at all after they graduate. To each his own.

well said indeed, Ensworth doesn't have tradition and a real community after the players graduate

Totally off subject, but wouldnt you love to see a Knox Fulton vs Ensworth showdown

If somebody "killed" Tennessee high school football, it wasn't Ricky Bowers....it was the TSSAA board who voted to separate financial aid private schools and public schools in 1996.  Prior to that, only 4 financial aid recipients could dress out for varsity football; the rest had to be paying full tuition.  With the creation of D2, that limit was removed.  So, today, Ensworth, MBA, BA and the rest are just playing by the rules the TSSAA imposed on them.  No doubt, it's impacted schools everywhere.

I know this, if I were one of the public school supporters upset at the growing # of kids around middle TN leaving for private schools, I'd sure rather have it like was in the old days.....i.e., 4 scholarship athlete limit.

Edited by big red big blue
  • Upvote 1

Tell me how you know this ? Does brentwood academy or Montgomery bell academy have a tradition .. Do you think kids just leave , some become successful and they never return to the school or the community . Or do you think these people who attend and play for private schools do not give back to their schools.. heavens forbid they help someone from a public school... I can't believe the niieve and closed minded statements from some of you on here ... Absolutely clueless ...

well said indeed, Ensworth doesn't have tradition and a real community after the players graduate

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Honestly, it's just the beginning.  Read the piece on Ensworth in the Tennessean from a few weeks ago.  Orleans Darkwa talks about graduating early from Tulane with a high GPA, thanks largely to his Ensworth education.  Look at how many BA players are on the roster at the U.S. Naval Academy.  The evidence is there....you can play high level football and get a great education at the D2 schools.  you can set yourself up for a great college education.  More and more people around middle TN are going to seek spots at D2 schools.....way, way, way more than 20 years ago.  Again, it's all possible because there is no limit on financial aid players.  That was pandora's box that the TSSAA opened.

I posted about a conversation I had a few weeks ago with a Nashville area youth football coach.  That youth football is really serious (probably unhealthily so) and a lot of these families are pursuing it hard core so that they can get into the private schools.  I don't know if it's altogether good or bad, but, to your point, we haven't hit the ceiling yet.