State Duels Brackets

fooseball96

Bump, they are listed in the book. Give them a call. Or better yet, give Russianbear a call. He probably needs help. Just can't make everyone

happy.

I do remember the food police searching the kids bags and removing their food. Also remember the

Drink stations for the wrestlers that were empty.

No matter where it lands, someone will be upset.

So far -- Everyone wants the MONEY !

Edited by HSDAD

Don't forget that it was the carry format until it got to the CP. Not a huge fan of the venue (lighting is poor, hard to see across all the mats if you are on one end) but I appreciate the effort that the Williamson County coaches and booster clubs do to put the events on.

Edited by StarRaider

The only conceivable reason (unless someone just isn't sane) to justify the event being held where it is, is money.

The problem is everything has a price. Unfortunately the price comes at a once in a lifetime experience for the kids. 

The venue is unsanitary. Once the public is aware of the unsanitary conditions, then they will be forced to change it.

As for the carry format, it CAN be done with virtually the same time schedule with 8 mats. This was confirmed by several sources. The only difference would be adding 1 session and staggering the time schedules for the referees. This wouldn't extend the start or finish time and you could still run all 3 divisions and the Woman's together.

Edited by russianbear

You guys are soooooo way off.  First of all,  Austin Peay  can only put down 8 mats at most.  I was at the AAU tournament and they did a fantastic job...but reality is...until the coaches and AD's in Tennessee decide to combine the 3 divisions,  It can not happen.  Shame on our coaches, principles  and AD’s…NOT TSSAA.

Do you realize that the TSSAA is a non-profit organization? They only enforce the rules that the member schools vote upon. Call your administrator and coach to complain.   We are, and have been,  very very fortunate to have TSSAA administration that loves wrestling. 

Further we were very blessed to have had wrestling coach, Ronnie Carter, as the former Executive for TSSAA, Wrestling grew exponentially during his tenure.

Of course Chattanooga would love to have it in their own backyard, as would Memphis or Knoxville....but that is purely “narrow vision†for wrestling to be available to all fans.  When I hear someone on this post say, “he quit coming to the state tournament when they moved it to Nashville,†I say good riddance.  Chattanooga only comprises 17% of the wrestlers in the whole state.  He wasn’t a real supporter for the overall sport anyway.

If you want to change things, call your lazy principles, Ad’s and coaches and ask them to come up with something good for the sport,

If you have a solution,.... great,  present it.  Do the work, do the ROI analysis, come up with real business numbers.  If you can’t,  quit complaining.  Any increase in cost to the TSSAA wrestling tournament  is only past through to our schools ,  Ask yourself, what do we really want for this sport?    Not just my own interest. 

If you state,  "I've attended all state tournaments until they moved g it to the "cow palace"  How can you comment on the tournament if you didn't attend"  sound like your interested in yourself more then the kids. 

You guys are soooooo way off.  First of all,  Austin Peay  can only put down 8 mats at most.  I was at the AAU tournament and they did a fantastic job...but reality is...until the coaches and AD's in Tennessee decide to combine the 3 divisions,  It can not happen.  Shame on our coaches, principles  and AD’s…NOT TSSAA.

Do you realize that the TSSAA is a non-profit organization? They only enforce the rules that the member schools vote upon. Call your administrator and coach to complain.   We are, and have been,  very very fortunate to have TSSAA administration that loves wrestling. 

Further we were very blessed to have had wrestling coach, Ronnie Carter, as the former Executive for TSSAA, Wrestling grew exponentially during his tenure.

Of course Chattanooga would love to have it in their own backyard, as would Memphis or Knoxville....but that is purely “narrow vision†for wrestling to be available to all fans.  When I hear someone on this post say, “he quit coming to the state tournament when they moved it to Nashville,†I say good riddance.  Chattanooga only comprises 17% of the wrestlers in the whole state.  He wasn’t a real supporter for the overall sport anyway.

If you want to change things, call your lazy principles, Ad’s and coaches and ask them to come up with something good for the sport,

If you have a solution,.... great,  present it.  Do the work, do the ROI analysis, come up with real business numbers.  If you can’t,  quit complaining.  Any increase in cost to the TSSAA wrestling tournament  is only past through to our schools ,  Ask yourself, what do we really want for this sport?    Not just my own interest. 

If you state,  "I've attended all state tournaments until they moved g it to the "cow palace"  How can you comment on the tournament if you didn't attend"  sound like your interested in yourself more then the kids. 

