Petition to seperate all public from all private schools

tradertwo

I just heard through the grapevine that there's a "petition" being formed by a prominent middle Tn. coach to place all private schools in DII. He is requesting a letter from public school rep's (principal/AD/coach) in support of the separation...rumor has it that there's already letters being received, and that his target number to forward to TSSAA is 25.

Interesting...you chose "reaction" for your moniker, and your reply is popcorn eater. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter, as you seem pretty practical as far as issues concerning the politics of sports.

I'm not big on the debate, I just mostly read as people try and change other opinions on the topic.  I have no problem with a split.  I can see pros and cons for each side. If people want to say privates have an advantage due to they can draw from a larger pool of kids because zoning is not an issue, then I cannot sit here and say you are wrong or disagree with that. Public school supporters do make valid points as to why there should be a split. The one argument I will continue to laugh about is that privates recruit. So you mean to tell me public schools don't? B)

One reason I did not want to see a split personally was I enjoyed some of the rivalries we have created over the years with SP, Marion Co., Charelston (that was long ago). We didn't always beat these teams, and when we started we knew as a program we were making progress. Those use to be region games that actually mattered. Now we are in a crap district when it comes to football, and only have 3 region games. We do not actaully get to see any of the better 2A public schools until the play offs. We have played a few D2 teams over the years and have been pretty successful, so there is no question we could compete. It is just a waiting game now. When they say leave, we will leave. Until then, your stuck with us.  :mrgreen:

P.S. -  Once privates are out of D1 (which I think will happen sooner than later) Open zoned schools are on deck.  :popcorneater:

Edited by reaction

I'm not big on the debate, I just mostly read as people try and change other opinions on the topic.  I have no problem with a split.  I can see pros and cons for each side. If people want to say privates have an advantage due to they can draw from a larger pool of kids because zoning is not an issue, then I cannot sit here and say you are wrong or disagree with that. Public school supporters do make valid points as to why there should be a split. The one argument I will continue to laugh about is that privates recruit. So you mean to tell me public schools don't? B)

One reason I did not want to see a split personally was I enjoyed some of the rivalries we have created over the years with SP, Marion Co., Charelston (that was long ago). We didn't always beat these teams, and when we started we knew as a program we were making progress. Those use to be region games that actually mattered. Now we are in a crap district when it comes to football, and only have 3 region games. We do not actaully get to see any of the better 2A public schools until the play offs. We have played a few D2 teams over the years and have been pretty successful, so there is no question we could compete. It is just a waiting game now. When they say leave, we will leave. Until then, your stuck with us.  :mrgreen:

P.S. -  Once privates are out of D1 (which I think will happen sooner than later) Open zoned schools are on deck.  :popcorneater:

Too long.  Didn't read.  You drinkin'? :mrgreen:

• Upvote 1

Glad you took the time to explain your position...everyone has differing opinions, and reasons to support their viewpoint. In rural west Tn. your comment about public schools recruiting doesn't apply too often though. I'm sure that in situations where possible it does happen, but often (in our case) it's almost impossible for it to be an issue. Scotts Hill is in an open zoned county, a situation the privates often compare to their own for access to "obtain" players...we are also bordered on three sides by county lines within three or four miles, and the only other high school in the county sits in the geographic center of the county, with the vast majority of the population residing on the other side. Yes it's possible for a student to bypass the other school if their transportation is provided, but difficult. other schools in our district (excluding the privates) are mostly in the same situation...the "ability" to recruit via the rules, no talent pool available. Over the years our district has included one magnet school and four private schools in Jackson (70,000 population city, 100,000 countywide), who regularly bus athletes in from surrounding counties... level playing field?...with our entire county population at 26,000 and our community's population at less than 3,000... I don't think so. I'm not a private school hater, just hate the thought that our kids face long odds for success because TSSAA's sense of fairness places them at such a disadvantage before their first practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just think of all the great rivalries that some of these private schools could have if they went to D II. Grace v Webb, CAK v Webb, Boyd v Webb, ND v Webb, Catholic v Webb (for a State Championship), CPA v Webb. Basically every private school in D I that would not go to the top private division if there was a complete split that would have to play Webb, unless the privates went to three classifications. If there was a complete split between public and private schools there would be enough schools to have three divisions. The old travel argument that the privates used to ride on the back of the public schools for their success, (and to not have to play Webb) is over.

I talked to a major booster/parent/donor from one of the private schools in Knoxville that said the petition in the TSSAA to split public private is really picking up support in Knoxville and East Tennessee because of the way(recruiting) Knoxville Catholic is getting players. Their own parents and boosters brag to everyone how they are getting any player they want and that has brought a lot of attention from people who want a split, especially Knox Fulton people. Seems like the Shomperant brothers have crossed to many lines and now they will have to compete with Webb instead of Fulton for a State Championship. This booster/parent/donor also told me that all that it will take is for a media person to do some snooping and get some people to talk and get it in the paper so T$$AA will have to investigate. I don't think that Jesse from the Sentinel would do it because he is too scared to report anything real because he would loose all of his coaching buddies and no one would come on his TV or radio shows. Plus then George would get scared the Jesse would come after the Maryville Mafia, or Gary would just beat him up.Also his boss at the paper is Catholic. Maybe those guys from the Chattanooga paper will do the job. They don't seem to be afraid of anyone.