CPA vs creekwood

Bamapappy

As I posted earlier CPA is very good, Blackwell is great & with Mr. Campbell at point & the remainder of the supporting cast, they will be difficult to handle. Take nothing away from the team but when you have the ability to get kids from other states to move to Tennessee to play for you there is almost no way to compete for a public school. The only other teams with the ability to compete with that are the privates.

Having said that, they knew they had been in a game last night as the boys from CW never quit & kept coming. I'm not sure CPA has seen that from a local public school at least this year. CW is a very good team and show very poorly last nigh (give credit to the physical defense of CPA for some of that). CW still has a chance to make some noise as long as they can get over this lose before heading to Pearl.

Did I say that? No I didn't. I stated they were terrible. The only thing they were consistent about was being inconsistent. Probably because two of the three could not keep up with the pace of play.

I agree, GB. HS refs struggle calling a game played at the pace, intensity, and skill level that this game was played. Lots of great athletes, tight defense, picks, shots being contested. The problem was that they did not establish early how the game was going to be called, and they would call some they shouldn't and others they should. As far as it favoring either team or preventing CW from winning, that is ridiculous. If they had called the game tight and every foul the home crowd thought CPA committed, the CW guard that defended Campbell would have fouled out in a quarter. Actually until the end, CPA had more fouls than CW.

With that said, CW was very impressive and will have a shot in Murf. if they shoot well. Lots of great athletes that play very hard. Their lack of size inside hurts them on defense, not so much offensively.

Great crowd and atmosphere. Others may not like CPA in public arena (I get it) but look what excitement it brought to Charlotte last night. Thanks for being great region hosts, CW.

They tried to double team Blackwell WITH Edmonson in the 2nd half. That didnt work either

I can understand why that did not work unless you have the size and athleticism.  Blackwell is too athletic and skilled.  I would think a better strategy would be a more sagging man to man, invite both Blackwell Campbell to shoot jumpers and hope you can keep them from getting to the basket.  

...when public & private school graduates go to college do they attend different colleges or are they mixed together? When they enter the job market will the public school graduates have to compete for jobs against the private school graduates or just public school graduates? IMO, all public & private schools should compete against each other if for no other reason than to show everyone that at it's core it is just kids playing basketball.

Yes, let's continue to erode at our culture moving down into high school sports to teach our kids how attractive it is not play within the spirit of fair competition and how tempting it is to give into certain tangible benefits by creating unfair advantages.  What a great lesson for our youth.  

I am a public school graduate and I will be the first to tell you my school did their best to attract student/athletes. I have never seen a school, public or private that did not recruit. Are you going to tell me that if the family of a top 100 high school basketball players was looking at moving to the Dickson County area the Creekwood coaching would not do their best to encourage the family to enroll the player at Creekwood?

I would say it happens but overall you would be incorrect. I would still say many coaches have their own families and take care the kids that want to be at the school and want to play basketball. Many coaches build successful programs without recruiting.

Once again it is the failure of adults (TSSAA, administrators, coaches, parents) to display the proper values.  If you think the spirit of the TSSAA rules supports moving to a school for basketball purposes you would be mistaken.  You want to solve the problem, then make everyone who transfers into a school when eligible to play HS basketball (8th grade in TN), sit out a year during grades 9-12.  If schools take advantage by bringing them in the 7th grade, keep moving the penalty down.  At least one could have more respect and think there are legitimate reasons for a move to a different school system if willing to sit out a year and actually make a sacrifice which is what is supposed to happen when transferring for athletic purposes. You think Bradshaw (or a host of others) would have transferred if he had to sit out his junior year?  

As a complete outsider that never attended Creekwood or CPA I feel confident in saying that CPA has the best coaching staff in Tennessee. The staff showcases the players at the national level and therefore the program receives national accolades. If families are moving to the Nashville area and have a child that is a good player they seek out the best available program. That program could be a public school program or a private school program. For those that are asking for all public & private schools to be in different classifications I ask the question; when public & private school graduates go to college do they attend different colleges or are they mixed together? When they enter the job market will the public school graduates have to compete for jobs against the private school graduates or just public school graduates? IMO, all public & private schools should compete against each other if for no other reason than to show everyone that at it's core it is just kids playing basketball.

We all know how they recruit. AAU !!!  The TSSAA needs to put a halt to this out of state recruiting. You are correct that once they get their program built up others will come just like other schools (private and public) have done.

As a complete outsider that never attended Creekwood or CPA I feel confident in saying that CPA has the best coaching staff in Tennessee. The staff showcases the players at the national level and therefore the program receives national accolades. If families are moving to the Nashville area and have a child that is a good player they seek out the best available program. That program could be a public school program or a private school program. For those that are asking for all public & private schools to be in different classifications I ask the question; when public & private school graduates go to college do they attend different colleges or are they mixed together? When they enter the job market will the public school graduates have to compete for jobs against the private school graduates or just public school graduates? IMO, all public & private schools should compete against each other if for no other reason than to show everyone that at it's core it is just kids playing basketball.

That makes no sense. Colleges and employers can recruit/hire who they please. Public schools, mostly, are stuck with the cards they're dealt. All private schools should be in a separate division. It's not about the individual kids and their own abilities, it's about ensuring an even and fair competition. Privates have an unfair advantage, that's as clear as day.

CPA ought to reconsider its mission. It's arrogant to say your teams are better because you have better coaches. It hypocritical to claim your school doesn't recruit even though your best players year-in and year-out are transfers. It's cowardly to refuse to play in a division with other schools that recruit openly so you can dominate a division that doesn't. And it's irrelevant what happens at other schools anyway...claiming "everybody does it" doesn't cut it for a school that's supposed to be Christ-centered. CPA speaks with a forked-tongue. So go on praying before tip-off. Cover your walls with sanctimonious epitaphs. Have your little chapel services and stand on your street corners thanking God every day you aren't like all those public school heathens. Just know this: We heathens know you are talking the talk because you don't walk the walk. In my reading of the New Testament, the only people Jesus had little tolerance for were a certain group of holier-than-thou Pharisees. Seems winning was all they cared about too.  

• Upvote 1