Blackman vs Bowling Green

erikays2

Blackman looks to end a Bowling Green 38 game win streak and according to BGHS fans their team hasn't been beaten by a team in Tennessee in over 20 years. BGHS is the back to back Kentucky 5A state champs. Your thoughts?

If the Bowling Green fans are saying that, that is somewhat amusing.  Before playing McCallie this year, I can't see a game Bowling Green has played against a Tennessee school since at least before the 1998 season...that's 15 seasons between 1998-2012 of not even playing a Tennessee school.  It's very easy not to lose to a school from another state when one doesn't play a school from another state!

I've read a lot of rhetoric on the Kentucky boards over the years about Tennessee cancelling the original All-Star Game series with Kentucky because Tennessee was "tired of losing to Kentucky" when Kentucky won five of the last six games to cut Tennessee's series lead from 14-4 to 15-9.  The truth of the matter was that the better players from both states started foregoing the game for fear of injury, thus diminishing somewhat the powerhouse rosters each state had (especially in the '80s and '90s), and it was essentially mutually agreed upon to end the series. It is worth noting that since 2006, when the players from that season played in the last All-Star game the next summer in 2007, Tennessee schools lead head-to-head games with Kentucky schools by a 109-72 margin. Even a lesser prestigious all-star game between the two states (National Guard Border Bowl) emerged in 2008, and Tennessee is up 4-2 in that series.  Maybe we should quit all future Kentucky games, regular season and all-star games alike, since we're eking out wins (tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

With all that said, I like reading the Kentucky message boards and their fans in general.  They fight with each other like we do, but they are much more civil with each other than we are, and they seem to be a tad bit humbler in victory and gracious in defeat. I love our state and this message board, but we could take a lesson or two from our neighbors to the north about more civilized banter.

To the game, it should be a great one.  I watched some of the McCallie-Bowling Green game, and BGHS seemed pretty skilled and fast, but they had to rally late to win in what was a tight game the whole night. BGHS has momentum (win streak) and home field advantage, but Blackman certainly has the defense to keep them somewhat in check.  Obviously, the Blackman offense has to be a bit better this week than last to keep pace.

Go Blackman/Tennessee!

from Kreager::

"Bowling Green had two offensive linemen injured a week ago. One is out for the season. The Purples also had a running back injured.

“I really wish this game was some time earlier rather than this last week of the season,†Wallace (Purples Coach) said. “From the health standpoint, our No. 1 goal is to win a state championship. We are not going to sacrifice that because this game means nothing.â€"

:popcorneater: 

If the Bowling Green fans are saying that, that is somewhat amusing.  Before playing McCallie this year, I can't see a game Bowling Green has played against a Tennessee school since at least before the 1998 season...that's 15 seasons between 1998-2012 of not even playing a Tennessee school.  It's very easy not to lose to a school from another state when one doesn't play a school from another state!

I've read a lot of rhetoric on the Kentucky boards over the years about Tennessee cancelling the original All-Star Game series with Kentucky because Tennessee was "tired of losing to Kentucky" when Kentucky won five of the last six games to cut Tennessee's series lead from 14-4 to 15-9.  The truth of the matter was that the better players from both states started foregoing the game for fear of injury, thus diminishing somewhat the powerhouse rosters each state had (especially in the '80s and '90s), and it was essentially mutually agreed upon to end the series. It is worth noting that since 2006, when the players from that season played in the last All-Star game the next summer in 2007, Tennessee schools lead head-to-head games with Kentucky schools by a 109-72 margin. Even a lesser prestigious all-star game between the two states (National Guard Border Bowl) emerged in 2008, and Tennessee is up 4-2 in that series.  Maybe we should quit all future Kentucky games, regular season and all-star games alike, since we're eking out wins (tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

With all that said, I like reading the Kentucky message boards and their fans in general.  They fight with each other like we do, but they are much more civil with each other than we are, and they seem to be a tad bit humbler in victory and gracious in defeat. I love our state and this message board, but we could take a lesson or two from our neighbors to the north about more civilized banter.

To the game, it should be a great one.  I watched some of the McCallie-Bowling Green game, and BGHS seemed pretty skilled and fast, but they had to rally late to win in what was a tight game the whole night. BGHS has momentum (win streak) and home field advantage, but Blackman certainly has the defense to keep them somewhat in check.  Obviously, the Blackman offense has to be a bit better this week than last to keep pace.

Go Blackman/Tennessee!

I haven't seen that quote anywhere. BG is pretty good. To beat St. X 39-25 is impressive. They are very good offensively...not quite as good defensively...much like many of the best KY teams. I agree Blackman has the defense to match up with them. I also agree Blackman's offense....especially their qb has to play better than last week. It does sound like BG's coach knows they are in for a battle by making those comments. I also don't think there is a big difference between TN & KY in most years. Both have some very good teams at the top.

I would have to say Bowling Green is the best team in Kentucky. However Blackman is one of the best teams in Tennessee.

Both teams have potential to put up a lot of points, but Blackman's offense has struggled lately. Bowling Green loves to throw the football. None of their opponents have been able to stop the "Air Raid." Devin Hayes throws one of the most accurate balls I've ever seen at the high school level. Blackman's defense is very stout, and can no doubt slow down the Purple's offense. I think BG has to many weapons on offense for them to be completely shut down. They have so much speed and break a big play at anytime.

I would have to agree when someone says Blackmon plays better competition. They are more battle tested than the Purples. Their 8-1 record is just as impressive as BG's 8-0 record.

In the end I think Bowling Green's home-field advantage and Blackman's long travel will be the difference.

Bowling Green 28 Blackman 21

The trip distance will not be an issue. Last year we traveled that far and slightly further twice within a span of 3 weeks. It wasn't a problem then don't anticipate it will be a problem tomorrow. I hope that the home field advantage you're referring to doesn't include unnessary flags. Looking forward to a great game being won on the field thanks to hard fair play by the best playing team tomorrow and without injury on either side. Go Blaze!!!

It shouldn't. I hope your band knows that it is illegal to play while there is a play going on in Kentucky. Should be an exciting game to watch! I agree with the injury part, especially since we're so close to the playoffs. I wish this game was played earlier in the year. Both teams are a little banged up. Will be a great game no matter what!