• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

• Announcements

• CoachT

Report Scores to CoachT.com   08/12/2017

There are several choices for reporting scores to CoachT.com! In-game scores (updates during game) can be added on the Scoreboard by CoachT Plus members only All members can add final scores on our Scoreboard All members can add final scores on our Mobile Scoreboard All members can TEXT the finals to 615-763-9150 All members can leave a voicemail at 1-877-9COACHT (1-877-926-2248). You can also call that number to hear final scores wherever you are.
Sign in to follow this  
K2ruth

Maryville State Champions

chill    9

Not punishing the players. The rule is designed to stop club/AAU/travel baseball/etc coaches from influencing school choice. The girls in question are leaving their home school to go to the school where the club director coaches. This rule makes it very clear that the TSSAA believes this is recruiting. They believe it is blatant recruiting to the point that a change of address doesn't outweigh coach influence. It was designed to stop a certain Nashville private school basketball coach from getting players he was training to transfer. Whether he was influencing or the kid/parents made a decision doesn't matter to the TSSAA anymore. If a kid has been coached/trained/worked out in the last 12 months, the kid can not then transfer to that coach's school.

K2ruth    2

That is wrong. They have the chance to play for a great coach. Why should they be punished. I think given who these athletes are, and that it is Maryville, an exception will be made.

DyronNix    0

The rule might seem unfair from one side, but the other side doesn't feel the same. I am not a believer in transferring when a school has invested a spot in a certain individual that could of went to another kid who lost the opportunity to be a part of that team. Now another kid or two will lose a spot because of the transfer. Too many have forgotten that the kids should come first in high school athletics.

Plus it has been stated by k2 that they don't need high school anyway. So why bother with transferring.

That is wrong. They have the chance to play for a great coach. Why should they be punished. I think given who these athletes are, and that it is Maryville, an exception will be made.

LOL

anotherback    27

Not punishing the players. The rule is designed to stop club/AAU/travel baseball/etc coaches from influencing school choice. The girls in question are leaving their home school to go to the school where the club director coaches. This rule makes it very clear that the TSSAA believes this is recruiting. They believe it is blatant recruiting to the point that a change of address doesn't outweigh coach influence. It was designed to stop a certain Nashville private school basketball coach from getting players he was training to transfer. Whether he was influencing or the kid/parents made a decision doesn't matter to the TSSAA anymore. If a kid has been coached/trained/worked out in the last 12 months, the kid can not then transfer to that coach's school.

I like the rule but it will only slow down recruiting. Most is boosters/parents wanting better players on their kids teams. Saw it at EH a few years ago during summer camps. Watched a parent from one school go to an opposing schools players family. Told my wife she will move and play for them next year. Now lives in an assistant coaches families apartment from what I hear and has been at said school since. That's one case there are many many more. Almost every big school has kids move to them to play sometimes it's legit. How is the T$$AA supposed to sort it out? Automatic one year sit regardless of address change? Mostly it's parents fault. They try to win a championship in elementary then middle and the amount of times I hear that kids D 1 talent is a joke. Be realistic. Few in most sports have that.

K2ruth    2

Respectfully, every starter at Webb transfered from another school to play for coach Hames. They won multiple state championships. No one said anything. This is going to happen at Maryville. No one at Bearden or the other schools has complained because it is best for the girls. Maryville and Coach will allow anyone good enough to play at Maryville to come. You can't tell me that this doesn't occur with football. Under your reading of this rule what's to stop coach Hames from just running practice and sitting behind the bench to coach?

anotherback    27

Respectfully, every starter at Webb transfered from another school to play for coach Hames. They won multiple state championships. No one said anything. This is going to happen at Maryville. No one at Bearden or the other schools has complained because it is best for the girls. Maryville and Coach will allow anyone good enough to play at Maryville to come. You can't tell me that this doesn't occur with football. Under your reading of this rule what's to stop coach Hames from just running practice and sitting behind the bench to coach?

Happens in most sports. Does that make it right or even fair to the kids who don't or can't? Moral question. That's why I said it's mostly driven by parents.

chill    9

Webb is a private school in D-2, they can legally recruit. It's kind of interesting that you fail to see the difference. Maryville football kids come as freshman which is legal. Freshman can go to a school where their club coach works because they have not established an athletic record at another high school. Lastly, the football coaches only coach MHS football. They are not coaching on the 7v7 circuit and intentionally drawing kids to their school.

anotherback    27

Webb is a private school in D-2, they can legally recruit. It's kind of interesting that you fail to see the difference. Maryville football kids come as freshman which is legal. Freshman can go to a school where their club coach works because they have not established an athletic record at another high school. Lastly, the footbal

l coaches only coach MHS football. They are not coaching on the 7v7 circuit and intentionally drawing kids to their school.

Actually privates can recruit but they still have to sit a year in varsity unless the address changes or the new school is out of a certain radius. And if as in EH 8th graders on the same campus can play varsity for the highschool. In that case they also have to show change of address. Anyone can call the TSSAA and get the same info. Now the new rule about the coaching change and following them I don't know what takes precedent that or the change of address or radius rule.