Home School Participation

trebs

The School board for the public school district has to approve the curriculum of the homeschool student before they can participate. If school systems don't want home schoolers to participate all they have to do is reject all home school curriculum. I don't understand why they SHOULD be allowed to in the first place. If precious little johnny is too good to go to public school then he is too good to play ball for em too..JMO!

I went to public school for 13 years & was grateful for the opportunity to play sports. I pay taxes like everyone else. My little Johnny missed 50+ days due to severe allergies to mold. Mold that is all in the public school 2 miles from my house. Next county over is zoned. Our school said they would have to get bids blah blah...to TRY & fix the issue by the next school year. I would imagine that if you couldn't sleep at night because you can hear little Johnny struggling to breath, you might consider homeschooling! If you follow my posts, you know I love high school sports & would love my little Johnny to have the opportunity that my tax dollars affords everyone else's little Johnny to have. JMO! Edited by oldkodger

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It a no win argument most do not want them due to the stereotype. Then you throw in Tim Tebow, Jason Williams and Taber Spani just to name a couple of home school athletes. It mostly boils down to a bunch of closed minded people making decisions and assumptions about people they know nothing about. We just moved to TN from NC a couple of months ago, we home schooled our children for two yeas best decision we ever made. Older son wanted to go back to public school for high school and younger one decided too as well.

The area of NC we were in just north of Charlotte had a solid athletic program with basketball boys and girls, football, softball, baseball and volleyball. We play against other home schools, private and some public. More and more home school kids are going to college to play ball Liberty University has several home school kids. LU host a very large home school basketball tournament every years with more than a 100 teams. They appear to be using a lessor known market.

A lot of people holler if little home school Johnny/Jannie is to good to go to our school they don't need to play our sports. Well that's fine just give them the tax money the school would receive for them and call it done.

Ten states currently force public schools to allow homeschoolers access to classes or sports part-time. These states are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, and Washington

Ten states currently force public schools to allow homeschoolers access to classes or sports part-time. These states are Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, and Washington

Tennessee is not included on your list.  Do you think Tennessee's law does not require public schools to allow homeschoolers to participate?  The way I read the law, Tennessee public schools who are members of TSSAA must allow homeschoolers to try out.

Unless I missed it, no-one else has mentioned homeshoolers playing for a public school outside the two I listed in my first post.

I went to public school for 13 years & was grateful for the opportunity to play sports. I pay taxes like everyone else. My little Johnny missed 50+ days due to severe allergies to mold. Mold that is all in the public school 2 miles from my house. Next county over is zoned. Our school said they would have to get bids blah blah...to TRY & fix the issue by the next school year. I would imagine that if you couldn't sleep at night because you can hear little Johnny struggling to breath, you might consider homeschooling! If you follow my posts, you know I love high school sports & would love my little Johnny to have the opportunity that my tax dollars affords everyone else's little Johnny to have. JMO!

First of all everyone else don't pay taxes which really ticks me off...but that's a different subject for a different forum.

I hate to sound unsympathetic and I hate the situation you're in, but if allergies are that bad exactly what sport could he play anyway. Also don't know you're situation but sometimes kids are just allergic to school. What school system would not be forced to remove mold from their school buildings?

Back to the original argument. Homeschool kids can not be required to meet the same criteria that the rest of the kids are. Coach cant monitor their grades and behavior at school.

Sorry about you're situation but sometimes things don't go smooth as you would like. The biggest problems in the world today stem from everyone thinking the rest of the world should conform to meet their needs because they want to be different.

• 2 weeks later...

In UC I know 2 really good athletes who are home schooled  and were denied the chance to participate in UC football. I don/t know for sure but I think it had something to do with disciplinary control over students at any school sponsored event. The school wouldn't have any control over kids that could do something that brings negative attention and consequences to our school.

• 3 weeks later...