HENDERSONVILLE vs. MARYVILLE 6A Championship

Newcastle

The Commandos seem to come from behind.  They had three losses during their regular season games this year.  I believe it should prove interesting.  Just looked at their web site and they obviously have some real talent.  Red Rebels will have their hands full.  MHS 42 - HHS 33.

regards to the Board,

Mapp

Well said, Mondo44. I believe Hendersonville is a very fundamentally sound and well coached team as well. I do, however, believe Maryville has had their share of D1 talent through the years but, does win consistently with their "regulars" as a team.   

I think that Maryville has had a decent amount of D-1 talent.  However, I think it is different than a lot of teams.  Some teams are just loaded at skill positions with the most athletic players in the state.  Whitehaven last year had that advantage.  Maryville usually has one or two that are of a high caliber and then everyone else is a regular guy.  Also, Maryville doesn't really rely on those D-1 players like other teams do.  Look at Beech... without their star (who is amazing) they go 6-5 and lose in the first round of the playoffs.  With him they won two state titles in a row.  They relied on him that heavily.  Maryville had D-1 talent Carl Stewart from 2000-2002, but if you watched us play and looked at stats from that year his running mate TJ Brock (and in 2002 Chris McCord) both had similar stats.  With Robbinette or Thompson Maryville kept the game balanced on the ground and had outstanding running backs.  They've never been a team to just put the burden on the shoulders of one player and I think that is what makes them so hard to stop.

The worst thing that can happen is all the cheap talk about just showing up next week and picking up the trophy from a group of couch potatoes that have taken on a sideline career as a football know it all. Last night I was listening to the Fulton game and the announcer made a comment about one of the banners that read "Welcome to our practice" or something along those lines and they found their selves in a fight for their lives and who would have ever predicted that. I expected that game to be so lopsided that I dreaded hearing the score.                 I have a very tribal knowledge of the History of Maryville Football since the mid 1960's since I have seen most of them and I can personally point out all the loses from that time forward where chickens were counted before they were hatched and we ended up with eggs on out faces. You never know the situations or injuries the other team may have had during the season and get surprised so I hope the players don't get caught into this trap  and think all we have to do is show up or they might go home empty handed again.

Barney , I know where you're coming from , but do you really think you make it to 10 State Championships in a Row by Overlooking anyone ? I don't remember any Egg on our Faces under George Quarles , we've been beat by Superior teams , But not because of lack of Preparation . 2003 we had a bunch of Turnovers ... it wasn't because we didn't take Morristown West seriously we just didn't execute in pretty harsh Weather Conditions  .  2008 , 09 , & 12 we came up against athletes we just couldn't contain , I promise you those teams were prepared , you just can't always beat a team that is Loaded with Talent . Last year , if you look on paper , and look how many DI Athletes were on that Whitehaven team , it's Amazing that it really came down to a very suspect call . I do agree with you though in you never underestimate an opponent , and I definitely don't like seeing Maryville fans saying blow outs or predicting easy wins . I never , ever predict a Game and I just really don't understand why , the only prediction I ever pay attention to is StarsNbars's Predictions .... because he's a Legend !! lol . All that said , no matter how disrespectful some of our fans may be , I trust George and his Great Staff to make sure this team is prepared and that they don't overlook anybody .

RebelRon was about to have a Heart Attack in the first Qtr last Night , I kept hearing " Oh my God " over and over , I told Rebelron to relax and Trust Coach Quarles and his Staff and these young men . I won't ever predict a Score but to be totally honest , as long as George Quarles is here I go into every game expecting to win ... why wouldn't any Maryville fan ?? GO REBELS !!

I think that Maryville has had a decent amount of D-1 talent.  However, I think it is different than a lot of teams.  Some teams are just loaded at skill positions with the most athletic players in the state.  Whitehaven last year had that advantage.  Maryville usually has one or two that are of a high caliber and then everyone else is a regular guy.  Also, Maryville doesn't really rely on those D-1 players like other teams do.  Look at Beech... without their star (who is amazing) they go 6-5 and lose in the first round of the playoffs.  With him they won two state titles in a row.  They relied on him that heavily.  Maryville had D-1 talent Carl Stewart from 2000-2002, but if you watched us play and looked at stats from that year his running mate TJ Brock (and in 2002 Chris McCord) both had similar stats.  With Robbinette or Thompson Maryville kept the game balanced on the ground and had outstanding running backs.  They've never been a team to just put the burden on the shoulders of one player and I think that is what makes them so hard to stop.

I agree MaryvilleRebels , one of your best Posts !  Also with Carl Stewart , good gosh what a Beast , I spent 3 years wishing to see him on Defense .... never did . How many other coaches would of panicked when things got tight and threw everything out the Window and got Desperate ?? There were times I was begging Coach to put Brandon Waters in on Defense , and Brandon did play some , just not a lot ... Coach Quarles has enough confidence to know that the things he believes in will pay off in the long run , and he will stay the course no matter what us Couch Coaches may think . 

I agree MaryvilleRebels , one of your best Posts !  Also with Carl Stewart , good gosh what a Beast , I spent 3 years wishing to see him on Defense .... never did . How many other coaches would of panicked when things got tight and threw everything out the Window and got Desperate ?? There were times I was begging Coach to put Brandon Waters in on Defense , and Brandon did play some , just not a lot ... Coach Quarles has enough confidence to know that the things he believes in will pay off in the long run , and he will stay the course no matter what us Couch Coaches may think . 

