GCA at Jefferson County

gcapride

Some of the smack talk is childish nonsense. Everyone is entitled to make a prediction and guess what, most are made with the heart not what they really know. I could of made a better guess had I went by Pilot and picked up a Prep Extra and noticed the Jefferson Roster had 82 players and that being grade 10-12. That is having a lot better crop to pick from than GCA had. Have no understanding why a game like that got on the schedule but it did and we saw the results. That is the reason they have them paired up in six different classes. I have seen Grace play before and they have a good team that can compete in their own class and maybe one class higher without many problems. My thoughts before the season was that they would go 8-2 and lose the first two then I began to hear from Alcoa fans how awful Jefferson looked in a scrimmage and what a waste of time for them to have played a team like that because they gained nothing from it.  It will take a week or two before things start to make sense and it will be easier to guess who will win or lose.

Whew!  I was really worried about the game last night given our 2-8 record last year and GCA's success.  I thought we were better than last year but I didn't see that coming.  Grace definitely had receivers get behind us a few times but they were never able to connect for the big play except for the catch #34 (I think) made over #11 and the late TD pass against out backups.  My son is a Junior WR/DB for the Patriots.  He had 2 of the 3 interceptions including the one in the end zone.  He hurt his shoulder in the 7 on 7 at Powell and was just released last Monday.  He missed all of fall camp.  Needless to say, he's a little sore today.

Good luck to Grace this season.

Edited by theroyz71

Whew!  I was really worried about the game last night given our 2-8 record last year and GCA's success.  I thought we were better than last year but I didn't see that coming.  Grace definitely had receivers get behind us a few times but they were never able to connect for the big play except for the catch #34 (I think) made over #11 and the late TD pass against out backups.  My son is a Junior WR/DB for the Patriots.  He had 2 of the 3 interceptions including the one in the end zone.  He hurt his shoulder in the 7 on 7 at Powell and was just released last Monday.  He missed all of fall camp.  Needless to say, he's a little sore today.

Good luck to Grace this season.

Now thats a good post!Good luck to your son and JCo.
  • Upvote 1

There is a lot of talk on the CAK at Grace thread that is about the game against Jeff Co and I wanted to comment on that, so I placed it here, where I feel is the appropriate place.

I did pick Grace in this game. Regardless of the size disparity. Jeff Co had what appeared to be a very weak team, regardless of the fact they are a huge school. Over the years, I have watched much smaller schools such as CAK or Webb or others knock off a much larger school, and I fully expected that to happen in this game. So yes, I was SHOCKED when I saw the outcome, and especially the score. Had JC squeaked by, or won in a low scoring 14-7 game or something, it would not have shocked me so much, but I literally checked several sources because I (again literally) thought the source I first read had the scores reversed and that GCA had scored 48.

But what really made it make sense was when I found out that Grace just had a horrible night. 5 TO's, etc. Maybe JC is better than we all thought they were going to be, and even maybe GCA is not quite as good as we thought they would be this year, but the real issue in this game sounds to me like it was just a great night for JC and horrible night for GCA. If they played 5 times, it may have only gone this way 1 of those 5 (perhaps).

I have no idea about the play calling or who the coaches had in the game, but I do have a lot of respect for the Grace coach and I'd be shocked if he let anything get in the way of giving his team the best chance to win.

There is a lot of talk on the CAK at Grace thread that is about the game against Jeff Co and I wanted to comment on that, so I placed it here, where I feel is the appropriate place.

I did pick Grace in this game. Regardless of the size disparity. Jeff Co had what appeared to be a very weak team, regardless of the fact they are a huge school. Over the years, I have watched much smaller schools such as CAK or Webb or others knock off a much larger school, and I fully expected that to happen in this game. So yes, I was SHOCKED when I saw the outcome, and especially the score. Had JC squeaked by, or won in a low scoring 14-7 game or something, it would not have shocked me so much, but I literally checked several sources because I (again literally) thought the source I first read had the scores reversed and that GCA had scored 48.

But what really made it make sense was when I found out that Grace just had a horrible night. 5 TO's, etc. Maybe JC is better than we all thought they were going to be, and even maybe GCA is not quite as good as we thought they would be this year, but the real issue in this game sounds to me like it was just a great night for JC and horrible night for GCA. If they played 5 times, it may have only gone this way 1 of those 5 (perhaps).

I have no idea about the play calling or who the coaches had in the game, but I do have a lot of respect for the Grace coach and I'd be shocked if he let anything get in the way of giving his team the best chance to win.

My son plays for Jefferson County.  Although the record may not show it at the end of the year, they are a much better team than they were last year.  They have a lot of talent at the skill positions.  I think Jeff County would win 4 out of 5 this year.  BTW, I only recall 4 turnovers for Grace, 3 interceptions and a fumbled lateral pass.  I could be wrong though.

Edited by theroyz71

My son plays for Jefferson County.  Although the record may not show it at the end of the year, they are a much better team than they were last year.  They have a lot of talent at the skill positions.  I think Jeff County would win 4 out of 5 this year.  BTW, I only recall 4 turnovers for Grace, 3 interceptions and a fumbled lateral pass.  I could be wrong though.

Congratulations to your young man and the JC fans. I grew up in Oak Ridge and spent a lot of time at your stadium or playing JC at Blankenship, before moving to Knoxville and sending my kids to CAK. So while there was a time that the name JC made me want to throw up (haha) I would love nothing more than for your program to be back where it belongs, at or near the top. Good luck this year.