Volleyball Question for the Holidays

beachboy

Well, it sounds as if we don't have enough to talk about during the holidays (lol), so I thought I would ask a question that I have been thinking about for a while.  As I read through the volleyball message board I have noticed that the majority if not all of the posts concern volleyball in Knoxville.  Why are there not more postings from upper East Tennessee, or Middle or West Tennessee lately.  And for that matter not much from the Chattanooga area (digs of the Queen of TN HS volleyball; Coach Neely).  I very rarely hear anything about volleyball in Memphis and most of the Nashville posts seem to come during club season.  Am I missing something, or why is the CoachT crowd so focused on KTown and not elsewhere recently?  Very curious.....  Of course my feeble mind might have missed a lot. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is because the volleyball community in Knoxville has exploded. There is more interest than at any other time in history because of K2. Look what it did for Webb, Farragut and others. You also see parents caring about the sport, and the tragedy that occurred at Bearden.

For years Anderson County was the only state power in our area. As this years state playoffs showed, Knoxville has passed Nashville and Chattanooga has disappeared.

K2R. Could you please let the readers on this forum know that you are in no way affiliated with K2 volleyball? Most people on here think since your username is K2Ruth, that you are a voice of K2 Volleyball club. I know you aren't but most others don't. A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth about K2 VBC because of some of the things you say. Keep posting and speaking your mind, but please inform the readers that you are in no way the voice of K2 VBC. Thank you so much for helping clarify where you "are not" coming from.

I am not affiliated with K2 nor have I ever said that. I have had ties with the club, but I do not own it, work for it or speak for it. I respect what they are doing for Knoxville volleyball.

OOOOOOOO. This is very surprising to me. I thought you were part of the club. Thanks for noting this. I bet a lot of people felt like me. I like your post and your insight. It takes a whole new meaning now too. Did your daughter play there?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it sounds as if we don't have enough to talk about during the holidays (lol), so I thought I would ask a question that I have been thinking about for a while.  As I read through the volleyball message board I have noticed that the majority if not all of the posts concern volleyball in Knoxville.  Why are there not more postings from upper East Tennessee, or Middle or West Tennessee lately.  And for that matter not much from the Chattanooga area (digs of the Queen of TN HS volleyball; Coach Neely).  I very rarely hear anything about volleyball in Memphis and most of the Nashville posts seem to come during club season.  Am I missing something, or why is the CoachT crowd so focused on KTown and not elsewhere recently?  Very curious.....  Of course my feeble mind might have missed a lot.

It seems that most of the football talk, on the AAA board anyway, is also mostly east TN related.

I think there is more focus on high school sports in East Tennessee due to the fact that besides UT, high school sports is the only game in town. I grew up in E TN, I get it. But now that I live in the Nashville area I've noticed that there is far less coverage and following of high school sports and more on professional (Predators and Titans) and college sports (UT, Vandy, MTSU, TSU, etc...). Also, the Nashville area is a mix of people from all over the country. Most couldn't care less about high school sports unless their child is involved and then they focus only on their child's games. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's just a reality. A lot of kids now play ice hockey and lacrosse which is not TSSAA sanctioned.

I think it is because the volleyball community in Knoxville has exploded. There is more interest than at any other time in history because of K2. Look what it did for Webb, Farragut and others. You also see parents caring about the sport, and the tragedy that occurred at Bearden.

For years Anderson County was the only state power in our area. As this years state playoffs showed, Knoxville has passed Nashville and Chattanooga has disappeared.

I don't think Chattanooga volleyball has disappeared.  We had 1 State Champion and 1 runner up this year.  So that doesn't look like we dissappeared.  We don't act jealous of others and play in the sand box with each other nice and still grow the sport of volleyball.  Some of the volleyball people have changed, but it still as big as ever.