Those are a couple more good points.  A lot of teams that we play, even though they are huge schools with tons of players, will play many of their stars on both sides of the ball.  Maryville tries to avoid this anytime they can.  Waters was a guy that was big and strong enough and mobile enough to play both sides of the ball, but he only played center because we had good enough DTs at the time (one of those only being about 140 pounds, haha).  Drew Galyon at that time was a beast at defensive end and was extremely fast and could have played on offense, but Quarles only used him at defense end.  This year you see Miller played defensive end and then he will somewhat sparingly come in as a defensive end.  Maryville does play some on both sides, but their main weapons, quarterback and running back... I have never seen them play defense, and I don't think I ever will under Quarles, and I think that pays off at the end of games and at the end of the year when it matters most.

Also, the fact that our boys rarely seem to panic.  Last night they got punched in the mouth and things didn't look very good.  Offense wasn't clicking and defense wasn't doing the best job at stopping Blackman's running game.  Then Jackson gets an interception and the whole team responded and the game changed.  Several times through the year the boys have been down and it didn't look good, but they responded.  It is simply amazing and has been fun to watch.

For Pepvol as he seem to appreciate these sort of things:

Maryville vs. Hendersonville:

Record:

Maryville: 14-0/7-0     Hendersonville: 11-3/5-2

National Ranking:

Maryville: 30     Hendersonville: 733

State Ranking:

Maryville: 1     Hendersonville: 22

6A Ranking:

Maryville: 1     Hendersonville: 7 (not ranked in AP)

Vs. AP top 10 opponents:

Maryville: 7-0  Hendersonville: No games played

Points Scored/Allowed:

Maryville: 622-125 (44-9)     Hendersonville: 527-319 (38-23)

Points Scored/Allowed vs. AP top 10:

Maryville: 296-80 (42-11)     Hendersonville: No games played

Playoff Opponents Scored/Allowed:

Maryville: 175-58 (44-15)     Hendersonville: 163-135 (41-34)

Playoff Opponents Record:

Maryville: 37-13 (74%)     Hendersonville:  35-15 (70%)

Games vs. .500 + win teams:

Maryville: 9     Hendersonville: 8

Games vs. 10+ win teams:

Maryville: 6     Hendersonville: 0

Opponents Record:

Maryville: 106-60 (64%)     Hendersonville: 79-78 (50%)

Opponents that made Playoffs:

Maryville: 8     Hendersonville: 7

Opponents that are playing for their respected State Titles:

Maryville: 3     Hendersonville: 0

Senior Classes:

Overall win/loss:

Maryville: 57-2     Hendersonville: 35-18

Playoff win/loss:

Maryville: 18-1     Hendersonville: 11-2

Notable loss for Hendersonville: Vs. Brentwood which finished 3-7

My Pick:

Maryville 35, Hendersonville 14

Based mostly off the 4th qrt of the Whitestation game, I'll take Maryville by 3tds. Hendersonville will make mistakes and Maryville will capitalize on the most of them. Maryville won't make many mistakes and I cant see Maryville D letting Hendersonville run the ball effectively. I hope I'm wrong tho, not really rooting for either team but I wanna see a good game.

For Pepvol as he seem to appreciate these sort of things:

Maryville vs. Hendersonville:

Record:

Maryville: 14-0/7-0     Hendersonville: 11-3/5-2

National Ranking:

Maryville: 30     Hendersonville: 733

State Ranking:

Maryville: 1     Hendersonville: 22

6A Ranking:

Maryville: 1     Hendersonville: 7 (not ranked in AP)

Vs. AP top 10 opponents:

Maryville: 7-0  Hendersonville: No games played

Points Scored/Allowed:

Maryville: 622-125 (44-9)     Hendersonville: 527-319 (38-23)

Points Scored/Allowed vs. AP top 10:

Maryville: 296-80 (42-11)     Hendersonville: No games played

Playoff Opponents Scored/Allowed:

Maryville: 175-58 (44-15)     Hendersonville: 163-135 (41-34)

Playoff Opponents Record:

Maryville: 37-13 (74%)     Hendersonville:  35-15 (70%)

Games vs. .500 + win teams:

Maryville: 9     Hendersonville: 8

Games vs. 10+ win teams:

Maryville: 6     Hendersonville: 0

Opponents Record:

Maryville: 106-60 (64%)     Hendersonville: 79-78 (50%)

Opponents that made Playoffs:

Maryville: 8     Hendersonville: 7

Opponents that are playing for their respected State Titles:

Maryville: 3     Hendersonville: 0

Senior Classes:

Overall win/loss:

Maryville: 57-2     Hendersonville: 35-18

Playoff win/loss:

Maryville: 18-1     Hendersonville: 11-2

Notable loss for Hendersonville: Vs. Brentwood which finished 3-7

My Pick:

Maryville 35, Hendersonville 14

Hey thanks Mav4Life !! Some eye opening stuff there !! Interesting that Hendersonville has not played any top 10 teams ! Plus with Maryville having played against 6 teams with 10 plus wins with Hendersonville 0 , Guess our Powder puff Competition wasn't that bad after all .  Thanks again Mav , good stuff !!

• Upvote 1