The State of Bearden Volleyball

bigbluevolley

I'm starting this post so we can concentrate on one topic in each post. We have got some passionate people (which is great) and we tend to go off topic some times. Anyways, let me answer K2R.

You are correct The Ex Bearden coach didn't promise anything but Some people like Phillyal and spike4 (where are you  by the way) said from the very beginning he had an agenda and that was to (basically) serve and protect his daughter. They also said when his daughter graduated he would quit Bearden. MANY disagreed including myself. We were wrong and they were right. Anyone can quit anything at any time. The coach told parents that this was not true. That's why its wrong k2r. It would be fine if he was up front with everyone but it seems like he can't be.

I also have asked a lot of people about the vacant position at Bearden. They all said that there is one person that they think will have a big say on who should get the job. I have never met this person and the people have asked me not to put he/she name out there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBV, to my knowledge Dave never made a secret that he was leaving with his daughter. It was talked about on this board moths ago even?

As far as the state ov Bearden volleyball it is about what it has always been. Slightly more than average.

It reminds me of the Karns team four or five years ago that had a great group of girls come thru and had two strong years. When they left the program fell back to what they always were, slightly better than average.

Bearden had a great group of players. Dave didn't change anything, or make it better, did he?

What do they need to do get better. Right now you have Webb, Anderson County, Farragut and Catholic that are established programs that are competitive year in year out. Harding Valley is knocking on the door and CAK, if they can show the next couple of years that they are good after the big girl left then they are there. Bearden has a LONG way to go. If the are objecting to Shannon then they have a real problem. Tom could not coach a high school team. The AC assistants don't appear to be interested. Who is left?

I don't have a clue who they would pick.  I know who I would like and who I wouldn't like to see there.  Parents like me would love to know.  It is really going to decide whether my daughter plays high school or does something else.  And for the record...Dave told several parents (including myself) that he planned on being around to coach the girls.  He always said that he wasn't coaching for his daughter but he was coaching because he enjoyed it and he enjoyed watching the girls get better and have fun playing the sport he loved.  Many of the girls he had coached in middle school and he always told the parents that he loved coaching them and that's why he was doing it.  I totally get what you're saying K2R, but the parents that i've talked to don't feel lied to but misled.  I don't blame him for leaving to watch his daughter, but it should have been made clear from the get go that those were the plans.  I don't think anybody would have blamed him.  It's just a matter of trust and transparency.  Not really dishonesty.

I TOLD YOU MORE THAN ONCE WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO!!!!!

I hate it for the parents that were misled or lied to. 2players you can say misled and I respect your wording, but the parents were lied to. There is no way around it. He said all those things to the parents and the girls, while all along he knew what e was going to do. I'll go into more about this later. He is who he is and he does have an AGENDA. 2players, Do you see that now?

2Players. All this will work out. I'm pretty sure I know who BBV is talking about (the person who will influence the hire) and they are pro Bearden, Pro Volleyball and they want the best for ALL the girls. This person wants the KVA, K2 and non club girls to all be successful.

Philly, I never really believed that he was staying.  No one who knew his history or his style of coaching would believe that he was staying.  BBV, I did not have anyone playing on the team last year.  Without giving away too much i'll just say that I don't view things the way that 99% of parents do.  We have been to a few practices and several games.  I am good friends with several parents and players now and from the past few years.  I'm a competitor and I raise competitors...lol.  It's not about the "high school experience" for my girls.  It's about competing and becoming the best volleyball player that you can become.  I had a parent tell me that it wasn't all about winning and practicing all the time but about the experience and having fun.  I don't believe that.  There's nothing fun about losing and walking onto a court looking like a middle school team.  Having more team get together's and fundraisers than time you spend in practice.  These girls would have on full faces of makeup and hairdos before the game and then get beat.  They'd leave practice and weren't even sweaty. I'd rather take my money and pay for growth and training.  That's why I'm closely watching this coaching thing.  I don't think there are any Olympic coaches out there but at least someone who is going to practice them.  Work on swings, serving zones, running slides, serve receive, and block timing.  And most of all a coach who doesn't let parents influence them.  Bearden deserves a straight up, old school coach. 

Philly, I think I know who BBV is talking about too because he's a good friend of mine and he could influence a lot of what goes on there.  He's a Bulldog through and through and is all about seeing the volleyball program succeed (if we're talking about the same person).  I'm not sure how far he would intervene with the coaching thing there. 

k2r. from what I'm hearing I would agree with that statement.

2players. Yes this person will shoot straight to the AD. He/she knows the volleyball environment VERY well and will help with this decision. Also has no dog in the fight, just knows the environment and wants ALL the girls to succeed. Kind of an old school thought though. Not too many people stay involved when they don't have a dog in the fight.

I spoke with my friend last night and asked about the Mincie rumor (I have no idea if i'm spelling the name correct) and he said that he's already strongly suggested that it would just be another Dave situation.  Apparently, Bearden couldn't get Dave's resignation fast enough.  Don't know the details on why but I could guess though.  Also, Jason Keeble is out.  I asked myself.  It's attractive but he's 5 minutes from Heritage and his daughter will be there in a year.  That's one name to x out.  

Edited by 2Players