Maryville State Champions

K2ruth

I may be getting a little sidetracked here, but what's wrong with playing for your hometown school? AC has a very solid volleyball program, so I wouldn't call it a waste at all. Even if I were an "elite" talent and grew up in a place like Norris, why on earth would I want to transfer or move all the way to Maryville? For academics, sure. For football, maybe. But for volleyball? Come on. In the end, academics matter. Sports don't.

If he wants to stack a team, let him do it on the club level. TSSAA has laid out specific rules to help prevent these issues at the high school level.

It's obvious you're not drinking the Kool aide. The my kids 14 so they are going to be on The Olympic team or win some kind of championship in club or school that only certain people will know about and it will give balance to the force. Sports today. Can you imagine what sports will look like in 20 or 30 years?

Someone better really check the rules before these kids have to sit out and miss the year playing volleyball.I'm against transferring but I've been against it for year's. Basketball is some areas is just as bad or worse.

K2 is a good club. My daughter play for Jay and Chris personally but didn't leave AC

Edited by Hopi

Maryville wants a volleyball program that is an elite program like its football team. If it means Jay is an "unofficial" coach that will work.

Hopi, if your daughter had a chance to play for Jay in high school instead of having to waste four years of high school ball at Anderson County wouldn't you have taken it?

No my daughter would not have gone anywhere that I promise you and she did just fine in high school. three state appearances 1 runner-up, two final fours, College 3 national championship appearances 2 final fours and 1 national runner up.

With Jay at Maryville they haven't won anything just yet. If they have as much success as AC did at that time more power to them and maybe they will.

My daughter didn't have to chase a coach to have a successful happy career. She was happy and successful wow what a concept.

Edited by Hopi

But Hopi, think of what she could have done with Jay for club and high school. You can't compare the two. I am sure your daughter had "fun" in high school, but I promise you she learned how to play volleyball and was able to play in college because of what she learned in club. High school coaches not associated with a club don't really do much real coaching. This way the players get real coaching in both high school and club!

Let me clear up a few things that have been misrepresented here by K2ruth, who obviously is a troll and knows nothing about me or K2 volleyball club. 1. I am not coaching at Maryville in any way, shape, or form. Never been to a practice, nor do I plan on going. 2. My daughters are also not transferring to Maryville. They will be at Webb where they have been since they were freshmen. 3. We have several High School coaches that coach for us at K2, including my wife Chris. The notion that K2 is somehow anti high school is ridiculous. My wife coaches high school, and both my daughters play high school volleyball. We are proud when any K2 kids have success playing for and representing their school. They don't need to play for me to get "real coaching." Lastly, as a dad of two girls playing high school volleyball, I enjoy reading the predictions and opinions about who is the best, who will win district, state, etc.. on this board. Volleyball is being played on a high level all across the state from Memphis to Knoxville. I don't normally comment on any threads, just read them, but this thread was so far off base I just wanted to set the record straight.

J. Hames

K2 Volleyball Club

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

look folks, K2 get's on here every year and makes a ridiculous prediction about a Knoxville AAA team winning the state and having the best talent in the state with the best coach in the state.  Then she takes shots at other Knoxville coaches and programs.    Then at the end of the year when Bearden, Karns, Farragut or any other team loses to Ravenwood/Brentwood or DB a few years ago she disappears.  I would love nothing more than Maryville to win the state, but let's pump the breaks a little.  I've seen every State Champion in the last 20 years and this Brentwood team is loaded.  BTW, the Ravenwood team from a few years ago is the best TN high school team I have seen. 

I meant wasting four years playing high school at Anderson County when she could have played four years of high school with a coach like Jay Hames. HS is important, that is why Jay is sharing his time at Maryville.

Give me a break here!!!!!!!   High School is important?  Did you not ask the question at one time about why girls waste there time playing high school volleyball and should just play club?  Don't get me wrong I think club is great and I coached club volleyball and so did my wife. It was fun,but high school sports are awesome, because you get to support your school and play for your community.  You can go ahead and put your dumb Maryville transfer team together and watch Brentwood destroy them this year.

• Upvote 1

look folks, K2 get's on here every year and makes a ridiculous prediction about a Knoxville AAA team winning the state and having the best talent in the state with the best coach in the state.  Then she takes shots at other Knoxville coaches and programs.    Then at the end of the year when Bearden, Karns, Farragut or any other team loses to Ravenwood/Brentwood or DB a few years ago she disappears.  I would love nothing more than Maryville to win the state, but let's pump the breaks a little.  I've seen every State Champion in the last 20 years and this Brentwood team is loaded.  BTW, the Ravenwood team from a few years ago is the best TN high school team I have seen. 

Brentwood will start 6 players who will play college volleyball, 5 will be D1 players.  1 is arguable the top sophomore in the country.....USA Volleyball says she's at least top 12.  They are loaded.

I truly enjoy the hyperbole on this message board. Fact is we are lucky that the Southeast is catching up to the rest of the nation and are playing at the same level as the other regions in the country. The reason is the strong clubs and club coaches and the fact the girls are able to practice and play all year. Most of the high school coaches now coach or are involved all year in volleyball, the top programs anyway. For a spectator its a real treat. I am glad Nashville has weighed in on this too, its been too quiet up there. Lots of great teams up there. The top teams are pretty close and all teams have to bring their A game to compete. I've seen most all of these teams play and there are some real talent and great coaching. We should keep it fun on this message board. Its going to be a great season of volleyball. In the spirit of this message board, its going to be the best season ever, the coaches and players are the best that's ever been in the state of TN. EVER! B)

Respectfully, every starter at Webb transfered from another school to play for coach Hames. They won multiple state championships. No one said anything. This is going to happen at Maryville. No one at Bearden or the other schools has complained because it is best for the girls. Maryville and Coach will allow anyone good enough to play at Maryville to come. You can't tell me that this doesn't occur with football. Under your reading of this rule what's to stop coach Hames from just running practice and sitting behind the bench to coach?

I recently heard about this thread and the misinformation being put out by K2ruth.  I created an account to read for myself, and it's absolutely laughable how far from reality this information is.

I want to address the blatant lie stated above by K2ruth.

Every single player on Webb's 2015 team, with the exception of Chris & J Hames' two daughters, was enrolled at Webb well before Chris was hired as the school's volleyball coach.  The majority entered the Middle School as 6th graders, and several have been at Webb since Kindergarten and 1st grade.

In fact, the 2015 senior class (5 players - 2 of whom have gone onto to play D1 volleyball) played their freshman year for former Coach Dennis Ray.

I'm sure Webb was thrilled to hire Chris in order to be an added attraction to volleyball families considering the school.  That's the same reason they've hired other outstanding coaches -- David Meske for football, Shelley Collier & Ricky Norris for basketball, Jimmy Pitkanen for tennis, Jared Ziegler for soccer, etc.  And it's the same reason they hire the best people they can find for their theatre, arts, robotics, and music departments too.

• Upvote 1