First off, I agree with you about saying "good ridance" to the so called fans that won't attend the state tournament because of location or facility. A true fan (if realistically and financially possible) would want to watch regardless of where the event took place.

I also agree that Ronnie Carter did a tremendous job. I also applaud Marc Reeves. So far he's taken a great interest in our great sport and has moved things forward.

There are many people that complain about the 'Cow Palace'. Rightfully so. I was and still am one of those people. When I realized I was only complaining, I tried to do something. I'm not going to gather numbers, statistics, investigate venues or do any of the things that the TSSAA should be doing to change venues. Maybe somebody else will. But, what I will do is make the public aware of the unsanitary conditions. I might (I know I already have) acquire some haters along the way. I don't care. It's worth it to me. The venue is unsanitary and needs to be changed.

If I'm not mistaken didn't someone already do the math and it can be ran on 8 mats? If you think the Tssaa doesn't drag it out as long as possible to increase revenue for hotels, restaurants and concessions then you are fooling yourself. How many kids were at this tournament at Austin Peay? I bet it was more than what was at our state tournament and they do it every weekend in one day. Surely we can do it in three days. Move the girls to another venue and the problem is solved , if there even is a time issue to begin with. You say the coaches and administrators need to complain? Every single coach I know has complained. It's not an issue of what's central to our state but what is the best venue for these kids. Ask any kid that has seen the old state tournaments at Utc and they will tell you they hate the way it is now. Also, if it's free then let's not have all three finals at once. I for one would like to actually be able to view all three matches. Also, if it's free let's make nicer awards for the kids or something. Can someone smarter than me post pictures of what the kids state champions get and a picture of the tournament at Austin Peay? I saw one on Facebook recently but don't remember who posted it.

Edited by rgiii
  • Upvote 1

Believe me, I not oppossed to seeing it somewhere else.  It is almost too big of a venue.  Don;t know if I agree with the sanitary piece though.  I've spent alot of time in gyms for  decades and the public areas at the "palace" are the best I've seen. You could eat off the floors in the rest rooms.

I loved it at McClellan,  but reality is,  the restrooms were filthy, with commodes stopped up and over-flowing. We know what happens to a wrestlers bodies when  deprived  of food and liquuid for day's and then purged after weigh-ins.  McClellan as well as all Highschools are flooded by stopped up toilets, with feces and vomit rendering everything except the urinals unsuable. 

Does anyone know if there is a facilty at MTSU  with enough floor space? TSU, AP, Vanderbilt, UT and TTU have plenty of seating, but what i've seen, not enough mat space with the current format. 

If I'm not mistaken didn't someone already do the math and it can be ran on 8 mats? If you think the Tssaa doesn't drag it out as long as possible to increase revenue for hotels, restaurants and concessions then you are fooling yourself. How many kids were at this tournament at Austin Peay? I bet it was more than what was at our state tournament and they do it every weekend in one day. Surely we can do it in three days. Move the girls to another venue and the problem is solved , if there even is a time issue to begin with. You say the coaches and administrators need to complain? Every single coach I know has complained. It's not an issue of what's central to our state but what is the best venue for these kids. Ask any kid that has seen the old state tournaments at Utc and they will tell you they hate the way it is now. Also, if it's free then let's not have all three finals at once. I for one would like to actually be able to view all three matches. Also, if it's free let's make nicer awards for the kids or something. Can someone smarter than me post pictures of what the kids state champions get and a picture of the tournament at Austin Peay? I saw one on Facebook recently but don't remember who posted it.

No RGiii, 

I was not saying,  "have your coaches and administration complain to the TSSAA."  There are enough people doing that. 

Have them come up with a solution and present a proposal, just like they did when they choose to eliminate the District, Region, and state format.  Your coaches, AD's and principals are the ones that decided to take the state tournament from 12 State Champions and only 36 other medalist to,,,,, 52 state champions (more state champs then previous medalist) and another 144 medalist.    Lipscomb, UTC and Glencliff HS were able to run a very effiecient state tournament on three mats in less then 2 days.

PS: Austin Peay did a great job on 8 mats for less then 500 participants,  ! minute rounds, 50% pins and no mandatory rest period between matches.  Alot of kids in the consolations only had 10 minutes between matches.  You can not mathmatically do that under HS rules,  Not TSSAA rules...National assciation rules.