Tennessee High wins Ed Cressel Classic

tmarshall7

As THS wins Cressel Classic, East's Hicks gets some redemption

Allen Gregory | Bristol Herald Courier | Updated 8 hours ago

BRISTOL, Va. – Sullivan East senior wrestler Luke Hicks took time for a quick celebration Saturday after winning in the finals of the Ed Cressel Classic.

Considering his early season gauntlet, Hicks deserved a party.

“I actually cut about 15 pounds in two weeks so I could wrestle in the 145-pound weight class,†Hicks said.

In addition to intensive training and steam room sessions, the Hicks method to weight loss featured a diet of egg whites, broccoli, water and tuna.

“Yes, I ate a lot of tuna from packages,†Hicks said. “It was a tough experience that I don’t want to go through again, but I definitely feel that I have a better shot wrestling at 145 than I did in the 152-pound class.â€

Hicks, who made his 145-pound tournament debut last weekend, posted a 6-3 decision over Tennessee High’s Harold Johnson in Saturday’s finals. Hicks fended off repeated takedown attempts in the final period.

After losing to Ty Boyd (Rural Retreat) and Corbin Hurley of THS in the finals of the Cressel Classic the past two years, Hicks felt a sense of redemption Saturday.

“It’s great to finally be at the top here,†he said.

The heroics of Hicks were not enough to keep Tennessee High from the team title. The Vikings won six weight classes en route to a total of 298 points. Sullivan East (183.5 points), Galax (181.5) and Virginia High (175) were next in line.

As usual, junior Trent Nelson ignited THS by grabbing the 106-pound crown and improving his record to 28-1.

Surviving an early takedown from Elijah Hicks of Sullivan East, Nelson went to work with a reversal before recording a pin at the 45-second mark.

“I always try for a pin to set the tone for the guys ahead of me,†Nelson said. “That [takedown] made me a little mad and helped with my motivation.â€

Nelson is a two-time regional champion who has over 100 career wins and is currently ranked second in the state. His story of sacrifice and success is illustrative of the THS program.

“I’ve been wrestling for a long time, and the experience helps,†Nelson said.

Nelson learned the basics of wrestling with the Viking Wrestling Club which later morphed into the Bristol Wrestling Club.

“Our program is really strong and we push each other every day in practice,†Nelson said.

Tennessee High freshman Dillon Pendley recorded a 6-4 win at 113 pounds, and then the spotlight turned to the 132-pound Battle of Bristol clash between Tennessee High senior Corbin Hurley and junior Roger Miller of Virginia High.

Miller paced up and down the adjoining mats with a mask of intensity and displayed all sorts of quickness, but Hurley relied on his flawless technique and conditioning to record a 6-1 decision.

“It’s always nice to wrestle skilled guys and Roger is one of the toughest guys I’ve faced this season,†Hurley said.

With his flexibility and strength, Hurley countered every move from Miller and finished strong.

“Our team approach is to wrestle hard for all six minutes,†Hurley said. “By the third period, we feel that we’re in better condition and that’s usually where we win our matches.â€

Hurley has a 30-1 record, including a 6-2 decision over Miller last week at THS. After compiling 135 career wins and grabbing a second-place finish in the state tournament last year, Hurley hopes to become the first four-time regional champion in school history this season.

“I’ve been wrestling since the third grade and a lot of guys on our team started around the same time,†he said. “We learn the fundamentals early and go from there.â€

Miller briefly trained with the Bristol Wrestling Club after moving with his family from the Chicago area in the fifth grade.

“It was a tough adjustment to a new area, but wrestling has really helped,†said Miller, who finished fourth in the state meet last year and has a 20-3 record this season.

Hurley and Miller wished each other good luck before Saturday’s match, then Hurley excited the fans in the opening seconds when he executed a deft single-leg move and then slammed Miller to the mat.

“[Hurley] pushed the pace a lot more in this match,†Miller said. “I tried to use my quickness and strength, but he’s such a smart kid. You have to keep your composure, and I didn’t do a good job of that.â€

The highlight for Virginia High came when Adam Lauman won at 195 pounds. After nearly pinning Sam McCoy of Sullivan East early in the match with a cradle, Lauman executed a screw pin at the 3:03 mark.

“Those have been my two favorite moves since eighth grade,†Lauman said. “You have to be aggressive and show them your strength.â€

Lauman can relate to the travails of Hicks after he failed to meet weight Saturday morning.

“I normally wrestle in the 182-pound weight class, but I weighed in at 184 pounds and four ounces and I just decided to wrestle at 195,†Lauman said. “Each opponent today probably had six or seven pounds on me, but it’s a mental thing and you just have to wrestle your best. I finished second in the regional last year, and I’ve improved a lot since last year.â€

VHS coach Josh Shuler was pleased with how Lauman responded to the challenge Saturday.

“He adjusted well to the weight change and we knew he would,†Shuler said. “We plan to move Adam back to 182 pounds because that’s where he’s most comfortable.â€

The Bearcats will compete in the Southwest District Duals Tuesday at Abingdon before hosting the Best of Bristol on Wednesday.

Wise County Central freshman Casey Bush was named outstanding wrestler after capturing the 170-pound title with a 6-1 decision. Bush is the son of Lee Bush, who coached Castlewood to a state championship after a record-setting wrestling career at the same school.

“I was surprised to win the award today,†Casey Bush said. “I just wrestled hard.â€

Casey Bush earned his victory the hard way Saturday, battling through shoulder pain for more than half the match.

“My shoulder got jerked around,†he said. “It didn’t come all the way out of the socket, but I could feel it moving around. It hurt a little.â€

Senior Caleb Spurlin, who played a key role in the Division 1 state football title for Galax, displayed his other talent Saturday by storming to the 220-pound title. A two-time state champion, Spurlin needed only 1:10 to win by pin in the finals.

The list of Saturday’s champions also included Bryson Henley, Jeremy Spangler and Dewey Pendley of THS along with Logan Chase and John Stiltner of Sullivan East.

No wrestler was happier than Hicks of East.

“I don’t want to see any more tuna until after the season,†he said. “I feel a lot better in my current weight class.â€

agregory@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Greg_BHCSports | (276) 645-2544

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/as-ths-wins-cressel-classic-east-s-hicks-gets-some/article_4a95bef8-b751-11e5-a1f2-9b142a5c10fd.html?mode=jqm

Edited by tmarshall7

Tournament Results

106 Results

Guaranteed Places

1st Place - Trent Nelson of Tennessee High

2nd Place - Elijah Hicks of Sullivan East

3rd Place - Ta Strother of Robert E. Lee

4th Place - Nate Bemis of Galax

5th Place - Ben Maxwell of Rockbridge

6th Place - Andrew Robinette of Virginia High

113 Results

Guaranteed Places